Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:05 PM

6,487 posts, read 10,366,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Exactly. Just as crazy as Zestimates. That is my point. The numbers mean nothing.
We definitely agree there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,093 times
While the zestimate for a specific house might be worthless, I think the question is whether or not the overall TRENDS for a specific neighborhood are still valid. I think that if you zoom out enough, it can confirm some general information (RE market where I am is much stronger in 2013 than 2012) but I don't think the trends are as valid if you're looking at it from month to month, let alone week to week.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:35 PM

554 posts, read 746,076 times
Post RE: Zillow 'Zestimates' and Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Never, never, never rely on a Zillow Zestimate to determine housing market values. There are many topics about this in this forum. While a small # of Zestimates are close to real world home values, a very large percentage of them are way off and should not be taken too seriously.
Even though I posted our home on Zillow to use as a neighborhood reference, our Real Estate Agent/Broker cautioned us to "not get too excited about Zillow," since they tend to "be pretty 'optimistic' in their estimates" ...
As with any forms of government , apparently "Zestimates" are also to be taken with a grain of salt ...
Of course, YMMV

Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,168,547 times
Zillow Zestimates are Zuseless

Old 11-25-2013, 01:59 PM

6,487 posts, read 10,366,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Zillow Zestimates are Zuseless
AbsoZutely, never get too exZited about them !!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:13 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,082 times
ok - I think I finally got it... after countless threads on this topic here. The Zestimate is exactly what the home is worth, what you should list at, exactly what it will sell at, and makes a darn great mocha cappuccino. Phew. Glad we got that worked out.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:15 PM

173 posts, read 2,153,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I know that the OP meant to say "Housing" in the thread title, but actually "Hosing" is more appropriate with Zillow Zestimates.

Ooooops Apologies for the typo. It should read 'housing' but as you suggest 'hosing' (or better still for Zillow perhaps 'hozing') is more appropriate.

So I have read an explanation by Zillow that they had a major screw up when doing a routine update of Zestimates which caused the substantial fall in Zestimates for certain homes - whatever that means. What this highlights is the lack of configuration control that Zillow exercises in computing Zestimates, and when over 17 million of 100 million Zestimates are already more than 25% incorrect it highlights Zillows refusal to correct or delete Zestimates brought to their attention that are substantially correct.

The sooner that homeowners have the right to sign up with a DoNotZestimate website to opt out of Zillows nonsense the better for everyone. When we can opt out of unsolicited phone calls by registering with DoNotCall why shouldn't we be able to opt out of unsolicited Zestimates computed by a flawed algorithm and with a lack of care and attention to ensure that homeowners are not caused unnecessary misery and potential financial damage.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,663,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbiton View Post
The sooner that homeowners have the right to sign up with a DoNotZestimate website to opt out of Zillows nonsense the better for everyone.
Why bother, there is a ton of other websites like Zillow. It would be a never ending game of whack-a-mole. Better yet, why not invent a website with only super high values? People would love it. The numbers would be just as meaningful.... that is... useless.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,083,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They claim my friends just sold their house for $297,000. Huh? It wasn't on the market. And they still live there...........and if they did sell it would be for a heck of a lot more money than that.....in the $700,000 range. However, they did buy a condo for $297,000 in the same town for their elderly parents.

Where and how they got this bogus information is beyond comprehension as the condo purchase is reflected properly everywhere else.
A neighbor negotiated an off-market short sale on their house, similar thing happened.

My Zestimate is up another $40K this week. While I'd like to believe I somehow gained $200K in equity in the last year, I'm not taking it too seriously. Otherwise it would be time to cash out and head to Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate