Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,430 times

Advertisements

I have heard mixed things on these. I know this may have been asked before, but I can't find it.

We have the option to purchase one. I have one agent tell me they are a big waste of money and another say they are helpful.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,991 times
I would say it depends on the house you're purchasing -- if it's relatively new, then you might want to skip a warranty. If you already had a home inspection and there were no "warning signs" of imminent failure of the major components, then it might be a waste of money. I ususally recommend them on older homes with owners who don't have the means to make major repairs if something were to break. Many people have family members who are in some type of business that could help with a plumbing repair, appliance repair, heating & AC repair, electrical repair, etc., or they're the do it yourself type of owners who will take care of anything that comes up. You need to decide how well prepared you are to take care of a problem that arises before you purchase a home warranty. And even with a warranty, you have to pay a "co-pay" to the service company and sometimes they only repair within minimal standards for the warranty company. I've had mixed results with buyers who have had to file for claims against the warranty - some are very pleased and others have run into problems getting the warranty company to cover the repairs (they have exclusions on what will or won't be covered).

Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
I will never own a house without one. They have saved me soooo much money over the years.

For example, the last house I bought was closed in Dec. It was run the heat time. The heat worked. Come late spring when it was time for A/C-no cold air. I had my A/C unit replaced for $55.

The house before that used the tar out of the warranty. I had plumbers, appliance repairmen, A/C duct & A/C condenser, and a new hot water heater & new dishwasher.

As others have said, if you are buying new you might be able to get away with it. I would not have a house more than 11 months old without.

Here is a link AHS Home Warranty Company - Taking the hassle out of home repairs - American Home Shield

Old 11-07-2007, 07:42 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,204 times
We had the AHS warranty in our old home and had our seller buy us one in our new home. It only covers items that break that have been maintained, like our almost 20 year old furnace that they almost had to replace. It ended up needing a $300 repair and we paid $55 for it. I love having a home warranty, it saves money on those things you didn't know you needed...

Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,304,113 times
We got a home warranty----you just never know!!! It beats the heck out of some expensive suprises down the road!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,976,886 times
I have an AHS home warranty and I'll always keep one on mine. My house is only 2 years old. Ask the agent who told you it was a waste of money if he's sure enough that he'll guarantee it for you? If he's willing to pay for a new AC or wiring or plumbing then by all means listen to him.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:09 PM

333 posts, read 1,991,430 times
yea she told me that it was a waste of money to make the buyer feel better..because there is a ton of small print..I was just curious cause we can get one with the house we are purchasing and are considering it.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 PM

304 posts, read 1,430,503 times
We also have an AHS home warranty, and have renewed it every year since we purchased our home two years ago. So far, it has more than paid for itself each year and we have been very pleased with the company. Our home is 21 years old and has the two original a/c units and furnaces. We plan to keep the warranty until our furnaces and a/c units bite the dust! After that, we will play it by ear and see if the warranty continues to be worth it (assuming we still live in this house).

Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM

582 posts, read 2,009,204 times
We took the AHS home warranty and added a little for the washer and dryer, in case they die on us too. We'll keep it going probably the whole time we own a home because every year we've had a reason to use it.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 PM

93 posts, read 326,019 times
I apparently got a different AHS! :P

Our house (that we're selling now) has had AHS since we bought it around 10 years ago. Since then they've declined to cover nearly ANYTHING. The few things they HAVE covered, they always found ways to cover as little as possible of it. For example, we had a waste pipe break under the house. They covered only the cost of replacing the actual pipe itself, and refusedto cover the cost of removing the portion of floor above it to gain access, or repairing the floor afterwards - which, of course, was by far the most expensive portion. It was always like that for us - everything we checked on, "we don't cover that" or some such.
We certainly won't be getting them for the new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate