Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 13,246 times

Advertisements

Our house has been on the market for 7 weeks and we have had only 4 showings. Those 4 showings were in the first 2 weeks. We have had no showings at all in 5 weeks. We feel we are overpriced and would like to lower the asking price.

Our listing agent is taking, on average, 2-3 days to return our phone calls and e-mails. Before we signed the contract to list, our agent answered the phone immediately or returned calls/e-mails within an hour! We told our agent we want to reduce the price via voice mail (again) a few days ago and have not received a return phone call yet. This is not the first time we have asked to reduce price. The agent has come up with an excuse why we should not reduce the price every time we have asked to do so, but we are tired of waiting. No interest at all in 5 weeks leads me to believe we are not priced right.

We signed a contract and must keep the house listed with this agent until spring.

Is there any way out of this contract so we can list with another agent? Should we stick with this agent and hold on until spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:56 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Who is her/his managing broker?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,586 times
a good agent will allow you to fire them at any time (unless you are trying to defraud them). 6 months is insanely long in any decent market at all.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Your next call should be to the agents broker. Let him/her know that the agent is giving you sub par service and you want a different agent to represent you. I would say that you want out of the contract due to the agents in attentiveness and reluctance to sell your property. Keep track of all your calls and the amount of time it takes the agent to respond. Then go speak to the broker. The agent works for the broker.

6 months for a sale agreement is too long. The agent is no hurry to sell. He's probably keeping you on the back burner or maybe a pocket listing where he may try to double end the deal. If he finds a buyer he may want to represent both the seller and buyer to capitalize on the full commission. I would get a different agent. I wouldn't do more than a 90 day agreement. That's plenty of time to sell a reasonable priced property

Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,586 times
I bet you would like to know how many buyer's agents blew off your listing, because your LA didn't return their calls, either.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
6 months is standard in my area, especially having a listing extending over the holidays. I do agree with calling the agent's broker and asking for a new agent to be assigned to you. If you want to drop the price, the agent needs to do it.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:32 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Funny this is exactly the opposite of many threads you see here!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:43 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Six months is pretty standard around here, too, and we have a hot market. I didn't see where the OP said he had a 6 month listing agreement but any agent who does not return your call (assuming it comes to you during business hours) the same day is not servicing the listing properly, in my opinion, and I've never heard of an agent who minded a seller who wanted to lower the price! If your agent is so busy that he/she can't return your call promptly or lower YOUR price when asked, then why aren't you getting more showings?!! Talk to the managing broker and either get everything back on track with your agent or tell the broker you want a new agent...now.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Be prepared

1. Document every transaction with the agent.
2. Re-read your contract. Look for escape clauses.
3. Contact the agent's boss.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:53 PM

92 posts, read 202,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
a good agent will allow you to fire them at any time
Right, I would call and ask their broker to release you from the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate