Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whould you prefer to sell to
an investor 3 8.33%
someone who will live in the house 33 91.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,625,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The poll really needed a third choice.
Agreed. No preference here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:26 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,753,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Obviously, OP has a sense of responsibility toward the people living in the neighborhood. How nice to know that there are still people like that alive in The Zone Formerly Known as America.

Investors could turn the home into a rental unit. That happened in my old town, and endless grief to the decent people who had lived there for decades has been the result. All kinds of filth has moved into those rental houses.

Or the 'Investor' could knock down the home and put up a Section 8 InstaSlum building.

I think that caring about what happens to the people who have been one's neighbors is admirable. It's called Altruism. Real Americans are wired for Altruism.

it's not a section 8 issue. the neighborhood is too nice for section 8 and it's all single family. i would think about the neighbors, if i had the luxury of being able to pick from multiple offers and wouldn't have to pay much to choose a good fit for the neighborhood. i don't think all rentals are bad for neighborhoods. but what i do often see with rentals is more of a problem with the landlords, not the tenants. landlords tend to put as little into the property as possible, just taking care of very basic maintenance and often rentals get a rougher look, compared to the other homes.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,323,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
If you got an offer from both an investor and a person who will live in your home, what would you prefer. I see it as a difference in emotional attachment to the deal. I'd prefer to negotiate with someone who is less likely to walk away. If I take the deal with the investor, he probably would be more willing to let the deal go and that would mean we have less leverage in negotiations. What do you think?

I would prefer to sell the home to whomever comes up with the price I am asking for first. After I sell it I really don't care who does what with whom and where. Not my property any longer, not my concern.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,753,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would prefer to sell the home to whomever comes up with the price I am asking for first. After I sell it I really don't care who does what with whom and where. Not my property any longer, not my concern.

then do that

Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM

45,521 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Here's the thing, you might not want to sell your house to an investor but if he comes with a full price, no contingencies contract and you reject it you'll likely owe your real estate agent his full fee.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM

335 posts, read 670,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Obviously, OP has a sense of responsibility toward the people living in the neighborhood. How nice to know that there are still people like that alive in The Zone Formerly Known as America.

Investors could turn the home into a rental unit. That happened in my old town, and endless grief to the decent people who had lived there for decades has been the result. All kinds of filth has moved into those rental houses.

Or the 'Investor' could knock down the home and put up a Section 8 InstaSlum building.

I think that caring about what happens to the people who have been one's neighbors is admirable. It's called Altruism. Real Americans are wired for Altruism.
So can the non investor. BTW where i live the section 8 buildings are very nice pools, tennis courts, golf putting, very well manicured. Not all section 8 apts are instaslums

Old 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,108,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you think all renters are scum and will ruin a neighborhood. Interesting. I rented a house once.
You seem to have connected Section 8 with all renters.

All renters and section 8 are not the same group. Section 8 renters are a small group within the population of renters. I rented an apartment for several years before my wife and I had the down payment to acquire a house. We did not use section 8. When we looked for apartments, we only considered apartment complexes that absolutely refused to take section 8. Of course, when I asked them about it I pretended that I was using section 8 to pay for the apartment. If they knew I was avoiding section 8, they might lie to me and say they didn't take it

Back to original topic. I would sell the person with the best combination of net proceeds and likelihood of closing the deal. If they were very similar in both regards, I may sell to the person or family that I liked better out of respect for my neighbors. Since I respect them, I would not sell it to someone who planned to have loud parties and disrupt my (former in this scenario) neighbors unless the offer was significantly better.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,190,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
You seem to have connected Section 8 with all renters.
The person I quoted had issues with all renters. Perhaps your post should have been addressed to that person.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,275,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
We have about 60% rentals on our street. Of course money is important, but unless an investor came in at a significantly higher number than a live-in prospect, I would choose the live-in out of respect for my neighbors. An investor coming in that much higher is a situation I can't imagine happening, however.
Why should an investor pay more for the same property that someone who is going to live in it does? It's usually the other way around.

Investors know when to let a dog die.

If 60% of your neighbors are renters....who cares about the hood? Holding out for a higher selling price b/c the interested buyer is an "investor" MAY do nothing but raise the rent for all of your friends or bring in some section-8's.

Quote:
My most laughable experience with an investor came in Downingtown PA with the individual who put an insulting low-ball offer in and vehemently defending it by saying the needed to make money on the property too . . .
Without having anymore detail than what you offered; that's how the game is played.

No big shocker.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:29 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
All things being equal I'd prefer to sell to an owner/occupier rather than an investor, but it would honestly depend on the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate