Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 PM

265 posts, read 405,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Don't expect much, really.
I found contacting listing agents a way to go for me.
Good luck!
So, you think it makes more sense to contact listing agents, who are basically working in the favor for the seller?

If you don't expect much from a buyer's agent, sounds like you had a bad experience with one. I'm amazed that some buyers don't want to use an agent when it's completely FREE for them. Whether I was a seasoned or new buyer, I would absolutely want someone working on my behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:13 PM

52 posts, read 125,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Real estate transactions have three phases. Finding the home is the first and quite frankly the easiest part. Now on to negotiation, acceptance, inspections, maybe reinspections and renegotiations, for phase two. Phase 3 is the cat herding part, lenders demanding things, appraisals, title issues, you name what can go wrong and at this phase it will.

I think we really earn our money keeping the last 2 phases from creating disaster and dashing dreams in our clients.
Completely agree with this. The condo I bought I had actually been eyeing 5 months prior so finding a home was easy. My agent stayed on top of it during those last two phases. And even after the deal was done to make sure the sellers followed through on something they said they take care of after closing.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:55 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post
So, you think it makes more sense to contact listing agents, who are basically working in the favor for the seller?

If you don't expect much from a buyer's agent, sounds like you had a bad experience with one. I'm amazed that some buyers don't want to use an agent when it's completely FREE for them. Whether I was a seasoned or new buyer, I would absolutely want someone working on my behalf.
that particular poster has had a bad string of luck with agents (since I've been here it seems)..

I'm sure contacting numerous listing agents directly to show a property you're interested in, as opposed to enlisting a buyers agent that can get you into every home, in a MUCH more timely manner, while still protecting your interests as a buyer, is a more efficient means to try and procure a home

Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 PM

566 posts, read 573,833 times
I've been wanting to sing my realtor's praises so I will happily do so here! Let me tell you about her. We met our realtor last summer. We were contemplating a move to a new town (not a new job but farther from where we live now). I literally couldn't decide if this particular neighborhood in the town was for us unless I could see inside some homes. So even though she knew we weren't ready to buy she brought us to a bunch of homes. She did this a few times. She took us to our dream home that we couldn't really afford at the time. We loved it. Then I had second thoughts about living in this neighborhood (old historic housing stock) so she took us to homes in newer developments. Fast forward to a few months later, our apartment that we are selling goes into contract for more than we were expecting to get and my hubs had received 2 promotions so we can now afford the dream home. We go see it again. She brings my daughter gummy bears, holds my infant so I can walk around the house again (he spits up on her and she doesn't flinch) She helps us put together and offer, walks us through everything so far in relation to the purchase process. She emails me within minutes of me asking her a question, and is on top of all our paperwork and communication needed with the seller and their agent. She has earned every dime of commission she will hopefully get in 2 weeks when we close on the house. I've got to do something special for her too, so working on some ideas for that. Best of all she lives only a few blocks from our new home so I am excited I will soon get to call her my neighbor!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:17 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post

When listing agent is working with me as a buyer, he informs his clients about that too. He is getting paid more than his normal %, so he is interested in closing the deal.
And yes, it's better to use listing agent in "hot" market because you have higher chances to get your offer accepted.

Other suggesting will be using one of buyers agents who offer cash back at closing. 1-1.5% cash back is a nice little gift at closing, don't you think?

I had negative experience with buyer agents and not just once or twice... with every single one of them. call me unlucky, I have other "excuses" for that

If you or someone else have different opinion, well, it's your choice. I made mine and I don't need anyone's lectures. I am happy with my choice.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,894 times
I wonder the same thing sometimes.

You don't need a realtor to find a property if you know what you are looking for. Everytime we look for a place, we search the MLS ourselves. The realtor could let us into the property so I guess we need them for that but if there's an open house which usually happens with new listings then you wouldn't need a realtor to let you in. The realtor basically introduces us to a lender, but you could always find a lender on your own. If you are selling your place, the realtor can show your place at an open house or oftentimes they will send someone else to sit at your open house. They do get the paperwork ready but they are not trained attorneys so the forms they fill out are all pre-made and generic. The paperwork is probably the trickiest part if you don't know what you're doing. They stage your place, but actually in our case our realtor made suggestions to stage our place and WE did all the work and paid for almost all the staging expenses (he did pay for professional photographs). I learned that staging costs are typically paid by the seller so I won't complain about that. I think our realtor has already messed up on a few things but we are so deep into our deal that it feels like he is in closing mode now and is not listening to what I'm saying or trying to divert my questions to get the deal done.

I have a friend who used a flat rate realtor (he charges $6,000 regardless of the home's price). He's basically a real estate attorney with a RE license. My friend has never met him other than over the phone and he sends his assistant to sit in the open house. I'm not sure who paid for his photographs. My friend staged his place on his own. Sometimes I wonder if I was better off using him.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:21 AM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
I wonder the same thing sometimes.

You don't need a realtor to find a property if you know what you are looking for. Everytime we look for a place, we search the MLS ourselves. The realtor could let us into the property so I guess we need them for that but if there's an open house which usually happens with new listings then you wouldn't need a realtor to let you in. The realtor basically introduces us to a lender, but you could always find a lender on your own. If you are selling your place, the realtor can show your place at an open house or oftentimes they will send someone else to sit at your open house. They do get the paperwork ready but they are not trained attorneys so the forms they fill out are all pre-made and generic. The paperwork is probably the trickiest part if you don't know what you're doing. They stage your place, but actually in our case our realtor made suggestions to stage our place and WE did all the work and paid for almost all the staging expenses (he did pay for professional photographs). I learned that staging costs are typically paid by the seller so I won't complain about that. I think our realtor has already messed up on a few things but we are so deep into our deal that it feels like he is in closing mode now and is not listening to what I'm saying or trying to divert my questions to get the deal done.

I have a friend who used a flat rate realtor (he charges $6,000 regardless of the home's price). He's basically a real estate attorney with a RE license. My friend has never met him other than over the phone and he sends his assistant to sit in the open house. I'm not sure who paid for his photographs. My friend staged his place on his own. Sometimes I wonder if I was better off using him.
Nice I like that idea of a flat rate not motivated by high commissions or convincing you to sell at a low price. I never used a lender that the realtor has one never knows if they are getting a kickback. Very easy to find mortgage brokers online. I have a guy I use he is very good found him on bankrate.com. I stopped even using home inspectors that's a crooked industry anyone can take a 10 minute course and call them self a home inspector.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:30 AM

119 posts, read 300,468 times
We gave him the specifications of homes we would consider and on our first outing he still took to us a few small, older homes that were just out of the question. Since then we would just call him to let him know when we found a property online that seemed promising and he would try to show us the same or next day. He has great communication skills and responds promptly to all phone calls, texts and emails.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:14 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Nice I like that idea of a flat rate not motivated by high commissions or convincing you to sell at a low price. I never used a lender that the realtor has one never knows if they are getting a kickback. Very easy to find mortgage brokers online. I have a guy I use he is very good found him on bankrate.com. I stopped even using home inspectors that's a crooked industry anyone can take a 10 minute course and call them self a home inspector.
Insulting and inaccurate in the same post. First, illegal as all get out for any referral fees to be exchanged between Realtor and lender. Online brokers are actually shunned when sellers review offers, so unless you are offering above market value, that's not going to work in your favor. As for not getting a home inspection, make your choice, but don't insult the thousands of Class A contractors or former county and city inspectors, many with decades of experience and certifications in multiple fields. Home inspections are like anything else, you get what you pay for......The dime store inspector (obviously your experience ) doesn't compare to the professional inspector.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:45 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Come on! Everyone is getting kickbacks, it's just called referral fee which is 100% legal... by all I mean inspectors, lenders... That's why I would never ever consider realtor's suggested inspector or lender. They all are interested in closing the deal and getting paid. Period.

Funny how I asked one of my formal realtors for inspector and she was so happy to refer someone she trust 100% and blah-blah-blah... the problem was she didn't even knew that guy's name...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate