Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is the exact reason we will never be part of an HOA, I refuse to spend all that money on property and a home and have someone else tell me what I can and cannot do on my property in my home.
It's great to be able to do anything you want on your property but it isn't always great when your neighbor has the same right. Anyone remember the redneck neighbor website from 2002? For your reading enjoyment I present a blast from the past, Redneck Neighbor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:09 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I would personally never buy a home with an hoa. They have a great deal of power. They can fine you or take your home away from you. Please be careful. Take this seriously
I know many people feel the same way but keep in mind that there are benefits to HOAs, too, and every buyer has the opportunity to know what the costs and conditions of ownership are before they join the association through their purchase of the home. The problem is that too many buyers don't read the rules or care that they exist, and those are usually the people who have a bad experience and who complain when everyone else (who did bother to know what they were buying) actually has the nerve to expect that owner to follow the rules. Like many things in life, the people that run afoul often (not always) bring the trouble on themselves through their bad decisions, laziness, ignorance, or contempt for others.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
It's great to be able to do anything you want on your property but it isn't always great when your neighbor has the same right. Anyone remember the redneck neighbor website from 2002? For your reading enjoyment I present a blast from the past, Redneck Neighbor
Okay, now that was really funny.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBeachFun View Post
You got that right. I've lived most of my life in large urban city centers. The idea of letting any animal run loose is crazy to me! Now that I'm in a more rural location, people seem to have no problems letting the pets roam. I will never adapt to it. Cats stay indoors, my dog is always leashed (unless she is in the backyard where I have an invisible fence and she will always be watched).

The more that I process this, I think my real agitation here isn't that I'm in violation of it, but that this is a limitation I would have never accepted. If I want to become a crazy cat hoarder and get 50 cats (I don't, FWIW), I think that should be my right.... that's why II requested the bylaws before making a purchase, to make sure there were no restrictions I couldn't live with! I can live with being told that I can't have a chain link fence, keep a chicken coop, or put an outbuilding on my property. Not really OK that I'm willingly moving into an HOA that has rules about what I can do inside my home where it would have no impact on the value of anyone else's property.

My cats are 5 and 6. They'll be around for awhile. Plenty of time for me to get over violating this ordinance.
Well, I don't know about that.... I knew someone who visited his elderly inlaws. They had 40 some indoor only cats and the smell was horrific. My cousin said that when he stepped outside onto the porch for some air, leaving the door open behind him - hoping to get some air in the house.... the neighbors immediatly began yelling "hey cat lady house, shut the door, it stinks"

Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 AM

122 posts, read 306,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Well, I don't know about that.... I knew someone who visited his elderly inlaws. They had 40 some indoor only cats and the smell was horrific. My cousin said that when he stepped outside onto the porch for some air, leaving the door open behind him - hoping to get some air in the house.... the neighbors immediatly began yelling "hey cat lady house, shut the door, it stinks"
Fair enough, and that would be horrible - I can only imagine how awful that must have smelled. I was totally kidding about the crazy cat lady comment, but I seem to have forgotten how the pet topic really is polarizing on this forum. To be honest, it just takes one cat with an owner who doesn't take care of it to make a house stink! And keep in mind that there are many ways I can make my house smell foul that don't even involve pets.

My point is - if I trash the inside of my house, why should an HOA care? I can understand the purpose of an HOA, even if I don't always agree with it. If I have an ugly fence that isn't maintained, it can lower my neighbor's property value. If I park a disabled vehicle on the grass for 6 months, it can impact the entire neighborhood..... But if I trash my own home, and it doesn't have to just be with pets, the impact of that is much more limited.

Anyhow, the thread has run its course. I'm meeting with my attorney to draft something up today. If anyone is reading this thread in the same situation, what I've learned from this is that a builder will purposely omit information to make a sale (and shame on my realtor for not better advising me on this, especially since she knew I had 3 pets). Someone upthread suggested requesting the bylaws via certified mail and that's what I'd do if I find myself in this situation again.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I'll take that bet.
Me too.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I love it. I do like the controls to prevent such things that an HOA can offer.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
The developer controls the HOA bylaws until 50% of the development is sold. The developer can change them at his/her pleasure. All the developer needs to do is amend the bylaws.

Some states may require that the bylaws be filed, other do not (such as WA).

Old 05-08-2014, 12:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
OK, this is probably better asked to an attorney, but I'm curious on feedback here before I have to pay for legal services.

I'm closing on a new single family home I just had built in a couple of weeks. It is part of an HOA. When I was initially researching the community, I had asked for a set of bylaws from the builder and my realtor. They provided me with information about fencing, decking, you can't put up satellite dishes, blah blah blah. You know, standard stuff. I was never told that this was not a complete set of rules. The HOA board remains the builder until the community development is completed (at least another 5 years in their estimation).

Now I have obtained the complete set of rules. There is a limitation on animals in there (2 per household, 1 cat, 1 dog). I currently have 1 dog and 2 cats, which the builder was aware of. Not only are they aware of it, they've met my animals and have implemented a few requests into my property to cater to the pets (animal doors, invisible fence, etc). I have no intention of willfully violating an established bylaw. Had I know this was the case, I would have seeked out a different community. Nobody I've spoken to seems to think this is an issue but I'm a worrier by nature. I'm committed to the house, and I'm not getting rid of pets. The builder has said verbally that they aren't concerned.

So my question is: what should I be doing to protect myself? I am thinking I want to get something in writing from the builder, which I will contact an attorney for, but anything else that I'm missing here?
If your cats are indoor cats, just keep quiet. If they and the dog go outdoors a lot and you are worried, I'd get the HOA to make an exception for an extra cat.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:27 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
I'm closing on a new single family home I just had built in a couple of weeks. It is part of an HOA. When I was initially researching the community, I had asked for a set of bylaws from the builder and my realtor. They provided me with information about fencing, decking, you can't put up satellite dishes, blah blah blah. You know, standard stuff. I was never told that this was not a complete set of rules. The HOA board remains the builder until the community development is completed (at least another 5 years in their estimation).
Blanket bans on satellite dishes are illegal and not enforceable. If they try then sic the FCC on them. The can only restrict where you place them, and then only so that it does not prevent reception.

I'd be curious if an indoor pet count rule could even be enforced. The fact that they have such nonsense should have been a big red flag to run away as quickly as possible. Signs of a horrible HOA(as if there is any other kind).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate