Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:57 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,996,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Thanks for the great tip! I don't have the ability to choose the remediation company without making an offer and deciding to do the remediation myself. I don't want to do this without seeing the remediation reduce spore levels to background.
If you want to, you can make an offer that says you do the remediation and they give you a credit for the cost, the offer contingent upon your satisfaction with the remediation.

I don't know your local market, but it seems likely you would be the only person interested in this house, so you could pretty much set your own terms.

Quote:
However, I will ask the seller for such a guarantee and see what happens. That should give me the same answer, of how extensive the problem was and how effective the remediation. I'll talk to the company that does the work as well.

There is no mold smell. It took detection equipment collecting a sample in a specific location to determine that there was mold and moisture. Levels were at background in most parts of the house. There are no visible or olfactory cues for moisture or mold. It is probably internal to the walls and won't be a small project or cost to fix.
Does it really not smell, or do they have air fresheners or something?

Anothe concern is that, if mold got in the walls, how did that happen? Were prior owners completely flakey with repairs, e.g. not replacing a badly damaged roof? Or (more likely) was the original construction and design done incorrectly? Either way, the mold is probably not the only problem. Have you had a whole house inspection? Pest and dryrot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 PM

189 posts, read 643,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I don't know your local market, but it seems likely you would be the only person interested in this house, so you could pretty much set your own terms.
I agree with this. Mold is going to be a problem for pretty much any buyer - it already cost the seller one sale.

You need to insist on your own guy to do the remediation. I have seen significant variances in what one inspector finds over the other. Don't trust a reading from one corner of the basement - it could have spread.

Did they disclose a specific event that caused the mold? Make sure that's addressed too. Was it a one time issue with a plumbing mishap? Or (more likely) is there a seepage issue that will cause concern of moisture every time it rains?

Since there is a fundamental flaw with this home, you have time to do it right. I'd be very aggressive with my contingencies AND price on this home as a buyer.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:

One specific question
When looking at comps, do larger houses typically sell at lower $/sqft?
If I see a 3000 sqft house sell at $200/sqft, should I then apply that $/sqft to a 2000 sqft house?

I would expect that smaller houses typically sell at higher $/sqft. What's the deal?
How would you expect one to answer this question without knowing where the house is located? What you're asking depends largely on the land value.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
The mold is guessed to be from leaky kitchen plumbing. The layout of the house is a little odd--with the kitchen upstairs and bedrooms downstairs. The mold readings were from a corner of a bedroom ceiling under the kitchen sink. Until they rip out part of the ceiling and the drywall and find the mold and the leaky pipe no one will know for sure. It looks like this might have been from an old repair that wasn't done properly, or there was a wet spot left from that repair that wasn't checked for mold.

It really doesn't smell, even without air fresheners, and the inspector reports the roof, walls, and foundations appear in good shape.

All my information comes from a full inspection and a mold inspection done by the previous buyers who backed out. It's very nice to have prior to making an offer. There are signs of rodent infestation (droppings) in the basement, so I also intend to put a guaranteed extermination in the contingencies.

It's nice to know that the mold issue might scare off other potential buyers, giving me a chance at this place.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:31 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
How would you expect one to answer this question without knowing where the house is located? What you're asking depends largely on the land value.
So there's no rule of thumb regarding larger houses in the same neighborhood having lower $/sqft than smaller houses?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
So there's no rule of thumb regarding larger houses in the same neighborhood having lower $/sqft than smaller houses?
It depends in if you're talking average or median, etc.

So ... Mold and a bad layout?

I would move on.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:08 AM

189 posts, read 643,671 times
If you go for this, I really suggest making sure it makes sense from a business perspective. I know it's a dream house scenario, but that's when your emotions get involved and make you think things like, "it's just mold, I can handle it" or "I can squeeze my budget a little bit more to afford this"....

Not saying don't go for it if it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but make sure you are basing your decision on your total cost of ownership - including resale. If you aren't able to get ahead of the mold problem and are selling in 5 years, you'll be the one on the hook finding the one buyer who is willing to look past it.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It depends in if you're talking average or median, etc.

So ... Mold and a bad layout?

I would move on.
Don't forget the rodent droppings...

Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
The mold is guessed to be from leaky kitchen plumbing.
Do you realize that even if the mold problem is "remediated" you will likely need to disclose the presence of mold if and when you go to sell? Most people will run from a house that has had toxic mold.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:14 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Quote:
No. In fact if you look at newer neighborhoods or even old ones where the land isn't worth much you'll see the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate