Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I don't see how this guy missed his property line by that much when he did the math. I don't see how it could have been an error on his part.

OP, did your DH talk to this guy yet? Enquiring minds want to know!
Re: the math. He misplaced the decimal point!

What happened OP? Did your DH speak with him? What did he say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 03:23 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Someone a few pages back said that they were worried he might be crazy enough to throw something lethal over the feance to harm the dogs.
That was me, because you just never know how far someone could go if an all out war develops over this fence, with lawyers and lawsuits and $$$.

That is why I would go above and beyond, by offering to help the neighbor move his plantings.....something I wouldn't offer to do if the safety of my a dog wasn't involved.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:01 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It seems to me that this actually should have little to do with who is mad....IMO...You owe it to yourselves, and anyone else who may own your property in the future...to put your fence line at your property boundary as it was surveyed. Anything you passively let others use....eventually becomes theirs.

I think your neighbor moving the stakes was a very inappropriate, and perhaps even illegal act of passive aggressiveness......It doesn't bod well for future interactions with this neighbor.

I would not be so eager to appease a neighbor that would pull such a thing....especially since you had notified him/her in an attempt to forewarn them....Personally that was a very neighborly and considerate action. They likely pulled the stakes upon receipt of your letter.

I personally would have my attorney draw up a cease and desist letter regarding their actions....and include the fees for having the surveyor back out to re-survey that area.
I agree with this response wholeheartedly.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:59 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
My husband will go over on Sunday. He's works long hours and that's his day off. Thanks for all the responses, I learned a lot. I'll update after the visit.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,678 times
Thank you Annie for clearing that up, I was doubting myself. I have no proof other than my neighbor detests my two dogs, but it seemed they were getting sick when they went in a area close to his home. It scared me to death, so I had a separate fenced area built FAR away from him. They haven't been sick since. It could have been a plant in that area, but they never had a problem until I heard him talk about hating them.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:22 PM

He has dogs of his own on an electric fence system. So I would hope he values lives of dogs and won't do anything stupid like that when I finally let my dog out back.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
He has dogs of his own on an electric fence system. So I would hope he values lives of dogs and won't do anything stupid like that when I finally let my dog out back.
There's another complication, eh? Are the wires buried on your property?

Old 11-07-2014, 02:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,433,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
There's another complication, eh? Are the wires buried on your property?
I was just thinking that. My neighbor had their wires on the back of our property which I discovered when I accidently pulled them up while weeding. For us it was a non issue, but I'm betting the first time buyer from h$&& who bought our place and wants a fence won't like it when he discovers it.

If he just moved in a year ago, did he have it installed? The reason I ask is they initially out flags out to train the dog where it is visually. That would have shown what he thought was the property line.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM

I can't see his yard as we stare out to his second floor windows. Unless we walk to the edge of our property and look down. (we are on a higher hilly part) I can tell you that I only seen his dogs through the trees. I never seen them on the grassy flat part.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:27 AM

My husband happened to see neighbor outside in his yard this morning so he walked down to speak to him.

After introductions hubby told him we mailed a letter and and about the survey etc. Neighbor then asked if those were the stakes? Supposedly he thought they were from the city about the easement. He also thought we were just letting him know that we were putting in a fence just in case the fence workers messed up his plants. Long story short, he did think it was his land but on assumption only. He said he will move some of the plants that come back (periannuals?) But leave most as they will die out over winter. Hubby got the feeling that this guy really didn't know much about surveys and was a tiny bit clueless. I don't know if it was an act but we will find out come Spring. I hope that's it though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate