Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Necessary? No. Smart? ABSOLUTELY. Most especially for a first time buyer (which I suspect you are).

Clearly, you have hired the wrong agent. Good agents understand that each client is valuable, regardless of the commission from the deal. Each buyer represents future referrals, perhaps future deals for themselves, and a professional Realtor knows that is ALL essential to building a business.

Fire this one, tell them why, then get a new Realtor. Perhaps one of those listing agents who you liked (as long as you are NOT seriously interested in the house they showed you. Dual representation is never a good idea.)
Get another agent. A good one knows that if he does well by you, you'll use him again, and recommend him to others.

But I have to tell you--DH and I found our present house. We looked online every day, and we found this one after three months of fruitless searching. When we found it we knew it was right and we jumped. It isn't a bad thing to look at a few unsuitable homes. This helps you know the right one when you see it. You and your realtor should be partnering in this search.

In my life, I've dealt with some really good people who were realtors who helped us a lot. I would not buy or sell without one. But you need a good realtor. Fire this person, and find another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I've sold several homes/condos on my own without a real estate agent. It's not difficult. Get a good lawyer at a flat fee & understand your market. Research is your friend.

Not brain surgery and much easier on your wallet!

It only takes a high school diploma, if that, to figure out the process.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Hi thanks for the advice everyone. I took your advice and told her goodbye as kindly and gently as I could. I currently have no representation but feel open to it if I decide I need it.

I realize I need a real estate agent for fannie mae, freddie mac, or hud. The only reason I have been looking at these properties is because I thought that on any other property I had to compete with investors with lots of cash who could fix up any house for sale they wanted, but with first look I don't have to compete with them. After the first look period is over and those homes are still available I feel less interested because I know they must be in really bad shape or have some other issue if the investors didn't even want them.

I have called on many homes for sale on realtor.com only to find they already are in negotiations to be purchased even if it wasn't shown online yet. I even had one that I found one night , drove there the next morning, wanted it and called the listing realtor with my questions only to find that it was taken and when I went back online that morning it had an under contract sign on realtor.com that wasn't there the night before.

Where and how do you find a good deal on a quality home in reasonably good shape ( I don't mind a cosmetic fixer upper but I cant afford to pay for major renovations like a new roof or bad plumbing) ,one that is not Freddie mac Fannie Mae or Hud first look , and that an investor has not already found first?

Old 06-28-2014, 01:16 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Hi thanks for the advice everyone. I took your advice and told her goodbye as kindly and gently as I could. I currently have no representation but feel open to it if I decide I need it.

I realize I need a real estate agent for fannie mae, freddie mac, or hud. The only reason I have been looking at these properties is because I thought that on any other property I had to compete with investors with lots of cash who could fix up any house for sale they wanted, but with first look I don't have to compete with them. After the first look period is over and those homes are still available I feel less interested because I know they must be in really bad shape or have some other issue if the investors didn't even want them.

I have called on many homes for sale on realtor.com only to find they already are in negotiations to be purchased even if it wasn't shown online yet. I even had one that I found one night , drove there the next morning, wanted it and called the listing realtor with my questions only to find that it was taken and when I went back online that morning it had an under contract sign on realtor.com that wasn't there the night before.

Where and how do you find a good deal on a quality home in reasonably good shape ( I don't mind a cosmetic fixer upper but I cant afford to pay for major renovations like a new roof or bad plumbing) ,one that is not Freddie mac Fannie Mae or Hud first look , and that an investor has not already found first?
You hire a realtor. Our home (not a fixer upper) went out on an email blast to 10,000 realtors before it hit the MLS. We had requests for showings before it hit the MLS, and several within hours afterwards. It sold in 8 days, in a slow market in Mesa, AZ, at full asking price, sight unseen by the out of state buyers.

You really HAVE to find a good buyers realtor to represent and help you. This is not the time to decide to do it on your own.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Inspectors do not give property valuations. We will not even quote what it costs to fix items in the house, let alone tell you what the house is worth.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post

If your market is that hot, you need to be hooked up with MLS listings.
The big 3 are pop real estate sites, and successful at that, but they trail real estate listing history and will not provide you with quick access to new listings.
Where I am, ASAP notification of new listings means a possibility of getting a showing before it goes under contract. I do that for clients, and we sometimes are trying for showing appointments before the listing agent can get the photos uploaded.
You might look for a local agent's IDX site, if you can find one that updates real time. They are not common in most markets. And you may have to register for access.

Being a cash buyer will help you a lot, but you still have to get to the property before it is sold.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:57 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
I would encourage you to search out an agent who is working hard to get established. As others have stated, if they are on the ball they will receive information on homes that are coming on the market before you can.

We've worked with numerous agents over the years and have been impressed by the work ethic and knowledge of only a few.

Many seem to be doing this as a hobby. They only want to show us half a dozen homes. One agent only showed us her own listings, none of which were even close to what we wanted. Others don't return phone calls in a timely manner, take a lot of time off, have many social engagements, particularly volunteer activities.

But some are serious about making money and realize that though they might not be earning a ton from this deal, you will likely be selling at some point, perhaps buying again. You might have friends who will be needing a great agent.

The great agents are worth their weight in gold. They will save or make you so much money and make the process so much smoother.

I would encourage you to keep looking for one who will be a great partner in finding the home you are searching for.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Unless you are a first time buyer, I would not use a Realtor for anything. It is a holdover from another era. A minimally competent person can find all of the houses for sale in the price range and location. That same person can easily schedule showings and make an offer. Using a good real estate attorney to handle the legal paperwork is money well spent, and it will be a lot less than a commission. Yes I know the seller pays the commission, but if hes wise and selling himself then that 6% is on the table to be negotiated. I used a Realtor for my first home 30 years ago, but since then i have bought and sold with only an attorney.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:07 PM

265 posts, read 404,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
A minimally competent person can find all of the houses for sale in the price range and location.
Obviously that is not the case as the OP already stated that while looking online on his own, he continues to run into stumbling blocks as all the potential properties are already off the market once he attempts to move forward. Many things have changed in 30 years - I assume real estate (and the its logistics) is one of them.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:34 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson9 View Post
Obviously that is not the case as the OP already stated that while looking online on his own, he continues to run into stumbling blocks as all the potential properties are already off the market once he attempts to move forward. Many things have changed in 30 years - I assume real estate (and the its logistics) is one of them.
Whats obvious is that you only see the solution you want to see. Maybe he is not minimally competent? I don't know and am not trying to say he is. I'm, just pointing out the weakness in your "obvious" solution.

But you're right, thanks have changed in the last 30 years....real estate listings have become even easier to access. No more do you need to belong to a special MLS club and page through a 2" thick book each week. Now with Redfin, Trulia or Zillow, as the big players, you can see things the day they become available. But that doesn't guarantee they won't already be under contract in a hot market. Your effect, is accounted for with multiple causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate