Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 05:17 AM

16 posts, read 31,242 times

Advertisements

I purchased my country home with my two dogs in mind. They have always been protected within an invisible fence and know their boundaries well. My driveway is centered in the middle of my property so my two shepherds have run and played on both sides for nearly six years.
Although I agreed, when I purchased my home, to allow use of my driveway if anyone ever bought the little piece of land in back of me, I never really expected it to sell. It's just a small piece, literally in the middle of nowhere. But here they are, suddenly scooping up this property, sticking a mobile home out there and turning our lives upside down.
Yes, I can and probably will have to find a way to move the base of the invisible fence to a location that cuts their play area literally in half, perhaps even building a protected shelter for the unit since it's not waterproof and needs electricity.
It's difficult and a bit disheartening to suddenly take away the land my shepherds have run and played on for so many years and continue making mortgage payments on this property we no longer can use.
I have only asked for a little consideration when turning onto my property. This wouldn't be too much to ask the average person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 05:30 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Well, you knew the rules when you moved in about letting them use your driveway. A little late to have regrets now. Wish I had an easy solution for you, but it looks like your fur buddies might have to play in a smaller area now.

Don

Old 05-10-2015, 05:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy cummings View Post
Although I agreed, when I purchased my home, to allow use of my driveway if anyone ever bought the little piece of land in back of me, I never really expected it to sell.
So you did sell???

Yes, this is unfortunate but reality. Perhaps a real estate attorney could have helped you figure out another access at the time of the sale??

Old 05-10-2015, 06:03 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Are the dogs jumping on the cars as they go down the driveway or are you concerned about them being run over by their cars going down the driveway? I guess I'm trying to figure out why you can't leave the invisible fence where it is and let the dogs remain having all the yard even though there will be others using the driveway.

I would think it's in your best interest to befriend the land owners and many would be fine with the dogs. You would just need to make sure the dogs are going on their land which doesn't sound like the case.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:40 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Speed bumps.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:46 AM

16 posts, read 31,242 times
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't attempt to engage brain before caffeine. I'll try to clarify.
I purchased the home I am currently living in 6 years ago. The piece of land that is located behind me was recently sold/purchased. I knew nothing of this transaction until I saw a mobile home being hauled down my driveway and past my house, breaking the limbs off my huge oak tree and tearing up the driveway as it went.
It's been six months since my new neighbors made their arrival, during which time I have tried to be neighborly, but it is clear they have no interest in reciprocating.
Suddenly my very quiet, country homestead has vehicles screaming in/out and at all hours of the day/night. My driveway is centered smack dab in the center of my property and very close to my house, So it's like having a driveway in the middle of your front lawn.
I hated to ask him to slow his vehicle down, but fearing for my dogs safety I did so in the most diplomatic way I could. This seemed to only pose a challenge to him and the opportunity to engage his "legal rights".
Soon after this discussion the speed of his vehicle only seemed to accelerate and soon his entire family joined in, wife and three adult children.

I seriously believe when this "man" hit my dog, it was intentional and malicious. He never even stopped his vehicle. I stopped letting my dogs play outside alone, so I was there to witness this horror.
The day after I brought my dog home from the hospital, I placed pavers across the driveway in an attempt to slow these neighbors from hell down. Several hours later, he drove over them with ease, stopped his p/u truck and proceeded to load his truck with my stones. I witnessed this from my kitchen window, so I went out and ask him what he thought he was doing and began removing my pavers from the bed of his truck. He then pushed me. This "man" (I use the term loosely) is my age, about 52 years old, he weighs about 6'2" and has to weigh close to 300 lbs. a pretty big guy.
I am 5'4 and 120 lbs. so it didn't take much to nearly knock me off my feet. Can you believe he ran to town and pressed charges for assault against me! He obviously was a desperate attempt to get ahead of me because he figured I was going press charges against him. So in return I had him served as well.
All this chaos is beginning to drain me, I have been fighting cancer for over a year now and this is beginning to take too much out of me. it is not in my nature to be confrontational, but it is in my nature to fight for what I believe in.
As long as these speed demons are allowed to come in and out of my driveway with no regulations, we are no longer safe on our own property.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:06 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
You should put in speed bumps as others have suggested. Maybe the guy thinks that if he can "run you off" he could purchase the property at a discount?

It is too late for you but anyone buying rural property should consider easements and how they might be a problem in the future. I have an easement running down the side of my property and although there have been minor issues (loud vehicles) every once in a while it isn't too bad. Had I thought out the purchase I probably should have passed on this place and kept looking. The good news is my property is already sub-divided into three five acre lots that all have access to the easement. It is likely the easement owner would sell rights for these three lots in the future. If not I could put a road on my property to access the three lots.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
You should talk to a real estate attorney. Maybe you can work something out where you add a 2nd driveway on the edge of your property for them to use, and modify the easement in the deeds so they use the new driveway.

Another option is to find out from the attorney whether you are legally allowed to install a speed hump. And if they attempt to remove it you call the policy for theft/damage to property and sue them to replace it. But an attorney could send a notice letter to them ahead of time warning them that they cannot remove it.

The other option - you sell your property and buy a diff property where there is no easement where someone else can use your driveway.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:09 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Speed bumps. I would get a tractor and put in a speed bump every 5 feet.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:15 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
What an awful situation!!! This is a lot of stress you don't need. I agree with other poster's advice - check with an attorney to see what legally can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate