Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:48 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,762 times

Advertisements

I have been having trouble finding a decent agent who will spend the time to determine what my needs are. I recently saw a property that was for sale by owner, and I wondered..hmmm, do I need a realtor? Can a buy without one if this guy is selling without one? Initial research seems to indicate yes, I can. Has anyone ever tried this and been successful? I am mainly looking at condos in an urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have been having trouble finding a decent agent
who will spend the time to determine what my needs are.
That sounds more like a personal problem than anything to do with real estate.

Are you currently aware of any need (or even desire) that is really "out there?
Anything that 90% of other home buyers wouldn't also want?

Quote:
hmmm, do I need a realtor? Can a buy without one if...
Has anyone ever tried this and been successful?
Experienced buyers with clear expectations, solid cash/credit and a good lawyer can do fine on their own.
But I don't think that describes you.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That sounds more like a personal problem than anything to do with real estate.

Are you currently aware of any need (or even desire) that is really "out there?
Anything that 90% of other home buyers wouldn't also want?

Experienced buyers with clear expectations and a good lawyer can do fine.
But I don't think that describes you.
Moderator cut: personal - off topic I absolutely know what I want and have been researching for months. None of my needs are "out there". I have identified several units I like but every realtor I have met with continually tries to upsell me or direct me to inconvenient areas. Therefore, I am starting to feel as though I may be better off solo.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Marka; 11-18-2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 11:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
I absolutely know what I want and have been researching for months.
That's not what you said less than an hour ago:
Quote:
I have been having trouble finding a decent agent
who will spend the time to determine what my needs are.
Quote:
I have identified several units I like but every realtor I have met with...
How many agents have you met with?
How many listings have you found that you thought suited you?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:49 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Pinpoint the actual reason(s) you can't find a agent to work with you. I can't imagine a agent turning down a GOOD prospect without a GOOD reason. Maybe your standards/expectations/needs/wants are too high for anybody to meet thus you find yourself without an agent.
FSBOs have their good and bad points.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 AM

To respond to MrRational:

1. I have met with four agents, toured with two, canceled another tour with the third when it became clear they had no idea what I wanted.

2. I have seen at least 6 listings in the past two weeks that I would seriously consider putting an offer in on. Two of those belong to the two agents that I toured with. Both agents are trying to upsell me into something else though I have mentioned I am interested in their specific listing.

My impression of the relationship between the real estate agent and the buyer is that the buyer comes with an idea of what will work for them and the realtor tries to either manage expectations or meet those criteria. The realtor will also bring knowledge of the market and propose new ideas/identify additional needs based on their work with the buyer.

This has NOT been happening in my case. I have done a lot of research, know what I want, where I want to live and how much I want to spend. Every last agent has ignored key pieces of this equation or tried to get me to spend more than I was comfortable. One said "you can afford it. You will make it work."

Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I don't think an experienced buyer/seller needs an agent. DH and I bought our current home without an agent (although the seller had an agent), and DH sold his last home without any agent involvement. We have both bought and sold in the past multiple times so we are familiar with the process.

Nothing against agents; if you are unfamiliar with the buying/selling process, if you are unfamiliar with the area you are purchasing in, or if you aren't quite sure about what sort of home you are looking for, an agent can be very helpful. It's also important to have an agent that is a good fit for your personality.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,222 times
Quote:
I am not sure what you are expressing, other than condescension. I absolutely know what I want and have been researching for months. None of my needs are "out there". I have identified several units I like but every realtor I have met with continually tries to upsell me or direct me to inconvenient areas. Therefore, I am starting to feel as though I may be better off solo.

How dare you imply that I am not a "buyer with solid cash/credit?" You have no clue what my financial status is.
did you not view the several units that you liked? the agents that you met with (I saw your other thread) refused to show them to you?

Old 11-17-2013, 11:56 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,222 times
Quote:
To respond to MrRational:

1. I have met with four agents, toured with two, canceled another tour with the third when it became clear they had no idea what I wanted.

2. I have seen at least 6 listings in the past two weeks that I would seriously consider putting an offer in on. Two of those belong to the two agents that I toured with. Both agents are trying to upsell me into something else though I have mentioned I am interested in their specific listing.

My impression of the relationship between the real estate agent and the buyer is that the buyer comes with an idea of what will work for them and the realtor tries to either manage expectations or meet those criteria. The realtor will also bring knowledge of the market and propose new ideas/identify additional needs based on their work with the buyer.

This has NOT been happening in my case. I have done a lot of research, know what I want, where I want to live and how much I want to spend. Every last agent has ignored key pieces of this equation or tried to get me to spend more than I was comfortable. One said "you can afford it. You will make it work."
wow

Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Pinpoint the actual reason(s) you can't find a agent to work with you. I can't imagine a agent turning down a GOOD prospect without a GOOD reason. Maybe your standards/expectations/needs/wants are too high for anybody to meet thus you find yourself without an agent.
FSBOs have their good and bad points.

My standards are not high at all, honestly. I am willing to do a little work on a unit if needed. There are cosmetic things I really hate and don't want, but those are easy enough to avoid. I am open to several neighborhoods on a certain train line due to my commute. I could deal with any size unit above a studio; would like to have more space but don't need a huge space. I don't need a parking space which are a premium where I live. Outdoor space is great but not a must have. My budget is do-able. I don't need something brand new-- in fact, I prefer older, more charming buildings. Really, its not hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate