Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,212,399 times

Advertisements

Asking what your goals were sounds like something they should have done - but I don't want to get into that discussion.

Communication needs duly noted. Anything you would like to see to help reduce costs or save time? Anything stand out that could be better from your perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I don't know.
Our house had its own website (now temporarily at 890 South Josephine Street, Bonnie Brae, Denver, CO 80209 USA)
The listing was accurate. I am a nerd about these types of things.

My only conclusion is what I heard from more than one agent: "Buyers are liars".
As soon as a I read your listing I cam away with the conclusion " I want to see this house". It is a fascinating story, seems to be one of the few homes which is constructed/rehabbed with a bona fide architect and a quality builder. Never mind that I have no interest in BUYING your house, I feel compelled to come see it!

You ought to think about that in your listing......it isn't necessarily listed to sell; it is listed to 'tell the story' of your project.

As to the original question, 'why do realtors bring buyers around to homes which don't meet the buyers criteria'? I have three thoughts.

I make no bones about the fact that I think most realtors are incompetent business people. There are so many homes for sale, and so many buyers, that if they can insert themselves between the two and fire enough shots, eventually you will kill a duck. Having said that, the realtors generally don't have a specific hard list of criteria. And even if they do, the realtors too often jump into the 'I think this house would be great for you' syndrome. Who really gives a darn what the realtor thinks? And it only muddies the waters.

Secondly, there are probably some situations where the buyers can't enumerate their desires. They want 'cute' or modern or move in ready, and realtors are too naïve to sort through the details before they hit the road. The do their 'wish list' by the process of elimination. You see enough houses and eventually you narrow down the search.

And then there are the 'I saw this house' crowd and I really want to look at it. No matter that it has five bedrooms and the buyer only wants/can afford two. Once again, the realtor keeps showing houses until the buyer jumps at one. Not to put this blame entirely on the realtor, as I am sure there are many buyers who can't list their wishes either, and yes, it does happen, where someone buys a house 'because they really loved it' even though it didn't meat their original wish list.

Overall, I would say it is a lack of effort...reading listings (realtor and buyer), and preparing a 'view list' which is accurate between listing information and buyer desires. Maybe that is what it comes down to anyhow: the best laid plans fall by the wayside and people just start looking at 'everything' until the spirit moves them to utter: this is the one!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 PM

121 posts, read 165,007 times
For the most part you aren't going to get useful feedback from buyers as long as "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all," adage remains a part of our culture. It would be great if we could at least suspend it for all business transactions.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think what would help that if real estate agents asked what the seller's goal is.

1. Make money?
2. Sell quickly?
3. What else?

Our agent didn't ask any of these questions. It wasn't until a week AFTER we were on the market that I said to her, what price do we need to be to sell the house quickly? (She did know our timeline for moving). She said $80,000 less than you are listed. Um...then why did you price us so high?!?

Communicate, communicate, communicate!

Our agent communicated in several different ways, email, text and phone. IMO, NEVER text or email. There were so many typos and emails that we almost lost a sale. She used email to negotiate.
It's obvious, this agent's motivation was to get herself sold to you. And it worked. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Next time around, hire the agent who makes you feel like #1.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM

492 posts, read 638,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
why do brokers show them these houses then ?.
Everyone knows that you are probably going to need to compromise on something when buying a house. Often, you can't tell what you can compromise on until you see the house.

For instance, some insist on 4 bedrooms because they need a home office. What if there is a nook that would work for a home office in an otherwise perfect three bedroom.

I wanted a tub in the master. Some listings didn't mention a tub, but I am also willing to remodel. Some houses have the space to do that, others don't.

I wanted a certain number of bathrooms, but am willing to add one if the floor plan allows.

One thing that would help a ton is if the houses had floor plans and plot plans you could see online before showing up. Some had floorplans with their packets, but at that point the owner has already had to clean...

Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Quote:
H why do brokers show them these houses then ?

Because buyers set their unrealistic list of criteria, then set a maximum price 20-30% below what the market gets for the house they are looking for. It's a choice, show them nothing, show them homes well above their limit that meet their criteria, or show them the closest options within their price range.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Back to the OP's original question.

The last house we sold was the 3rd time I sold a house. This was the easiest transaction of all for two reasons:

1. email. I had everything in writing. Eliminated any verbal miscommunications. I would often talk with our (outstanding) realtor by telephone or in person, BUT eventually anything important was put in writing. The only problem WE ever had with this was the realtor who was the agent for the buyers. She avoided email, preferring to not commit to much of anything, including schedules for inspections, etc.

2. electronic signatures. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that system. I wish my CFP would install it.

Any apps that you can develop that would make those two things more functional would be beneficial to buyers AND sellers, IMHO.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,212,399 times
Tks. for the info. Will have to look into the electronic sig. thing but assume that is likely beyond the scope of our capability. Interesting that you loved email communication and a previous posted hated it. Guess it goes to show that everyone has different likes and viewpoints.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Tks. for the info. Will have to look into the electronic sig. thing but assume that is likely beyond the scope of our capability. Interesting that you loved email communication and a previous posted hated it. Guess it goes to show that everyone has different likes and viewpoints.
Trust me, they'd love it when things get miscommunicated or lost in the shuffle.

In our current home, we were told verbally by the builder's agent that a certain structural upgrade was now included. Months later, after contracts were signed, we go to the pre-construction meeting and don't see it on the plans. The fact that our realtor had followed up in writing via email everything the agent had verbally told us and had confirmation emails is the only reason we didn't have to pay $10K for that upgrade.

Just one more example of why I always harp on "get it in writing" and "use a realtor".

Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
For the OP. I think the app you are looking for is called the internet. There has got to be such a plethora of information these days, I doubt there is a single "app" that can do what you think it might do to help a seller.

Buyers on the other hand might benefit from something that narrows down (filters/parses) all the chaff.

Every real estate transaction is unique and wouldn't easily lend itself to a cookie cutter approach in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate