Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. We had a fixer sell on our street for $369,000. a month or so ago. The new owner did a bang up job and the place looks amazing. Still if you look to any online home site the pictures and information are for the original home. Not sure when these things are updated but this redo of a home has been completed for almost 2 weeks and is now on the market with a local realtors sign in the yard.

Lets say the place sells soon. How far back do the comps go if someone else tries to sell or buy a home in the area? Does the new price eliminate the old price? I have seen homes that were not fixed up as nice as this one go for between $430,000 and $489,000 recently. Saying that, it would seem that things have slowed a bit within the last month or so with reguards to sales of existing homes in our area. I am thining that is one of the reasons that the new owner was able to get such a nice price on a home that that the bank was asking $436,000 for back in June.

Could the new prospective buyers make an offer based on the old price from just a few months back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 AM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
No, they would need to make an offer based on homes with comparable finishes to the newly renovated one. I personally would stay away from flips as it might look great, but who knows what problems they covered up. A renovated home that was paid for by a homeowner is a much safer bet than a home that is flipped in 2-3 months by some random investor.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:19 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wondering. We had a fixer sell on our street for $369,000. a month or so ago. The new owner did a bang up job and the place looks amazing. Still if you look to any online home site the pictures and information are for the original home. Not sure when these things are updated but this redo of a home has been completed for almost 2 weeks and is now on the market with a local realtors sign in the yard.

Lets say the place sells soon. How far back do the comps go if someone else tries to sell or buy a home in the area? Does the new price eliminate the old price? I have seen homes that were not fixed up as nice as this one go for between $430,000 and $489,000 recently. Saying that, it would seem that things have slowed a bit within the last month or so with reguards to sales of existing homes in our area. I am thining that is one of the reasons that the new owner was able to get such a nice price on a home that that the bank was asking $436,000 for back in June.

Could the new prospective buyers make an offer based on the old price from just a few months back?
The buyer can do what they want but the seller had a perception of the value. The flipped comp nullified the old previous sold one since the old home in the previous condition is no longer in existence. The 430 seller will just say that the 369 buyer got a deal and won't lower their price.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wondering.
We had a fixer sell on our street for $369,000. a month or so ago.
How many OTHER houses on the street or in the development?

One flip per 100 is a statistical rounding error.
The problem is when more houses on a street are flips/rentals than not.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How many OTHER houses on the street or in the development?

One flip per 100 is a statistical rounding error.
The problem is when more houses on a street are flips/rentals than not.
The neighborhood has a total of 1,253 homes built between 1939 and 2005.

538 of those homes were built in the 1960's and of those most would be somewhat similar design to the homes on our street, but many have larger lots and also include 2 story homes

120 of the homes were built by the same developer between 1961 and 1962. They were all single story when they were built. Of the 120 homes only 6 have added a second story to the home. This would be the same development that we live in. It is a fairly stable neighborhood with most owning their homes and very few rentals. All the streets have 20 homes, 10 on each side of the street. During the last 4 years I am only aware of two flips, the one that is for sale now and one that happened in 2011. I am not aware of flips in the other 1,253 homes. Not sure if those would make up the same comps anyway as the older homes are on much larger lots and are larger homes. The newer homes are of a more modern style and are also going for more money. If I were going to make an offer I would want to know how these 120 homes compare and leave out the remaining homes, but I am not sure how that works.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:31 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
The buyer can do what they want but the seller had a perception of the value. The flipped comp nullified the old previous sold one since the old home in the previous condition is no longer in existence. The 430 seller will just say that the 369 buyer got a deal and won't lower their price.
Agreed.

And no competent agent or appraiser will consider outdated syndication sites or scraper ad sites to arrive at valuation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate