Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:50 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Selling in one day isn't a good thing. That generally means it was priced below the market price. I would be wondering if you could have sold it for 10% or 20% more if you had priced it not to sell immediately and made your realtor work for a few months.
Really? Sometimes I spend 6 months with sellers working with them to get their homes perfect so that we can sell within that first week. Helping sellers prep their homes is marketing and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Selling in one day isn't a good thing. That generally means it was priced below the market price. I would be wondering if you could have sold it for 10% or 20% more if you had priced it not to sell immediately and made your realtor work for a few months.
+1
Sound weird to me as well... One day on the market and sold - sounds like it was priced below it should be. Unless topic started wanted to sell that house fast and without changing price games...

Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,809,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Really? Sometimes I spend 6 months with sellers working with them to get their homes perfect so that we can sell within that first week. Helping sellers prep their homes is marketing and work.
with or without bidding wars?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default House Was in Perfect Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That was my first thought. One day?

Could be a stroke of good fortune.

Could be just the right buyer was waiting in the wings.

Could be that the home was in tip to shape and extremely well-marketed.

Or it could be that it was priced below market value and the buyer recognized a bargain.

What does OP think?
It was an easy sale for our realtor. The buyer was very interested in living in our subdivision and we received a very good price for the home. Other homes in our subdivision have since sat on the market for months.

We are a realtor's dream. We did everything possible to prepare our house for sale and also to accommodate any realtor who wanted to show the house. We bent over backwards to prepare the house for sale. We decluttered every room and closet of the house. This spring I cleaned every inch and we had the exterior trim painted and also painted 3 rooms in the finished basement. We put up a new chandelier in the dining room and new bathroom faucets. And much more...all before we contacted this realtor. We did every single thing a realtor could wish for in a good seller, including leaving the premises for each showing.

Previously, we have received gifts from our (selling) realtors in 3 different states. Perhaps this is a southern thing. Certainly it is not necessary, but it leaves a nice warm feeling toward that realtor when they show some small appreciation for the business and are pleasant and warm at the last meeting. Both DH and I were so surprised that she didn't express her thanks for the business or give us a pleasant good-bye. We were also extremely surprised that the real estate corporation never did send us an acknowledgement of a donation by either realtor. It makes me wonder if this company is being dishonest--perhaps taking the money from the realtor's commission but not really donating it to a "good cause."

Yes, perhaps we will still recommend her to other sellers, but not as quickly as we would have if she had been more personable at the end.

Last edited by staywarm2; 07-23-2014 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It was an easy sale for our realtor. The buyer was very interested in living in our subdivision and we received a very good price for the home. Other homes in our subdivision have since sat on the market for months.

We are a realtor's dream. We did everything possible to prepare our house for sale and also to accommodate any realtor who wanted to show the house. We bent over backwards to prepare the house for sale. We decluttered every room and closet of the house. This spring I cleaned every inch and we had the exterior trim painted and also painted 3 rooms in the finished basement. We put up a new chandelier in the dining room and new bathroom faucets. And much more...all before we contacted this realtor. We did every single thing a realtor could wish for in a good seller, including leaving the premises for each showing.

Previously, we have received gifts from our (selling) realtors in 3 different states. Perhaps this is a southern thing. Certainly it is not necessary, but it leaves a nice warm feeling toward that realtor when they show some small appreciation for the business and are pleasant and warm at the last meeting. Both DH and I were so surprised that she didn't express her thanks for the business or give us a pleasant good-bye. We were also extremely surprised that the real estate corporation never did send us an acknowledgement of a donation by either realtor. It makes me wonder if this company is being dishonest--perhaps taking the money from the realtor's commission but not really donating it to a "good cause."

Yes, perhaps we will still recommend her to other sellers, but not as quickly as we would have if she had been more personable at the end.
Sounds like it was a fortunate combination of you guys getting your home in great shape to sale and a buyer who wanted to live in your subdivision.

Do you know what reasons the buyer decided on your home over other homes in your area that have been on the market for months?

Why did you chose this realtor?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 AM

It is just poor business not to be pleasant to clients. I am surprised by the unprofessional farewell.

Also, surprised that they knew a small gift was commonplace and decided to give you some song and dance about donating to some charity.

Usually, real estate agents are very personable people. We've gotten a small gift nearly every time we've bought or sold a home. Kitchen items made by a local business, a potted plant, a decorating book, a bottle of wine, a gift certificate to a local nursery,

Our friends just sold a home and the real estate agent sent over a housecleaning service the day before closing. Now that's my kind of agent.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Real Estate Company or Agent Dishonest??

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Boy, I sure wish I had your problems in life. Taking the time to post to an internet forum because someone didn't give you a gift? First, gifts are never required (in ANY situation). Second, they are rare in business transactions. Be happy she did a great job and move on with your life. Your whole attitude sounds real selfish to me.
You must not be a real estate agent...

Plus, if their company truly did make a donation, I should have received an acknowledgement from the company. Also, if my agent did not contribute the the company's charity, she should have been embarrassed that the other agent did and should have later given us some small token of appreciation for our business.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We recently sold our home. We chose our realtor very carefully and were very pleased with the job she did. She was extremely good at follow up and made sure everything that needed to be done was done. She even gave us a timeline to use during the process of the sale. We sold the house the first day on the market.

However, at the closing, the buyer's agent (who works for the same very large real estate company as our realtor) said to us, in front of everyone at the closing, including our agent, that she and also our agent were donating a portion of their commission (paid by us) to the charity set up by their company. This was to be in our name and, I assume, was their "realtor gift" for us. Their company was supposedly matching this amount for the charity. She said we would receive something from their company regarding this "gift" to us. Our realtor said absolutely nothing when all this was said. We were surprised at this odd trend but thanked them both.

Three months have gone by and we have received NOTHING from their company acknowledging our "gift." We never received any other realtor gift from our own realtor. Their company received a $28,000+ commission paid by us, of which our realtor must have received a substantial portion, as she is a very successful agent for them.

Besides the fact that our realtor may not have donated anything to the company charity for us, she also never gave us even a small gift card or anything else. And on top of that she dropped us off after the closing and didn't even thank us for our business or get off her cell phone long enough to shake our hands.

This left both DH and I disappointed in her, which is too bad because we were very impressed with her up to that point. Remember Sales Persons, to close the deal in a gracious manner--at least say "thank you" and shake hands...
Frankly, the gift should have been given to your realtor, not the other way around, IMO

Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 AM

179 posts, read 248,097 times
Yeah, I think the middle part about the charity was just odd, a bit manipulative and distastefull (if they want to donate, donate, they don't need to try to make an impression upon you, kind of lessens the value of a "gift."

I would say this boils down to, she did a great job for you but the final parting was less than professional, and you'll need to balance those two things as you consider referring her. I'd probably value the work she did more than the way she left you, but I can see how it makes an impression.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Frankly, the gift should have been given to your realtor, not the other way around, IMO
The seller should have given the realtor a gift? Really.

In lieu of the $28K commission or in addition to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate