Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
The reason why I started this thread is because I'm about to close on a 2273 sq ft house,
4 bedrooms with an open loft/game room area. It's just me right now...

Seems like most people think that's too big of a house for a single/couple though.
No doubt. The phrase "too big" is subjective; but 2273sf is objectively over large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 12:08 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Everyone uses their homespace differently. So there is no right answer. I am self-employed so I have one room (12 x 14) just dedicated to filing cabinets!

Enjoy YOUR new home!!!
Wow, that's A LOT of files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I would not consider 2273 sf to be too large of a house for a couple. For a single, yes - for a couple - no. If you are young and dating, you might end up with a roommate in the near future and the house would be a good size for the two of you.
Absolutely, that's my thinking. I am younger and dating, so perhaps there will be a roommate at some time in the future. I moved a lot growing up, averaging one move a year from the age 14 to my mid-20s. So I really do not want to move again any time soon.

Quote:
However, other considerations are that you have to clean, heat & cool, furnish, put up window coverings, etc. for that large of a house and the costs and time add up.
Energy efficiency is foremost on my list of requirements for a house. This house is a new construction and is built with a lot of energy efficiency features, and lawn care (including irrigation) is covered by the HOA. My projection is that the utility cost will not be significantly higher (if at all) than my current 750 sq ft apartment. I may also consider adding a grid-tied solar PV system in the near future as well. As far as cleaning, I concede that will be a detriment. But I'm hoping at least having a Roomba will keep vacuuming to a minimum The house is spec'ed with window treatment already, but furnishing will definitely add cost. I also love DIY projects, so I expect to spend more money on those around the house.

Quote:
Also it appears that you live in Texas. All of my siblings and many old school friends are Texans and it is my experience that they like big houses in Texas. My former college roommate and her husband live in Dallas and just "downsized" from a 4500-5000 sf house to a 3500 sf house - just the two of them. If nothing else, it might be better for resale to have a slightly larger house.
Yes, my house would be considered relatively modest by Texas standards

Old 10-12-2013, 01:07 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Who cares what other people think?

I bought my house this summer - 3,100 sf just for me and my bicycles.

Do I NEED this much space? No. Did I get a killer deal in a quickly transitioning neighborhood for a brand new house? Heck yes. I paid under $90/sf and similar houses about 1/2 mile away are selling for $150/sf.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:37 PM

830 posts, read 1,537,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
The reason why I started this thread is because I'm about to close on a 2273 sq ft house, 4 bedrooms with an open loft/game room area. It's just me right now, but at some point I could possibly add another occupant. I have no plans to have kids. I feel like it's a little bit bigger than I need, but other than size, it fits all of my requirements. I do plan to use most of the space though - an office (I work from home often), a guest bedroom, and a theater/media room. I'm not too sure what to do with the open loft/game room yet, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure something out. Seems like most people think that's too big of a house for a single/couple though.
It really does all depend on what you need space for. I forgot to mention that my small house is on about 9 acres. It's mostly wooded so it's not like we really use all that space, but I suppose having a big yard and space to build outbuildings is certainly helpful when your house is small. If I wanted "specialty" space IN my house, bigger might be needed. Ideally I'd have a large workshop/studio area which I haven't thought as necessitating a larger house, since it's not residential space. I'd like it in an outbuilding or separate rented space. When you start talking about combining work spaces - paid work or hobby - then it's a different story and square footage needs start expanding.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:41 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Personally, I want to build a 10,000 sq ft home just for me. Is that too much ??

Old 10-13-2013, 10:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Personally, I want to build a 10,000 sq ft home just for me. Is that too much ??
I am all for that personally.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:08 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
I had a 2000 sq ft house for one adult and two kids (in Texas) and it was perfect. I would have been lost in that house by myself.

We now have 3000 sq ft for 2 adults and 3 kids. It's perfect - but we've already decided that when the kids move out many years down the road, we'll downsize to a house between 1250-1700 sq ft.

If it were just me, I'd be at or under the 1500 sq ft mark. I would want a master suite, a guest room, a library/sitting room, an office, a decent-size living area and an eat-in kitchen. So 3-4 bedrooms and 2 baths.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
FWIW, OP, I think it is the perfect size. You like it, and if it is slightly bigger than your needs/wants, that is so much better than being slightly smaller, where you would be reminded of that every time you had guests, life changes, etc. it is much easier and cheaper to close off space or let yourself enjoy the luxury of having it, than to add on.

Single people don't "need" smaller kitchens, baths, or other rooms than anyone else, especially when they have company, which many like to do. They just may not need as many bedrooms or garage spaces every day. And there is huge diversity in how all of us live, regardless of our "category."

I agree with people who said the layout is as important as the square footage.

So I hope you enjoy your new house for many years!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:19 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I had a 2000 sq ft house for one adult and two kids (in Texas) and it was perfect. I would have been lost in that house by myself.

We now have 3000 sq ft for 2 adults and 3 kids. It's perfect - but we've already decided that when the kids move out many years down the road, we'll downsize to a house between 1250-1700 sq ft.

If it were just me, I'd be at or under the 1500 sq ft mark. I would want a master suite, a guest room, a library/sitting room, an office, a decent-size living area and an eat-in kitchen. So 3-4 bedrooms and 2 baths.
I haven't really seen any 4 bedroom houses under 1500 sq ft in TX. I don't even recall seeing any recently that's under 1700 sq ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
FWIW, OP, I think it is the perfect size. You like it, and if it is slightly bigger than your needs/wants, that is so much better than being slightly smaller, where you would be reminded of that every time you had guests, life changes, etc. it is much easier and cheaper to close off space or let yourself enjoy the luxury of having it, than to add on.

Single people don't "need" smaller kitchens, baths, or other rooms than anyone else, especially when they have company, which many like to do. They just may not need as many bedrooms or garage spaces every day. And there is huge diversity in how all of us live, regardless of our "category."

I agree with people who said the layout is as important as the square footage.

So I hope you enjoy your new house for many years!
Thanks I was getting really tired of having to move the coffee table out of the way to put down an air mattress in my small living room every time I have overnight guests.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM

504 posts, read 851,823 times
For me personally, if I were by myself I would definitely want something under 1000 sq ft. Less to clean But I don't have kids, or have people stay over, or have all that much 'stuff'.

But really it's more the location that is important to me rather than house size. Everything else being equal, I would take a 700 sq ft home somewhere with a nice climate near the beach in a city/town I loved over a 4000 sq ft home somewhere not near the coast/bad (to me) climate every day of the week. Two of us live in a ~1000 sq ft condo at the moment, and it's more than enough room for us and 3 cats.

To each their own. I have one friend that lives alone in a 4400 sq ft home and she loves it *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate