Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,831,531 times

Advertisements

I know I'm a man and therefore not allowed to have a dream kitchen and still remain heterosexual but I do anyway!

Someday I'm gonna have a 100% working victorian era kitchen (in a large Victorian era house) that looks like it was lifted out of a house museum with modern appliances hidden away the butler's pantry. That way, I can go old school or new as I please. It will obviously be a closed kitchen and it will freaking rock!

Unfortunately, you will never see it on HGTV because the LAST thing they want is for you to go your own way on home design and do what's right/useful/fun/fulfilling just for you. They want you to buy into the trend de'jour, rip out what you've got and spend $$$$$ for what THEY say you want. No thanks to that, Ma'am says I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 01:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,716,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I know I'm a man and therefore not allowed to have a dream kitchen and still remain heterosexual but I do anyway!

Someday I'm gonna have a 100% working victorian era kitchen (in a large Victorian era house) that looks like it was lifted out of a house museum with modern appliances hidden away the butler's pantry. That way, I can go old school or new as I please. It will obviously be a closed kitchen and it will freaking rock!

Unfortunately, you will never see it on HGTV because the LAST thing they want is for you to go your own way on home design and do what's right/useful/fun/fulfilling just for you. They want you to buy into the trend de'jour, rip out what you've got and spend $$$$$ for what THEY say you want. No thanks to that, Ma'am says I.
You need an AGA stove. They are the rockingest appliance ever! And they come in a variety of colors.

AGA - Classic AGA Heat Storage Range Cookers

Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 PM

658 posts, read 2,007,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Unless it was a second fridge, they weren't.
Wasn't a second fridge. I think they lost touch with what goes on in a kitchen.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM

17,714 posts, read 29,853,881 times
Default Don't be a cheapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
You need an AGA stove. They are the rockingest appliance ever! And they come in a variety of colors.
No, you need a Molteni. Only $100K.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
My house isn't open-plan at all. It has a good floor plan. I'd like to be able to see into the den from the kitchen, but the way the wiring and plumbing is done, I'd have to rearrange so much of the kitchen that putting in a pony wall is totally impractical. So I live with it.

I don't know anyone who entertains regularly in an open-concept kitchen. Some of my neighbors do have regular gatherings, but they hold them mostly outside on decks. A few neighbors have built outdoor kitchens for grilling. That's more popular around here, anyway.
In my neck of the woods, guests, of hosts with open concept kitchens, rarely leave the kitchen. Meals are very casual.

The majority of buyers don't want to see properties with closed off kitchens unless they can afford to open them up and are willing to take on such a project. Age of the house does not matter so long as the kitchen is open ad baths are updated, preferably with a frameless shower door. Homes with closed kitchens, no matter how well appointed, tend to sell for less than those with open concepts.

Not sure if HGTV is the chicken or the egg, anymore.

Timeless and tasteful kitchens hold their value longer than those that are overly trendy.

They said stainless steel, granite and hardwood floors in the kitchen were passing fads. Yet,this trend is now a generation old.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
There was one "HGTV Dream House" a few years back that put the fridge in a small separate room off the kitchen. Really?? What were they thinking?
What their Nielsen rating is and how it affects the rate they charge for advertising? I can't imagine anything that would be higher on a producer's list.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1002 View Post
I watch HGTV constantly. The one thing that bothers me the most is that every show is the same. Every designer is the same. There is no variations. Love it or List it? I want open concept, stainless steel appliances, granite, wood floors..and most importantly double sinks in master bathroom.

Property Brothers? I can give you concept, stainless steel appliances, granite, wood floors..and most importantly double sinks in master bathroom in 5 weeks.

House Hunters? My "price point" is $150,000 but I want concept, stainless steel appliances, granite, wood floors..and most importantly double sinks in master bathroom. (Plus they don't want a house if they don't like the paint color).

I think this has a lot to do with what's "in" right now. I just wish they would stop listening to the producer and show us different designs every so often.
Do couples actually use their respective sinks at the same time?

Old 06-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I can see your side. At our current apartment its close space so you can see walls and walls but still see everything if you had to go to the bathroom because you walk right by every room. At our new house if the doorbell rang, i could close off every room and youd only see the living room.

I feel like Shrek in the movie. I need a wall around my land. ;D
[The above referring to my post that I don't let anybody in my personal space, which starts at my front door, and often don't even answer the door bell unless it's friends, family or neighbors.]

I wish there could be more people like me. Unless you are friends, family or invited (like contractors) I don't even want you to ring my door bell. My house, my rules, and my rule is that I ignore door-to-door riffraff.

If everybody did this salesmen and their ilk would get tired knocking on doors and ringing door bells block after block and block and no answer. Even better if they can hear your TV and know you are home, realize they are being ignored on purpose.

Same on the phone. Block your Caller ID and that tells me you know I wouldn't answer the phone if I knew who you are. Well you're right! And I don't. And I have an answering machine perfectly capable of recording your advertising message. It is switched off on purpose.

My friends, family, neighbors and contractors have my cellphone number. And they have Caller ID too.

Call me with your number blocked or ring my door bell because you are ringing every bell on the street, I hope you get the same response at every house. Maybe you'll take a hint and get into a different line of work.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
But the smell of bacon is what wakes me up on Saturday mornings. My early-riser husband makes it every Saturday.
The fist question I face every day (after I've absorbed enough of the coffee I set up ready to hit the switch the previous night) is:

Shall I have a BLT + fried egg on a bagel, or shall I have pancakes topped by bacon and a fried egg, drizzled with real maple syrup?

Okay, couple times a month I'll have fruit and cereal and milk, just so I can say I don't eat bacon every day.

But seriously, I can't think of anything off hand that doesn't go with bacon.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

There's a TV show on PBS you'd like. Everything, everything! is cooked open an open fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate