Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:37 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times

Advertisements

If that were true, then many pre-war houses would have no bedrooms. I actually did not know that there were states where this was true. Which states, if I might ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:34 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't know if this applies to the OP but with all the HGTV types shows, does no one every remember that a bedroom in the basement always must have some opening to the outside in order for it to be counted as a bedroom? Including a closet? Maybe it's just me then.
Yes, and actually the idea is safe egress in the event of emergency such as fire. Some require the basement to be finished in the area of the bedrooms too. Secondary egress from the basement...not just the stairs upstairs in some areas.

Some require a closet. But, of course, there are historic ones with no closets.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
If that were true, then many pre-war houses would have no bedrooms. I actually did not know that there were states where this was true. Which states, if I might ask?
There are such states but I've experienced in those same states historic homes are another story.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:38 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
Quote:
Florida is one.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:47 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
Quote:
CA is another, and quite frankly I think it's in the Uniform Building Code at this point, which may or may not be adopted by local jurisdictions (with local modifications).

Lack of egress may also be a National Fire Code issue.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:51 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't know if this applies to the OP but with all the HGTV types shows, does no one every remember that a bedroom in the basement always must have some opening to the outside in order for it to be counted as a bedroom? Including a closet? Maybe it's just me then.
They don't always mention that, but the home refirb ones do. My agent said this one house I looked at had one room you could use as a bedroom but it didn't have a closet so it couldn't be listed as one.

My sil's house was supposedly bought with an inspection. What this supposed inspection missed was the five different and unconnected parts of the foundation from add ons. Despite much work they still shift with the swarms of earthquakes we have. Make sure your inspector does a proper job.

If the rest of the house is okay, if I was the OP, I'd put in the access on the rooms and call it a lesson. It preserves their assumed value and is a whole lot safer.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:10 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,931,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
CA is another, and quite frankly I think it's in the Uniform Building Code at this point, which may or may not be adopted by local jurisdictions (with local modifications).

Lack of egress may also be a National Fire Code issue.
I can't find a link that agrees with the idea that the building code says bedrooms require closets. The first two I could find definitely did not have closest as a requirement:

Like in Alameda County or Sonoma County.

It might be something like fruits, where botanists and grocers have similar but different definitions.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania is one unless that's a myth. Pre war is probably grandfathered.

My mother's agent tried listing her house calling her finished porch a bedroom. ALL the other agents showing up with buyers called her out on it.

When I google it lots of sites come up discussing if it's a myth or not.

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...efinition.html

Old 11-24-2014, 05:30 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
Here's a link to the state law that defines a bedroom in Florida

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I can't find a link that agrees with the idea that the building code says bedrooms require closets. The first two I could find definitely did not have closest as a requirement:

Like in Alameda County or Sonoma County.

It might be something like fruits, where botanists and grocers have similar but different definitions.
The general rule to be called a bedroom is that it must be closed off by a door/has privacy (so lofts aren't generally bedrooms), has an escapable window (does not need to be to current codes but a typical person has to be able to fit through it), has a closet, is finished and has a source of heat. So basement bedrooms with cement slab floors are generally not bedrooms. But a basement room that is finished that has a higher window that someone can get out of, that isn't as low as current building standards require, would still be considered a bedroom.

OP, you had an appraisal on the house, yes? Look at your appraisal. You will see that they might call the house a two bedroom house but they do count the two extra spaces as rooms in the house that have value because the typical buyer would use them as bedrooms which add value.

There are old houses that technically have no bedrooms on an appraisal, but have 5 rooms that buyers of old houses would indeed use as bedrooms with an armoire. Most agents, at least here locally, write in the MLS that they are 5 bedroom homes, but such and such number don't have closets.

While I think it is kind of stinky that your buyer agent didn't educate you about marketing and legal bedrooms, you need to look at your appraisal closely. You will see that the appraiser added value for the rooms because they do have value to the typical buyer.

Oh, and your contractor isn't helpful. Many MLS's put the finished square footage in there. Even though it might not be a legal bedroom, it sounds like it is finished square footage. That has value and would be included in most MLS's under the square footage number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate