Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:23 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,029,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The neighbours who are complaining about what colour he wants to paint it.... ITS HIS HOUSE!!!!

SCREW THE NEIGHBOURS!!!!!!!
Dude,catch up. The OP was talking about the first house he backed out of due to HOA. There is not one at the house bought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 8,750 times
How did this end up for you? Did u eventually end up liking your new home or still hate it? I'm in a similar situation. My GF and I just bought a new home. Moved last weekend over 3 days way too much stuff. We are mostly in but everything is in disarray and I hate our new place. I'm like wtf did I just do. Someone said grow up and that's good advice. All homes need work and have things that aren't right or trade offs for wants/needs. We had a really nice, paid off, ranch. Just under 2k sq ft that was mostly fixed up and we had looking great. Thing is we both thought our old home was great but not fantastic. But now that it's gone. I really miss it. Even the things I hated about it (busier street). Not great neighbor. Apt complex behind it. And not even a great neighborhood. It was ok. Just no where near our dream home. Now I'm thinking maybe that was our dream home after all. A smaller 1984 ranch, with updates in the right places. Low taxes. Low utils. Bigger driveway. RV gate. Solar heater pebble pool. Easy to clean and fix.

Now. What we moved to should sound like a dream. But i freaking hate it so far and we've been in two days. There's 4 things keeping me sane though. Good school district (previous house mediocre to bad). Resort like backyard. Great neighborhood desirable location. Decent floor plan. All the things we wanted. But why am I freaking out? Well, I know why.

The house is newer but man that doesn't mean better quality I'm finding out. I thought 1984 was poorer quality but updated it was actually really nice. 1996 original builder fixtures/doors and hardware = major downgrade. Our crappy 1984 flooring and cheaper but nice 5" baseboards now seem luxurious compared to the new place. Flooring = downgrade. We bought a two story. Bigger. 3k sq ft. Apparently fixer. Great. It cost me $200 a month for old house. New house with now a hoa costs over 1600 with mortgage taxes and insurance a now an hoa. Feeling pretty stupid. Not having a mortgage was awesome. My GF and I are splitting. But still. She went from free to half of 1600. Plus utils etc. for a place that sort of sucks more on quality and now being bigger and less functional. Pluses are neighborhood and area are fantastic and considered desirable. Good schools. Park like setting. But u pay. Oh yes.

Words of wisdom: if u find paradise, put up a parking lot.

We're going to try to make new place go. Get organized. Everything working. Upgrade here and there. Paint. Doors and hardware. Maybe some flooring. The old place I realllly didn't like as it needed lots of work when i bought it. And we made it our own and really liked it after a little while. too bad the location and schools weren't so hot. We would have stayed for sure.

Now I'm wondering if we fix up. Assess and if still hate the cookie cutter hoa living we go back to older home. Smaller but modernized. In better area though. And hopefully a little cheaper on the price, taxes. Insurance and no hoa.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn
Dude,catch up. The OP was talking about the first house he backed out of due to HOA. There is not one at the house bought.
Oops im sorry,I got kinda mad @ the neighbours!!

Old 09-15-2015, 06:58 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
So the OP regrets buying this one and would have rather have the one with dog or car pee smell even with a new carpet and an HOA dictatorship. Sounds like the OP would have been miserable at any home he bought.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 PM

741 posts, read 590,245 times
We just sold what we thought was going to be our "forever" home & moved into a rental. I thought I would miss homeownership but i couldn't be happier. My point is, people's circumstances change for unforseen reasons but you can still find reasons to be happy about where you are right now. As willow wind said, this house isn't forever. In the meantime find something to enjoy about it. A home isn't just the roof over your head, its the people you share it with and the memories you make while you're there. It's also an investment. So if you can't exactly see it for the emotional Valencia, think of working on improving it as an investment that should yield an increase in value. That can work to lessen your regret.

Start with small things to personalize your home, like new furniture and/or new flooring/paint/window coverings. Wait awhile, save some money and then do more to it. Or work on painting/remodeling/re-furnishing one room at a time. Do some landscaping. You'll turn around and 5 years will fly by. At that point you may be able to put it on the market and sell for a greater profit from all the work you've done to it. In the meantime remember that you wanted to be a homeowner instead of a renter. For you, your family and your circumstances, owning this house right now is better for you than renting.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,209,625 times
To the guy hijacking this thread.... it is never a good idea to buy a home with someone other than your husband or wife.....

Old 09-16-2015, 06:48 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBlogClog View Post
How did this end up for you?
He still hates it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...bad-house.html

Old 09-16-2015, 09:09 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,653,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBlogClog View Post
My GF and I are splitting.
Ouch. Hope you got something in writing the proceeds from the house will be yours. Otherwise she could get half at closing.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:50 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,784 times
We once bought a house that we only lived in for two years. It was a really pretty great big North western contemporary style house that I thought would be our dream home. Sometimes things don't turn out to be what you think. I won't go into our reasons for moving on and why it wasn't a good fit. That doesn't matter. Being happy or not is a decision. If you are absolutely miserable do some soul searching because I don't think its the house. Look at reality. It isn't the end of the world. Move you stuff in, clean all that up and now that you've but the effort in to buying it give it a chance and see. You can move again if this doesn't work. People do it all the time.

I drive by that big brown monster once in a while and still have good memories from when my family was there. Life's too short to be miserable.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:30 PM

137 posts, read 177,553 times
Don't beat yourself up over it. Whats done is done.

We looked for awhile and found a house that we both fell in love with. It went to highest and best and of course we didnt get it even though we went 7k over asking price. Well a few days later we found another house that we liked so we put in an offer and it was accepted. A week into the process (inspections already done, appraisal scheduled..) the original house we wanted comes back on the market! But we decided not to pursue it in case it went to highest and best again then we would have lost out on both homes and had to start from scratch!

I still think about it sometimes but I know I need to let it go. The house we have is great and the yard and pool is amazing plus we are way closer to the beach. Maybe in a few years we will sell it and move again when our budget is higher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate