Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 AM

59 posts, read 88,656 times

Advertisements

I rented a 3 bedroom home to a family of 3 (husband,wife, teenage daughter) last month. I had to go fix some drywall and the first time I went there I saw a very messy house, I thought they're still moving (they moved from out of town) so no problem, had to go back again, bags of trash in the kitchen not taken out, dirty dishes in different places, a lot of stuff on the floor on ALL rooms, including some silverware on the living room floor (while they're watching tv), messier than before and now I started getting a little nervous; had to go back once again to pick up some stuff (they were away for the weekend) and saw the same mess all over and had to use the bathroom and it's GROSS!, the tub is getting black, mildew is growing in the corners and the toilet has urine spots all over! The bathroom is newly remodeled and was very clean when they moved in a month ago.

So at this rate in 1 year my house is going to be so dirty that I will have to contract a professional cleaning service and who knows what will get damaged bc they obviously don't care about the house. Initially after we signed the contract and I went to give them the keys, the wife by mistake blurted out that she was once evicted (she didn't disclose the eviction in the application) b/c of her ex husband (she said they were evicted b/c the landlord saw the mess and threw them out), my stomach turned and was to much in shock to say anything then hoping that it was an issue related exclusively to her ex.

I'm thinking of writing them a certified letter advising them that I observed the mess and the possible damage if things continue that way. I'm not very hopeful b/c I think people don't change b/c of a letter, I see at best throwing them out at the end of the 1 year lease and hope that the one month deposit will cover the damages.

What advice do you recommend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:35 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
What does your lease say? All of your remedies are within that document.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:40 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usermi View Post
I rented a 3 bedroom home to a family of 3 (husband,wife, teenage daughter) last month. I had to go fix some drywall and the first time I went there I saw a very messy house, I thought they're still moving (they moved from out of town) so no problem, had to go back again, bags of trash in the kitchen not taken out, dirty dishes in different places, a lot of stuff on the floor on ALL rooms, including some silverware on the living room floor (while they're watching tv), messier than before and now I started getting a little nervous; had to go back once again to pick up some stuff (they were away for the weekend) and saw the same mess all over and had to use the bathroom and it's GROSS!, the tub is getting black, mildew is growing in the corners and the toilet has urine spots all over! The bathroom is newly remodeled and was very clean when they moved in a month ago.

So at this rate in 1 year my house is going to be so dirty that I will have to contract a professional cleaning service and who knows what will get damaged bc they obviously don't care about the house. Initially after we signed the contract and I went to give them the keys, the wife by mistake blurted out that she was once evicted (she didn't disclose the eviction in the application) b/c of her ex husband (she said they were evicted b/c the landlord saw the mess and threw them out), my stomach turned and was to much in shock to say anything then hoping that it was an issue related exclusively to her ex.

I'm thinking of writing them a certified letter advising them that I observed the mess and the possible damage if things continue that way. I'm not very hopeful b/c I think people don't change b/c of a letter, I see at best throwing them out at the end of the 1 year lease and hope that the one month deposit will cover the damages.

What advice do you recommend?

Thanks!
If she signed a false rental application by not disclosing a prior eviction, you have the legal grounds to evict them. Now it's up to you to decide whether to wait or go ahead immediately. What did their last couple of landlords have to say about them when you called?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
All I can think of is offer a once a month maid service and pay for it? It will mitigate expenses upon them moving out at the end of the lease. Also either spray yourself or get a pest control service too.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
USER

I expect there is a clause in the lease about keeping the unit is so and so shape, upkeep, etc. Look to enforce this or accept they live like pigs and try to evict them ASAP.

What with your anguish and concern, were it me, I would want them gone.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
At this point there are only a series of less than desirable remedies: From maid service to eviction.

There is a lesson here for many of the folks out there who decide to rent their home when they can't sell it for a price that is satisfactory to themselves: don't do it. The little bit which you receive in rent will never pay for the upkeep, the repairs, the legal process, and the stigma associated with now trying to sell a 'rental' house. This posters experience (and he doesn't say that this was a rental in lieu of selling) ought to scream loudly: It just isn't worth it.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
If your lease doesn't address this, does your state code say anything? In my state, the landlord tenant guidelines say that a tenant has an obligation to safeguard the property by practicing good housekeeping practices, among other things. One of the reasons a 3 day eviction may be served in my area is for ongoing damage occurring to the house. Extreme bad housekeeping would fall in that category. You would need photos in order to evict on those grounds if your state has anything similar.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:55 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
We both know they ain't gonna change, and do you really wanna do periodic "inspections" (presuming the wording in the lease allows those… and that you don't wanna be liable for 'harassment')? Which is another good reason I prefer month-to-month agreements to long-term leases! And folks are right, it all comes down to the terms of your lease, especially whether you have an "all-inclusive" damage deposit which covers everything, besides just the last month's rent and security deposit.

Although maybe 'do the math' and weigh your options. And one less confrontational alternative if they still have substantial time left on the lease, is to also point out to them that things obviously aren't working, but that you'd rather not have to evict them (via presumably quoting the appropriate statute or lease terms). So simply offer to "buy them out" and give them some combined legal and financial incentive for moving early.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
A lot of people are slobs/pigs. Not much you can do to change that. When you rent to someone you have no idea what
their habits are. If they are damaging the property that's a different story. Dirty dishes and a dirty toilet do not constitute eviction. It's really none of your business what kind of housekeepers they are. Not everyone cares about cleanliness and neatness. If it was me I would do a quarterly inspection to look for damages and bring them to their attention and just clean the place up when they move.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
Dirty dishes and poor housekeeping lead to infestations. I'd say it's a real problem that would constitute calling it damage.

OP, I hope your lease is a good one. You need these people out ASAP. You had the gut feeling when you gave them the keys, and it has now been confirmed. Use your lease to your advantage here, and do it soon. It's there to protect you.

Most good leases will have something about keeping the premises in a clean, sanitary condition. If you're doesn't, let me know and I can get you some wording that will at the very least be a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate