Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 PM

8 posts, read 11,185 times

Advertisements

Hi - We are planning to buy a new construction home in Atlanta. During inspection we found Radon at almost 16 pci/l (basement). The builder called in a mitigation company and they put in an active mitigation system. I purchased an instant radon meter - Corentium 223 Digital Electronic Radon Gas Monitor from Amazon and measured the levels 48 hours after the system was put in place - the readings came to around 4.5 (2 day average). The builder in turn conducted a short term charcoal test (single) and the readings are around 3.4.

Find myself in a kind of bind with very little time to decide - which test should I go by - Can the mitigation company's work be trusted (they are certified on the GA website)

Any recommendations + thoughts ?? ....Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
You need a 90 day test for certainty.

"Long-term tests remain in your home for more than 90 days. "Alpha track" and "electret" detectors are commonly used for this type of testing. A long-term test will give you a reading that is more likely to tell you your home's year-round average radon level than a short-term test."
A Citizen's Guide to Radon | Radon | US Environmental Protection Agency

Does the mitigation firm guarantee their work with a written warranty?

And, at the levels you note, 4.5% vs. 3.4%, you are splitting hairs, IMO.
With your family living in the house, opening and closing doors, running vent fans, etc., your radon level should decrease.

I might consider requiring the builder to have the mitigation company run a 90 day test, with a guarantee that high levels will be addressed at that point. All in writing.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:44 AM

Thanks Mike - The mitigation company does have some type of warranty - though I am yet to see the same. Will push forward with the request for a Long Term test.

Is it a standard practice for a escrow $$ amount to be kept aside in these circumstances ?

Thanks once again.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muv2atl View Post
Thanks Mike - The mitigation company does have some type of warranty - though I am yet to see the same. Will push forward with the request for a Long Term test.

Is it a standard practice for a escrow $$ amount to be kept aside in these circumstances ?

Thanks once again.
"Standard Practice?"
I really have no clue. I have only seen elevated radon one time, and it was on a condo I was selling for myself.
We paid for the 90 day test, which was performed after closing, and the condo association agreed to cover the cost of remediation if necessary.

So, that was an entirely different experience. But, here I very seldom see money set aside after closing. Just about never, on any transaction. Lenders hate it and the closing attorneys don't want to hold it.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Thanks once again MikeJaquish

Old 05-19-2015, 12:53 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You need a 90 day test for certainty.

"Long-term tests remain in your home for more than 90 days. "Alpha track" and "electret" detectors are commonly used for this type of testing. A long-term test will give you a reading that is more likely to tell you your home's year-round average radon level than a short-term test."
A Citizen's Guide to Radon | Radon | US Environmental Protection Agency

Does the mitigation firm guarantee their work with a written warranty?

And, at the levels you note, 4.5% vs. 3.4%, you are splitting hairs, IMO.
With your family living in the house, opening and closing doors, running vent fans, etc., your radon level should decrease.

I might consider requiring the builder to have the mitigation company run a 90 day test, with a guarantee that high levels will be addressed at that point. All in writing.
I work in an area of the country where radon is quite common. I can say I've seen higher radon test results than what you've posted and installing a mitigation system has never failed to lower the level's below the 4.0 guideline the EPA recommends.

I once had a client buy his own inexpensive radon meter. It was pretty inaccurate from what I recall. It can also take a few days for the system to lower levels.

First, I would go back and run the two types of test again. If your meter still comes out higher then my guess is your meter is probably inaccurate. You can try to request a 90 day test, but given that your house is buttoned up enough that you're even performing a test I'm guessing your closing is scheduled for the near future and that might be tough to get. I would definitely want to see the warranty paperwork for the mitigation system and I would want to call around and find out if the company is reputable and honors the warranty. Your agent will probably be able to inform you about this.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Thanks MikePru

The mitigation company is a large national one - they sub-contracted the install and had a certified person come in after that to certify the install. I have not yet received a formal guarantee document from them- though I have been told that I would be covered for an year. To your point will ask for the same.

Thanks once again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate