Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM

4,676 posts, read 10,006,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you go back and forth negotiating, a 4 in the first number of the final price might be a psychological boost for the seller. ($401k)

Don't let them know you need a ranch.

If this house doesn't work out, you could consider 2 story homes and evaluate the cost/possibility of adding an elevator for mobility. $20k range. Home elevators are getting more common these days and can be added after-the-fact.
I've already been through those numbers. Adding an elevator which can accommodate a scooter is extremely expensive for the elevator itself, not to mention the additional work required on the house. For my current center hall colonial .. with all the re-engineering I was looking at over $60,000 plus finish work just for the elevator. Then I'd have to redo at least the master bath, widen some hallways and reconfigure the kitchen to accommodate turning space. Then there's adding a generator, changing the exterior steps to ramps and tearing down the garage to rebuild it attached to the house. Finally, adding a first floor laundry.

This is the 5th house in two years I put an offer on. The other 4 fell out of contract because of contingencies. Primarily due to bad surveys. All the offers were within 6% of listing price....because they were priced correctly to market. And our market has gotten worse in the meantime.

So I just sit and wait. If this falls through, I'll have little choice but to build. I already have pricing for a 2800 sqft Craftsman ranch.. 3/2/2 plus den and screened in rear porch on .96 acre on cul de sac. Town water and sewer, natural gas, central air.....more millwork than I care to dust, high end kitchen and tiled baths, first floor laundry room. All the allowances for appliances exceed what I would select.. ditto for cabinetry,hardwood flooring, counters. $649,000. I just don't have the patience anymore. But if needs must.. as they say.

So I sit and wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 06:08 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,375,643 times
Even with a cash offer you should make an appraisal one of the contingencies.

You're in a tough spot because appraisers shouldn't use two-story homes you describe in the neighborhood as comps. One compares a ranch to a ranch and a two-story to a two-story.

Are the tax records available public information? Assessments for tax purposes are generally not a good way to determine price, but in this instance it "might" help. You might try comparing the tax assessments for the two sold properties to the sales prices to determine if there is a pattern. For example are the houses selling for "x" percent above/below tax assessments? It may give you an idea about this house.

How property is assessed for taxes varies tremendously from state to state. Many places claim they use market value, but how that market value is determined is important. How often are properties re-assessed is also important. Ask your agent how it's done in this area and how often. Those numbers may prove useful in this situation.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Even with a cash offer you should make an appraisal one of the contingencies.

You're in a tough spot because appraisers shouldn't use two-story homes you describe in the neighborhood as comps. One compares a ranch to a ranch and a two-story to a two-story.

Are the tax records available public information? Assessments for tax purposes are generally not a good way to determine price, but in this instance it "might" help. You might try comparing the tax assessments for the two sold properties to the sales prices to determine if there is a pattern. For example are the houses selling for "x" percent above/below tax assessments? It may give you an idea about this house.

How property is assessed for taxes varies tremendously from state to state. Many places claim they use market value, but how that market value is determined is important. How often are properties re-assessed is also important. Ask your agent how it's done in this area and how often. Those numbers may prove useful in this situation.
Our assessments are based on FMV. Cost to rebuild less depreciation plus land.

Yes, I looked at assessments as well. Community hasn't had a re-eval in 3 years so they are behind.....
The property is assessed at $434,000. Comp #1 in the subdivision which hadn't been updated since built and in similar condition to the property is assessed at 480,000. It sold for $440,000.....Comp #2 is assessed at $535,000 and updated, sold for $535,000.

There hasn't been a ranch house sale all year. In 2012 there was one ranch sale - an investment property 27 years old in dire condition sold for $179,000. It is currently for sale - lipstick slapped on a pig for $372,000... and it's been on the market for 7 months. FSBO. It hasn't had a reassessment.

The town next door has been under full re-eval this year. New tax notices are starting to be sent out. Friends I've spoken to are delighted with their new assessments as their taxes will be going down at least for one year, until the Town recalculates the tax rate for 2014. Avg drop in assessment of those I've spoken to is 27%!

Both communities are declining markets.

There are two spec homes (colonials naturally) for sale in the town in which I wish to buy. Both on the market now for 90 days and each received a 7% reduction in price yesterday.

As far as bank appraisal.........I've talked to a couple of local appraisers I've known for years..bottom line houses are not appraising well due to declining market.

So I sit and wait.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,541,669 times
I think you are trying your best to convince yourself that the house is worth what you want to pay for it. For starters it is on the outer edge which commands a premium based on the two comps your provided. Also, focus on the street in question not other streets. Two houses sold on the street within the last year. They have priced it in the ballpark of those two sales.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think you are trying your best to convince yourself that the house is worth what you want to pay for it. For starters it is on the outer edge which commands a premium based on the two comps your provided. Also, focus on the street in question not other streets. Two houses sold on the street within the last year. They have priced it in the ballpark of those two sales.
I took the side of the street into consideration in my offer. House on same side of street came in at 184 sqft... and upgraded property. That lot is very deep with plenty of pool space and backyard for playing.

Based on offer of 393,000...and 2026 sf......I offered 193.9 sq ft if you want to look at it that way. (comps were 161 and 184) This particular lot is smaller than both comps.. and while wider (hence the long ranch)... is shallow. Backyard just meets zoning requirements for R30. There is a State protective easement of 10 ft deep along the back to protect the historic stone wall which borders the property.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 AM

23 posts, read 36,162 times
OP....what happened with your offer? Did the seller come back?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-skies View Post
OP....what happened with your offer? Did the seller come back?
No, not yet.....we gave them until Thursday. Which also happens to be day 30 on the market.

I am the first offer. And as of last night.....the only.

You want to talk slow market. Month of October, only two homes went to contract in the entire town.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:34 PM

Update:

Received counter of $480,000... as I had pretty much expected.

Local bank appraiser is now working on the numbers. I look at it as a good $400 spent. He's pretty much the go-to local when out of town appraisals come in too low.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:04 AM

501 posts, read 1,464,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Update:

Received counter of $480,000... as I had pretty much expected.

Local bank appraiser is now working on the numbers. I look at it as a good $400 spent. He's pretty much the go-to local when out of town appraisals come in too low.
You are having the house appraised now?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyDadof2 View Post
You are having the house appraised now?
It's done. It does serve to bolster the appropriateness of my offer, but is not good news for seller. Appraiser also pointed out that protective covenant is not listed on deed as it should be, but is listed on the subvision for the three lots affected. Lazy town, but it was in the disclosure so I knew.

We (my agent and I) did not tell the appraiser what I offered.

When I did tell him....he gave me that "what??" look.. then he figured out I didn't deduct for the needing a new roof (as he confirmed) nor bringing the laundry room up to code which I was planning on doing upon acceptance of offer and after the official inspection.

As what to do now, I'm a little undecided as a property I had looked at a year ago has finally woken up and smelled the coffee and reduced their price by $250,000 which has brought it into the realm of possibility.... though it does need some demolition work (horrible rotted sunroom) and the garage would need to be attached to the house some how.

I'm going to sleep on it as they say for another night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate