Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times

Advertisements

Natural death or suicide I wouldn't care.

Murder, it would depend on the circumstances. If it is was murder/suicide where the murderer is now dead, probably no issue with it. Where I would walk away would be if:
(1) it was a notorious crime where there would be lookie loos coming by to check out the crime scene.
(2) The murder is unsolved. I would have some fear that the murderer might return to the scene.
(3) The murder is solved, but there's a chance that the murderer might get out on parole within say less than 20 years. There would be some possibility that the murderer would return to visit the house once paroled. This one there might be some leeway for me depending on the murderer/victim relationship and whether the murderer might be dangerous to anyone else besides the victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:01 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
If you were interested in a home to buy, and found out that one of the previous owners passed away (from natural causes) in that home, would that change your interest?

Please post reply yes or no - and give me reasons either way.
No, not in the slightest. I cannot even imagine why it would matter, unless the death were extremely recent and due to a highly contagious disease. Otherwise it is irrelevant.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:07 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
What if they were in the freezer for a long time, instead of just the open air? It sometimes happens that way, because of social security checks.
If the freezer is part of the sale the seller has to clean it out before inspection anyway. If his granny ain't out of the freezer at that point, it's a deal-breaker.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:19 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If the freezer is part of the sale the seller has to clean it out before inspection anyway. If his granny ain't out of the freezer at that point, it's a deal-breaker.
Really?
Wouldn't that be a "Feature?"
I mean, passive revenue and ROI and monthly cash flow?

Old 11-10-2014, 02:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
There's no such thing as a haunted house. There is no such thing as evil spirits or ghosts that remain after death. I can't imagine objecting to buying a house that was the site of a death, violent or otherwise. There are all kinds of things, some of them worse than a natural death, that happen in houses that we never know anything about.

I'm curious to hear why some of you wouldn't want to buy a house in which a murder was committed.
Its not that I believe in ghosts, because I don't, I just know how my mind works and I'd sit there on a quiet night and imagine over and over again how the murder must have happened. I have a very active mind, LOL.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM

383 posts, read 429,626 times
I come from a state where disclosing a violent death is not required by law. The phrase used to describe a house for sale in which a violent death took place is "stigmatized property."

I lived for thirteen years in a home where an old woman died. I assumed she died of natural causes. Immediately after moving in, several incidents occurred that convinced me the house was haunted--not frightening things. Actually, every "haunting" was helpful, sincerely helpful. One morning on my way to work, I was missing a certain notebook. (I lived in this house alone.) I passed and repassed the living room looking for it. On the third or fourth trip, I halted so fast, I almost tripped on my own feet. In a corner of the sofa, there sat the notebook. I stood there for several moments unable to catch my breath. Several other incidents like this happened. They scared the daylights out of me--one so badly, I wanted to immediately put the house back on the market, even though what happened had been "helpful." I remember saying silently to the old woman (I assumed it was the old lady who died there), you're frightening, not helping, me, and I'm going to leave.

Anyway, the "visits" stopped after a few months; I forgot about the old lady. About ten years later, after seeing a film about this subject--the difference being deaths that were violent--the early memories returned. I put the house up for sale and sold it. For ten whole years I'd been able to forget what I considered the hauntings.

I think everything has to do with your frame of mind.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
"Would person dying in a home...?"
Yes.
I would want to wait until they were dead.
Oh, wait a minute, we are all dying in our houses. Closer to death every day.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
We live in a house in which the previous owner died of a heart attack. that was 45 years ago.

Nothing.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:09 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Gonna be honest here but yes, I'd hesitate buying a house if I know that someone died (naturally or murdered) in it. I guess I just have an active imagination. :P
I guess you're doomed to buying brand new houses for the rest of your life, too.

And what would you do should your spouse or anyone else die in the house while you were living in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
I lived for thirteen years in a home where an old woman died. I assumed she died of natural causes. Immediately after moving in, several incidents occurred that convinced me the house was haunted--not frightening things. Actually, every "haunting" was helpful, sincerely helpful.
I bought my first house from a family whose parents both had died in the home within a few months of each other, the wife about two months before I came to look at the house. All around the house were pictures of family - children, grandchildren, she and her husband. She'd been happy in that house, and I was completely comfortable to take care of it for the next 13 years. I figured if she were to haunt me, it would be to wake me if the house was on fire or if there was a gas leak.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 11-10-2014 at 04:25 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Passing away from natural causes is one thing ......murder and suicide is another.

Not quite sure how I could explain this to my daughters (age 6)...definitely upfront as I would not want them to find out at the bus stop from the kids who would have wild stories of the murder/suicide.

Would it affect them.......would they not want to go in that room?

If it was just the wife and I.......... it would not matter if the deal was incredible!

The children would be the wild card. No telling....and not sure I would want to put them through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate