Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 AM

38 posts, read 53,801 times

Advertisements

Actually, my understanding now is that HOAs in Texas can fine if and only if their CC&Rs specifically give them the power. Our CC&Rs give our Board the power to collect assessments only, and then goes on to describe the two types of assessments which the board can collect----the annual assessment (which can be broken up into monthly payments) and a special assessment which can only be for capital improvements. Both must have comply with the open meeting provisions in the CC&Rs. There is absolutely no mention of authority for fines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 AM

38 posts, read 53,801 times
Oops. How do I get this over to the forum's real estate section?

Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
I've heard of moderators moving it...you could message him/her if you can find out who it is. Real estate would be a good one.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 AM

I contacted a moderator I've seen to put him in touch with you. Not sure how that works but I have heard of people having them moved so the moderator might get in touch with you.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddiegough View Post
Any ideas?
Have been involved with two HOA's over the years. (No, they are not all bad. If I had to say yes or no for HOA's, I would say yes)

Homeowner association laws vary widely from state to state.

Here is one site which can be a useful reference to start out: HOA-USA

You can shop around for real estate attorney's to get an idea about their rates...

Old 08-10-2014, 10:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Oops. How do I get this over to the forum's real estate section?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I've heard of moderators moving it...you could message him/her if you can find out who it is. Real estate would be a good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I contacted a moderator I've seen to put him in touch with you. Not sure how that works but I have heard of people having them moved so the moderator might get in touch with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Sounds like a questionn for the real estate forum, not the San Antonio forum.
The easiest way to get to the appropriate moderator is to report the post by clicking on the Report Posts icon. Please explain what you need. This method is usually for reporting SPAM, Trolls, obscene language etc. but it will also work to notify.

I am moving this thread to the real estate section as it appears Teddiegough wants to do that. I will add a marker which will show in the San Antonio thread for 10 days in the event someone in SA will have some experience.

Rich

Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The easiest way to get to the appropriate moderator is to report the post by clicking on the Report Posts icon. Please explain what you need. This method is usually for reporting SPAM, Trolls, obscene language etc. but it will also work to notify.

I am moving this thread to the real estate section as it appears Teddiegough wants to do that. I will add a marker which will show in the San Antonio thread for 10 days in the event someone in SA will have some experience.

Rich
good to know.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
...as the R&Rs do not need a 2/3s approval vote by the residents for changes).
This ^^^ is their authority.

You can't even vote. They don't need or want your comments.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:28 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
>HOAs are corporations so they should be licensed as such with the state. And corporations have a body overseeing their actions. In some places it's the State Attorney's office.

Well, umm, yes in theory. How well did it work with Enron? And a little teeny HOA is much farther below the radar.

The real remedy is to organize opposition and vote the guys out.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:01 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Have been involved with two HOA's over the years. (No, they are not all bad. If I had to say yes or no for HOA's, I would say yes)

Homeowner association laws vary widely from state to state.

Here is one site which can be a useful reference to start out: HOA-USA

You can shop around for real estate attorney's to get an idea about their rates...
HOA-USA's website mentions this: "Access to exclusive member's only content for your board members".

That implies it's an association of HOA boards. Not an association of HOA members. Most of the conflicts are between boards and members. Most of those who post here are members, not board members. Therefore HOA-USA seems to be part of the enemy, part of the problem people here want to solve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
View detailed profiles of: