Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 03:47 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,227,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Instead of inland in places like Kansas. You can get a house for almost no cost in certain areas of Kansas and other non coastal states. Try finding that deal in a coastal state. Will not happen, you will likely be spending well north of $1 million dollars to own a home in the coastal states. Especially in highly desireable areas. So my
question is even if one have a good cash flow why would someone willingly choose to live in a place like Boston when they could own a house for almost no cost and save more money in the Midwest states?
There is more going on in one square mile of Boston than in half the state of Kansas. Except for the Red Socks I will take Boston over dullsville any day of the week. Lets now go to the South end of the East coast. If you find a South Beach cam on the net you will see one attractive woman a minute on Lincoln Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 05:57 PM

6,593 posts, read 4,987,517 times
The ocean is magical and I can get to it in 40 minutes. That said, the COL and winter is killing me and I would love to move south/west to something better and deal with visiting the ocean every year or two. Besides, my wonderful state (haha) raised parking rates at the beaches so high a few years back that I don't even go anymore unless it's for work.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 02-14-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 07:13 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,434,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
There is more going on in one square mile of Boston than in half the state of Kansas. Except for the Red Socks I will take Boston over dullsville any day of the week. Lets now go to the South end of the East coast. If you find a South Beach cam on the net you will see one attractive woman a minute on Lincoln Road.
Dull is relative,it's what you make of it. I'd rather have that then arrogant New England attitude.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,236,478 times
My grandma always said only boring people get bored...

Old 02-15-2015, 01:52 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,255,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
What does Kansas have to offer that the east coast doesn't besides tornadoes?
How often at night
When the heavens are bright
With the light of the glittering stars
Have I stood there amazed
And asked as I gazed
If their glory exceeds that of ours

Old 02-15-2015, 04:18 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
People are anchored by just about everything, and the anchor gets bigger and bigger as years pass. Then they are limited to what they can spend to live. An independently wealthy person with no ties to any area, is probably not going to hone in on suburban New Jersey. Or Kansas, for that matter.
Yes, that anchor gets heavier and heavier. Eventually you realized that all the things you thought you 'needed' are still there but you never do them. I lived for fifteen years a quarter mile from the beach. We'd walk down there a couple of times a year, never in the summer. In exchange we had deep fog from mid afternoon to mid morning all winter. The pain in the neck part of driving to work when you couldn't see the road made me move further inland. Just becase the beach is near doesn't mean that many of the people living by you go there often.

And while I've lived in a lot of places in socal, and have great memories with family, family had moved. And I do miss the usual stuff with friends, maybe once a year. But I realized that that 'anchor' was to something which was already gone. The culture I grew up in and loved is long gone. I realized I didn't particularly like the way things are now, the rudeness, the rush, the crowds, and so on.

I cut the anchor. I was coming here to Oklahoma to visit a friend and work on a convention for a tv show. So I looked into the area. I got off the train to blue skies, not smoggy gunk. There's lots of open space (there was in socal when I was a kid there too). I could live in a house rather than an apartment I hated. The anchor sunk into the mud of memory.

There was a time when I'd have never moved away but things changed. I think there are a lot of people who don't know they're unhappy since they never give thought to why they stay, and that everyone should pull up the anchor every so many years and see if they really want to drop it again since sometimes change and new places, even those which are not supposed to be desirable, can be a great new sense of freedom.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:28 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
My grandma always said only boring people get bored...
People stuck out in places like western Nebraska need to believe things like that.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,830,716 times
Forget Kansas, I could buy just 20 minutes away from where I live for half the price of what I'm paying now. Did I? No.

I live by that old adage, you get what you pay for. While I won't pay for overpriced ridiculous stuff but I do try to make it a good deal. If the entire area is cheap, there's a reason for it.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:13 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,236,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
People stuck out in places like western Nebraska need to believe things like that.
Stuck? I can live anywhere I want.
(And have moved 11 times in 6 different states lol)

I choose to live here.
I can't even imagine wanting to live where I'm surrounded by so many million other people
Bleah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok
How often at night
When the heavens are bright
With the light of the glittering stars
Have I stood there amazed
And asked as I gazed
If their glory exceeds that of ours
Amen
A ridiculously overdone song, but oh so true.
People back east can't even see the full night sky because of all the lights of "civilization!"

I don't ever want to live where I can't see the sky...

Last edited by itsMeFred; 02-15-2015 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,247,553 times
This begs the question, is there life in Kansas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate