Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times

Advertisements

Agreed Chaz..now if we can just get that message into the thick skulls of your colleagues....things would be much better for our society as a whole.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Chaz there is no doubt that you personally have not known anyone that was talked into selling their home by a realtor..but nonetheless...you do not need to know anything personally to know it exist, is harmful to society, and is still being conducted...and these actvities are still actively practiced...just in more subtle ways. Don't dismiss what has occured..and still occuring just because it has not happened to you or your friends.

Regarding your comment on communities...it is not to say that people do not put homes on the market...it is the reasons why the are putting homes on the market and the frequency with which it is occuring. So of course there are always homes for sale in every community...but it is FAR more profitable to scare people into selling and making a bundle....over and over and over again.....community after community. You are fortunate that you have not met the guy that comes knocking on your door and "informs" you of the "changes" coming to your community and how it is in you and your family's "best interest" to move. There are COUNTLESS others who have....

I am glad you are perceived as a professional by those that solicit your services, unfortunately there are too many in your profession that have inflicted monumental and lasting scars on our communities and society.
I have yet to see a good old eastern style block bust here in the west. I am sure there may have been one...but they are actually pretty rare.

Now you to do one in Vegas it is either. You tell them a Realtor has moved in up the block...or A Californian. Works every time.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:04 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Default no one has answered my question yet!!!

My question was and still remains, "what must be done to cause people to want to move into the areas where minorities are the majorities?" Accuse whomever you wish, tell us about the horror stories, but most importantly tell us what we all can do to make those wonderful old neighborhoods valuable again?

Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
My question was and still remains, "what must be done to cause people to want to move into the areas where minorities are the majorities?" Accuse whomever you wish, tell us about the horror stories, but most importantly tell us what we all can do to make those wonderful old neighborhoods valuable again?
Isn't this happening already in cities across America? D.C., Seattle, Los Angeles, Newark, Miami and others. Here in Seattle whites are moving back to the city and one particular area where blacks were the majority is now filled with whites. The 'Central District', better known as the CD is being gentrified as we speak. But it's not happening the way you think. In my experience with selling homes in the CD, blacks are selling their homes for top dollar with multiple offers. Blacks have deep history in the CD and have lived there for decades. Many blacks are laughing all the way to the bank, or rather taking their profits and purchasing newer, bigger suburban south King County homes.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:47 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Tomocox, I don't think there is anything that realtors must do "to cause people to want to move into the areas where minorities are the majorities"(almost sounds like reverse steering). People will move to an area when one or more of a number of factors are present. Some of those factors would be price, location, condition, features in the area, convenience, safety, attractiveness, diversity, lack of diversity, and any other thing that the community has to offer. Now some individuals, developers, realtors(?) may decide to invest in a particular area for either financial gain or altruistic reasons in hopes that it improves the value of neighborhood. Other than this, short of passing a law to force people to move into areas where minorities are the majority, I think the passing of time will have to take its course.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Isn't this happening already in cities across America? D.C., Seattle, Los Angeles, Newark, Miami and others. Here in Seattle whites are moving back to the city and one particular area where blacks were the majority is now filled with whites. The 'Central District', better known as the CD is being gentrified as we speak. But it's not happening the way you think. In my experience with selling homes in the CD, blacks are selling their homes for top dollar with multiple offers. Blacks have deep history in the CD and have lived there for decades. Many blacks are laughing all the way to the bank, or rather taking their profits and purchasing newer, bigger suburban south King County homes.
Exactly the answer I was looking for! Wonderful! I hope more stories like yours are reported!

In response to other responses: Realtors can not be the drivers, unlike one of the respondants earlier in this thread, Realtors only serve when there is a need. If Realtors cause things to happen, I assure you, American's would not be concerned about the current housing market.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:00 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Fair housing is law and it's broken all of the time. It's sad, but there are many whites that completely panic when a black family starts looking around their neighborhood. Realtors typically specialize in an area, and many white Realtors don't want to be the first one to sell a house to a black family. It's wrong, but I think it's the way it is. And if they do, you can bet some paranoid whites will worry about their housing value and flee before more black people move in. Until white people stop fleeing, there will always be segregation. People will say, "I'm not racist, I'm just concerned about the value of my property decreasing". But by fleeing, they're going along with the idea - therefore, it's racist. If black people or people of any color for that matter, can afford to live by you, then deal with it. It's the same as everyone yelling that the homeless in New Orleans needed help, but they don't FEMA trailers on their street. It's easy to say something - it's actions that speak the truth. The reason real estate prices may drop when black people move in an area, is ONLY because of racism. If blacks were thought of the same as whites to some people, this would not happen. So the solution is to stop racism and one way to do that is to live together. Set an example to our children. What's sad is that racism can be stopped in one generation. It's amazing to me how far whites will live from work, just to live in a lily white area. They'd rather spend $50+ a week getting to work and spend 3 hours a night with their children after work than have a black person in their area. They'd be better of leading by example, spending more time with their families, having a better quality of life by not living far out and helping society by putting an end to racism. It's really a no-brainer.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:16 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,462 times
It's unfortunate that this issue cannot be discussed openly and honestly, as the truth is considered "racist" and must be ignored or shouted down thusly.
Quote:
Most Dangerous: Cities 2007
http://money.aol.com/mortgage/dangerous-cities

No. 15: Youngstown, Ohio

No. 14: Compton, Calif.

No. 13: Little Rock, Ark.

No. 12: Baltimore, Md.

No. 11: Orlando, Fla.

No. 10: Cleveland, Ohio

No. 9: Richmond, Calif.

No. 8: Memphis, Tenn.

No. 7: North Charleston, S.C.

No. 6: Birmingham, Ala.

No. 5: Camden, N.J.

No. 4: Oakland, Calif.

No. 3: Flint, Mich.

No. 2: St. Louis, Mo.

No. 1: Detroit, Mich.
Quote:
12 Safest States in 2007
http://money.aol.com/mortgage/safest-states-to-live-in

No. 1 -- North Dakota

No. 2 -- Vermont

No. 3 -- Maine

No. 4 -- New Hampshire

No. 5 -- Wyoming

No. 6 -- South Dakota

No. 7 -- Montana

No. 8 -- Iowa

No. 9 -- Wisconsin

No. 10 -- West Virginia

No. 11 -- Connecticut

No. 12 -- Idaho
Anyone notice a couple glaring corollaries here?
The whole race/real estate thing cannot be talked about openly, as the discussion invariably drifts off into tangents about socioeconomics, nature versus nurture, or is outright shut down as being racist in spite of being totally factual and inextricably connected to undeniable albeit painful realities. Everyone is expected to grossly contort all existing precepts of logic and reason until the issue fits into this big, collective delusion we're all supposed to ascribe ourselves to, lest we be called "racist" for speaking of verboten things.

It's so, so sad...

Last edited by LM1; 12-13-2007 at 02:35 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 03:24 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
It can be discussed openly. White people are truely dumb, ridiculous, racist, ugly and just plain stupid if they truely think a black like myself will bring down property values and cause a crime wave. It sounds so retarded. I'm just wondering, does this practice still exist in 2007? Do white people still run when blacks move into their community? White people do not ever say racism doesn't exist in America because we all know its alive and well in 2007. This is why wherever I move its always into an intergrated community. Never all white.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:33 AM

P, please, in order to truly take this conversation to the highest of levels, name calling is out of order here. Please speak as the last of your last thread so stated how you see things from a personal prospective.

Remember, everyone, this is a discussion not about moving into "white" areas, but rather about getting "whites" to move into areas where minorities (not just black) are the majorities. There have been some excellent examples of where it is happening back through this thread, but few have said what the driving forces have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate