Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livepaworkmd View Post
The sellers disclosure law in this state says that a seller has to disclose any legal action or threat of legal action against the property to the buyer.
OK. So what does your lawyer say about it then? What remedy is available to you if someone does not make the proper disclosure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
How are you able to obtain a mortgage without a current survey? In Texas, all financed properties have to have a survey approved by the lender and the title company as that's part of the title insurance, insuring the property lines.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 AM

45,362 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
How are you able to obtain a mortgage without a current survey? In Texas, all financed properties have to have a survey approved by the lender and the title company as that's part of the title insurance, insuring the property lines.
MD is fuzzy on that. For years all that was needed was a location survey-"Yep, there's a house at that address" and not a lot line survey. That's a good question, by the way, because the law was changed a few years ago to require a lot line survey if one had not been performed within the previous, I think, five years.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Have you received pre closing documents yet? Does it show the old mortgage payoff in full?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
A foreclosure notice is a lawsuit. I would postpone the closing and let my lender and title company know this new information and ask them what to do about proceeding forward.

Ignore the real estate agent about being in default, a new lawsuit against the property just came up two days ago, all they care about is their commission. They will lie to you repetitively until the deal goes through.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livepaworkmd View Post
The sellers disclosure law in this state says that a seller has to disclose any legal action or threat of legal action against the property to the buyer.
I just read through this thread and I agree with you that the seller should have disclosed the pending foreclosure. This is of course based on your statement above about the disclosure requirements of your state. However, I don't see how this is relevent to you so long as the bank does not foreclose prior to your closing. Once you own the property and the bank is paid in full at the closing table the foreclosure law suite will be gone like dust in the wind. As for the seller filing liens after you own the property . . . well once the deed is filed with your name on it then they're no longer the owner and cannot put liens on the house without your consent or a court action. The fact that they own other properties which are not in foreclosure is inconsequential. Everyone makes choices in life and these people made the one that works best for them by allowing this property to fall into foreclosure.

To me, this sounds a whole lot a serious case of first time homebuyer jitters.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
I'd certainly put the closing on hold or at least have the money put into escrow for 90 days. Since you said the seller has other properties, he could have easily bought materials for another one of his properties but used the house he's selling as the job address. If he doesn't pay, there will be liens filed on your new home. Will you have to pay them- probably not, but you will be out money to get the releases. This is not a good situation and frankly, I'd walk away from this problem child. You should get your down money back or file fraud charges against the seller since he obviously and deceitfully didn't disclose properly. I'll also be impressed that the clown doesn't strip the house of lights, switches, toilets, etc. Sounds like a low life seller to me.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'd certainly put the closing on hold or at least have the money put into escrow for 90 days. Since you said the seller has other properties, he could have easily bought materials for another one of his properties but used the house he's selling as the job address. If he doesn't pay, there will be liens filed on your new home. Will you have to pay them- probably not, but you will be out money to get the releases. This is not a good situation and frankly, I'd walk away from this problem child. You should get your down money back or file fraud charges against the seller since he obviously and deceitfully didn't disclose properly. I'll also be impressed that the clown doesn't strip the house of lights, switches, toilets, etc. Sounds like a low life seller to me.
This post is a good reminder as to why you should NEVER rely on anonymous online legal advice. Get a qualified real estate attorney to walk you through the closing. You're still too concerned about a "foreclosure" that will not happen if you buy the house.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I just read through this thread and I agree with you that the seller should have disclosed the pending foreclosure. This is of course based on your statement above about the disclosure requirements of your state. However, I don't see how this is relevent to you so long as the bank does not foreclose prior to your closing. Once you own the property and the bank is paid in full at the closing table the foreclosure law suite will be gone like dust in the wind. As for the seller filing liens after you own the property . . . well once the deed is filed with your name on it then they're no longer the owner and cannot put liens on the house without your consent or a court action. The fact that they own other properties which are not in foreclosure is inconsequential. Everyone makes choices in life and these people made the one that works best for them by allowing this property to fall into foreclosure.

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Yup. This ^^^.

The bank which has supposedly filed a foreclosure notice will get paid off at clsoing. The taxes are current, or the town/city has a claim at closing?

It sounds like you have not had an attorney with you from the beginning. Is that true?> How could this possibly happen<?

Your attorney, who did the original contract review, and has reviewed the transaction at each step along the way, will give you advice and guidance on whether to proceed. From 50,000 feet, i see no reason to not close the property and move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate