Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times

Advertisements

No. I've spent enough time outside the U.S. to know that many people in the world (possibly the majority) live in homes in which perhaps DOZENS of people have died, if not hundreds. In many countries WARS have been fought in the streets of residential neighborhoods. People to this day live in apartments hundreds of years old near the Roman Colosseum where Christians were thrown to the lions.

Even in the U.S., it used to be perfectly normal to give birth and die in the family home. Up until the 20th century, few people met their end in hospitals and people even had wakes in their homes. This aversion to death seems to me to be a issue to few people except contemporary Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Not if it was 'natural causes'. That wouldn't bother me.

There is a house in our area currently on the market that was the scene of a rather grizzly murder in 98....a son hacked up his parents and almost killed his siblings. It was just a creepy situation, apparently he was into satanic worship and other things. Now THAT house....NO WAY.
We had one of these cases were I am from. The son killed dad and disfigured mom (for insurance $), I wouldn't want that house.

If an elderly person passed away from natural causes it doesn't really bother me much.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:03 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default Olden Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
It wouldn't bother me under most circumstances...when you think of it, if you have lived in a house more than about 60 years old there is a pretty good chance at least one death occurred in it; many deaths occurred at home before the 1950s (when more and more people died in hospitals or other medical care facilities as medicine advanced).

I know the house my great grandfather lived in for more than 40 years, which is still extant today (it was just sold last year), at least five deaths occurred there, just under his ownership: His wife in 1943, mother-in-law in 1935, one of their infant children in 1912, another family memeber in the late 1920s, and the last being his own death in 1955...since the house was built shortly after the Civil War, there was probably more deaths before his ownership and possibly more after it too (though more likely before).
My house was built in the 1880s and I reason there was very likely at least one or two over the years, if not more, though I have not yet bothered to look into that yet.
Where it might be bothersome to me is where the property is actually 'stigmatized', which often is from some sort of notoriety surrounding the person who died or the circumstances of death, like a murder. I might be a bit uncomfortable with a recent suicide as well...but it would come down to how I "felt" when looking at the place. I suppose.
Not only did a lot of people used to die at home and not in a hospital, but the wakes and funerals used to be held inside the house, usually in the living room. In the olden days, say 1800's, there were not very many funeral parlors and people used to just set up a couple of chairs in the living room, candles, and have the casket sitting atop something so mourners can view the body. If you look at old newspapers from the period, they would mention "Mr. So&so services to be held at 2:00 in the afternoon today" and the location would be a home address, presumably the deceased's former place of residence.

I wouldn't have a problem with an elderly person passing away in their bed of natural causes and especially if they led a somewhat happy existence and went peacefully.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:08 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
There is a website that, for a charge, will look up the history of a house to see if any deaths had occurred there. This is a new website I read about in a newspaper story - they said before buying a house to ask the listing agent. There are some laws though in some states that say that they have no legal obligation to say anything if the death occurred over three years ago, I think. I'm not sure, but I heard something like that - that would be awful if there was a "bad" death in the house that occurred 4 years ago and the real estate agent didn't have to disclose anything.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:30 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
yes it would change my mind most definitely . My grandma used to tell me that some peoples souls remain after they die and that has stuck with me and I would never ever buy a house where a violent crime occurred as opposed to someone who passed away in their sleep aka peacefully . I have even gone as far as to look up the history on a house and have talked to the older neighbors ones that were there when the stuff happened . I can recall one that it scared the pejeesus outta me and there was no way I would ever buy that house in a million years . So to answer the ops question yes it would most definitely change my mind and influence me big time .

Old 11-12-2014, 09:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I could care less if someone died in a home I owned. Heck, my homes have all been around 100 years old or more, so most limey someone died in them.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:17 AM

130 posts, read 163,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And it should be illegal to require this as a disclosure item. Some states require any death within the last three years, some require for suicid and murder. It's flat out discrimination. ESPECIALLY when an in home death from AIDS is exempt from those disclosure requirements!

(I am not a Realtor and may be mistaken on SOME of the specifics, so correct me politely, please. No flames are necessary.)
This thread proves that it bothers some people. And that in turn affects the ability to sell the home, which in turn affects its value. Ergo, this is rightly a disclosure item, because it directly relates to the home value.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
It makes people uncomfortable because it reminds them of their own mortality. For others, it might raise superstitious fears. For me, I don't care at all what happened in a house. The line would only be drawn at sleeping on a bed that someone had died in, and not because they died, but because there might be fluids and other bits that leaked out while the corpse was awaiting discovery and removal.

Now, that creeps me out.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
The line would only be drawn at sleeping on a bed that someone had died in, and not because they died, but because there might be fluids and other bits that leaked out while the corpse was awaiting discovery and removal.
Living people leak fluids also.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:44 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
This thread proves that it bothers some people. And that in turn affects the ability to sell the home, which in turn affects its value. Ergo, this is rightly a disclosure item, because it directly relates to the home value.
Okay, then tell me why AIDS is exempt by federal law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate