Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:44 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,975,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Instead of inland in places like Kansas. You can get a house for almost no cost in certain areas of Kansas and other non coastal states. Try finding that deal in a coastal state. Will not happen, you will likely be spending well north of $1 million dollars to own a home in the coastal states. Especially in highly desireable areas. So my
question is even if one have a good cash flow why would someone willingly choose to live in a place like Boston when they could own a house for almost no cost and save more money in the Midwest states?
Because the governor of KS is Sam Brownback. Remember this thread? It's going on as we speak, and it's all about him. With him as governor, I wouldn't want to live in KS either. Click your heels together three times to get back to. . . the East Coast

//www.city-data.com/forum/curre...-class-49.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,121,569 times
If I could, I would. I love the east coast. Aside from it being where I grew up - it's got it all. The best museums, Broadway theaters, the best food, and the sound of the ocean, the smell of the sea, great public transportation, and good medical care. BTW, it doesn't cost a million dollars EVERYWHERE, just in the major cities or waterview.

But we chose to move inland and I'm not unhappy since we do travel frequently - where to? ocean places. The boardwalks of NJ, the beach area of Staten Island, Long Island, Rhode Island and Boston - or further south into Virginia, the Carolinas and all the way to Florida.

We are going to be in the Caribbean in a few more weeks. The ocean calls us.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
Im a West Coast boy. Can't imagine not seeing the ocean every day. I can't imagine life anywhere else. It is February 13th and today it was 82 degrees. It is not humid here so its not like other areas. I lived in Iowa for a couple years and it was humid there. When it was hot in Iowa you were dripping wet because of the humidity. Not sure how it is in Kansas. Yes I have an old house that cost us over $300,000 to buy it. Its only on a 6,000 square foot lot. It has less than 1,700 square feet of living space. I know we could have a much nicer home in kansas than here. But it would not be here where we love it. Our home has allready increased in value to over $400,000.

We love mountains as well. How many mountains do they have in Kansas?

we have an active lifestyle and love to be able to be outside all year long. A mild climate suits us.

Not sure what your electic bill was last month. Mine was $38 and our gas bill was $45 or so dollars. We don't use the heater, we don't have an Airconditioner, we don't need them.

I am not going to knock living in Kansas. I bet that for the millions that live there it is the right place to be. It is not that for us.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-13-2015 at 08:01 PM..

Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
We recently relocated from Boston to Ohio after 18 years. There has been zero cuture shock, all cultural amenities offered in Boston other than the ocean are available here. The ocean is the provenance of the rich and barring getting up at 6am to fight for a $25 parking space a day or three in the summer the ocean was not a part of our Boston experience. So we don't really miss it. The job opportunities are better in Ohio as there are far fewer candidates with our experience and expertise so wages are higher than Boston while most other costs are lower. For us it was the right decision, for the rest of our family: they will stay in Boston renting rather than owning, living paycheck to paycheck, unable to afford luxuries like cable tv or car payments, just to stay in Boston and never see the ocean.

People have to convince themselves that it is worth it, and by exposing them to the truth you threaten their delusion and they will lash out to protect it and argue to convince you and everyone else because if they don't- what then? They cannot afford to believe otherwise. In my little suburb in Ohio there are 4 other recent Boston transplant couples, when I was in line at the DMV to change my license 8 out of the 10 people in line were surrendering Massachusetts licenses. People are making the decision to leave and those left are either too rich to want to or too poor to be able to.

Left Long Island for Ohio two years ago (with a couple of dismal years in PA in between)

I attended college in Massachusetts. I love the North East. But I also like to travel, not be house poor, eat out, and have nice things. I also have kids to send to college.

The Mid West is not all "flyover country". And each state has it's own flavor.

Ohio is part of the moderate to progressive upper Mid West. We have some of the best colleges in the country in the Northern Mid West - University of Chicago, Case Western Reserve, St. Olaf, Macalaster, Oberlin, Beloit, Kenyon, Kalamazoo, Earlham, University of Michigan @ Ann Arbor and so many others.

Kansas, and Missouri are different from the Northern Mid West.

The Mid West is not monolithic. There are a variety of cultures and living experiences.

We wish that we moved here earlier.

I love to visit the North East and New England.

However, in either of those places, my house would sell for a half a million to about 700K (back on LI)

I am so glad that we left.

Explore the Mid West! We have a lot to offer. Vacation here! Look at the homes and their prices. You just may want to stay.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:41 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,395,952 times
If their Career takes them to the East Coast, I guess. Few people have jobs that allow them to live anywhere, the very upper class (Doctors, etc) and the very lower class (Ditch Diggers, etc). The majority of the middle class is location dependent.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 PM

298 posts, read 704,859 times
Shhh Don't tell people how lovely it is living in the Midwest. Let them continue to think it's all culture-less flyover country full of ignorant dolts.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,187,772 times
I think a better question is 'why would anyone want to live in Kansas?'

Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 PM

191 posts, read 454,592 times
I grew up in the midwest. There is NO WAY I would move back there. The weather is not to my liking, the culture is not to my liking, and the landscape is not to my liking. It doesn't matter how cheap it is to live there, to me. Housing costs are not the only important thing in life; lifestyle matters as well. And for me, California has the lifestyle I want, and the midwest does not.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:36 AM

3,248 posts, read 6,307,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
I grew up in the midwest. There is NO WAY I would move back there. The weather is not to my liking, the culture is not to my liking, and the landscape is not to my liking. It doesn't matter how cheap it is to live there, to me. Housing costs are not the only important thing in life; lifestyle matters as well. And for me, California has the lifestyle I want, and the midwest does not.
I grew up in the Midwest and I am looking forward to moving back there! It has nothing to do with cost. Even if California was exactly the same cost as the Midwest I would still plan on moving back to the midwest.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:37 AM

897 posts, read 1,181,187 times
Being landlocked is not fun. I've also heard it's flat there (hence the tornadoes), and those two things, tornadoes and staring off into flat land, isn't to my liking for obvious reasons. There's more diversified flora and I hear the insects in the midwest can get serious. The east coast also has more history as it kind of was where settlers first came. Thus, it's a bit more 'developed' when it comes to that. Also, I kind of like being a few miles outside of one of the greatest cities on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate