Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 01:55 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post

We're in the process of searching for our retirement home, and finding homes with a master on the main living level is not as easy we we'd like. I think that's a critical feature in a home where you hope to grow old.
\

I hear you!! I'm looking for a one story home, not one with a bonus room upstairs or a loft, but one with all the rooms on one level. Very, very hard to find. Of course, there are the long, low ranches from the 1950-60's, but we don't want a home that old or in that area of town.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
\

I hear you!! I'm looking for a one story home, not one with a bonus room upstairs or a loft, but one with all the rooms on one level. Very, very hard to find. Of course, there are the long, low ranches from the 1950-60's, but we don't want a home that old or in that area of town.
Yes, almost every new-construction "over-55" home around here has a first-floor master, but some type of second-story bedroom(s) or loft. I suppose having everything on one floor would require too large of a lot size. I definitely wouldn't want anything on a second-story, even if it was just the guest bedroom -- you still have to clean it, change sheets, etc. As it is, I have a 60's rancher, but it has a basement laundry room. Luckily, I live alone and don't have a lot of laundry, 'cause those steps are knee-killers.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I do think that painting wide, old-growth trim is a cardinal sin. Yes, the trim makes the house a tiny bit darker (though not nearly so much as curtains/blinds that are closed in the daytime). But I think it's better to choose a different house than to do what is essentially irreparable damage.
Can you explain "old growth" trim please?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Corian died years ago but it is a durable product, they make faux stainless that doesnt show hand prints/smears. Glass tile backsplashes, rock front houses and infinity edge/rock waterfall pools are all going to be "Brady Bunch" features that people wish they didn't do!

Old 09-23-2013, 01:07 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I do think that painting wide, old-growth trim is a cardinal sin. Yes, the trim makes the house a tiny bit darker (though not nearly so much as curtains/blinds that are closed in the daytime). But I think it's better to choose a different house than to do what is essentially irreparable damage.
In my house, the trim that is currently painted is already painted. I am okay with that, but I would never paint wood trim of that type.

I don't feel my house looks dark at all with all the wood. But, I keep the place clean and clutter free, and did choose white blinds to counterbalance the "dark"

Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Can you explain "old growth" trim please?
Wood from trees that were over 100 years old when they were cut -- often 200-400 years old. The grain is different from other wood -- tight, straight, no knots, etc.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:22 PM

189 posts, read 643,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Corian died years ago but it is a durable product, they make faux stainless that doesnt show hand prints/smears. Glass tile backsplashes, rock front houses and infinity edge/rock waterfall pools are all going to be "Brady Bunch" features that people wish they didn't do!
I really love glass tile backsplashes. I hope that's one that sticks around and maybe evolves with different tile sizes and color palates to stay with the times.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM

5,211 posts, read 6,147,251 times
I have no idea

I do think wood flooring will always be a desired trend, but other than that we have come so far from the fifties where you had speckles in the ceiling texture, avacado and mustard appliances and bathroom fixtures in the 70's, heck Ikea is changing the way people decorate their homes now.

This past weekend I visited the home of my budies parents (recently deceased) they were painting...unmolested Cape from the fifties, all original pale yellow kitchen sink with matching pale yellow metal kitchen cabinets, original pulley with rope weigth windows. it was like stepping back in time.

Home improvement back then was keeping up with the maintenance of the home, not remodeling for onsuite bathrooms and mancaves.......if someone had their basement finished with a pool table and bar it was a big deal.

I would like to see the kitchen appliances go back to colors though, who would have thought people would want the same stainless that resturants and other industrial kitchens have always had.

Times change........I have a good friend ready to sell the house he has been in for ten years and the realtor told him to replace the formica with granite and swap in stainless appliances if he wants any interest in the home

Old 09-24-2013, 09:07 AM

189 posts, read 643,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Times change........I have a good friend ready to sell the house he has been in for ten years and the realtor told him to replace the formica with granite and swap in stainless appliances if he wants any interest in the home
I have a very high end kitchen in my home on the market (cooking is a major passion and hobby for me, as evidenced by both my waistline and my husband's!). So I went with the restaurant look. Not for aesthetics, but for quality. Wasn't cheap. When we were getting ready to list, I was informed that I was never going to get my money back from those appliances. I suggested I pull them out and put them in storage and I'll get whatever $600 GE special is on sale at Home Depot in the stainless finish.... that's all people want anyways, right?

The realtor talked me out of it, saying that buyers expect not only stainless, but high-end stainless. I just hope whoever ends up buying it appreciates the quality and didn't get excited because HGTV has told them that stainless = value.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM

5,211 posts, read 6,147,251 times
In the case of my friend, he is in a nice typical suburban cookie cutter type of neighborhood and most of the people are going for the look not the quality.

Your most likely at the pricepoint where people are looking at quality rather than asthetics.

It's amazing how times have changed, washer and dryers no longer have to be just quality workhorses they have to be fashionable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate