Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,886,734 times

Advertisements

Hire an architect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 PM

122 posts, read 236,452 times
Problems with the layout,
First floor:
Dining room is too big. It's clunky and takes away from the living room and kitchen.
Kitchen is way too small.
Starting from the isle, it serves no purpose at all for what is there.
Also, a kitchen leading to a study room is not the best ideas ever. You're pretty much alienating the study room into a confined space. That is okay to do. But you should never enclose a room in the front area. And how can this study room serve its purpose with noise from the laundry room and bathroom?

The living room is adequate but not well defined. Your circulation from entrance to the rest of the house is very bad and poorly done. You need a defined path that leads you to different parts of the house rather than interrupt actions in every space to go to another part of the house.
And that room in between bath 1 and laundry which can be defined as a closet, you can do a bifolding door.

That optional gas fireplace needs a chimney all the way to the roof.
Placement of the stairs is scary and dangerous.

Second floor:
I need to know where south is. That way, orientation and placement of rooms can be better defined and spaced.
1. Hall is too small. In essense, you have a single 39" landing for many doors. That's not a great idea.
2. The way you spaced and laid out bathroom 2-3 is VERY inefficient. That huge closet is cutting away bathroom 3. That small closet for bathroom 2 might as well disappear because it serves no purpose whatsoever.
3. Closets are poorly placed for all 3 bedrooms.

Overall, the house doesn't look cheap. It looks half-assed. It's poorly designed and i don't think anyone would want to live in it. And even if they tried, they'd hate it shortly after for lack of functionality.
You want your house to fulfill your needs and to be affordable. You can have a well designed house that is affordable to maintain, affordable to run and affordable overall.

First thing i'd do for the first floor, create a hallway with invisible walls. Create an axis for circulation.
Place the stairs elsewhere. You don't want to walk from the second floor down to a first floor to an opened door that might be blocking circulation. If someone is at the door, keep them undisturbed.
Now, wherever south is, I'd place the biggest room and windows there.
Make the dining room smaller and the kitchen longer. Whenever you have guests or a party, you can have a seamless big room consisting of dining room/livingroom and the kitchen being a separate volume.
I'd have a long "isle" or rather arm extending from the stove running perpendicular to it halfway. That way, the kitchen can have its own volume and you can create a bar feeling to it with stools and down pendant lights.

If i were you, i'd start from scratch again. You need to know where you're getting most of your sunlight. That is for a better lit environment/rooms with natural daylight as opposed to dark rooms where you'd have your lights on all the time. You want a clear path of circulation for uninterrupted actions that might be happening in every single room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate