Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 04:09 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times

Advertisements

I would use padmapper as an more accurate gauge of market rent.

The answer to this is always "it depends."

In my area rents FAR outpace housing costs so it makes more sense to buy if you have enough disposable money for a downpayment. I pay $635 and my property would rent for $1000. This may not be true for your area. In my case I have VA loan eligibility which means no money down and no PMI.

You can do a lot of maintenance yourself and it's not as big of a deal as people here make it seem. Plus, landlords are not exactly going to do the best fixes - they will do bare minimum to keep the place standing. People are saying "OMG maintenance!" because they're comparing apples to oranges - meaning what an invested home-owner does with their house vs. an absent landlord who will go with the lowest bid and cheapest material every time.

I bought a former rent-house and the previous owner did practically nothing for 10 years except keep the place standing.

Interest rates going up will actually improve the rental market for landlords because fewer people will be able to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 04:45 PM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I would use padmapper as an more accurate gauge of market rent.

The answer to this is always "it depends."

In my area rents FAR outpace housing costs so it makes more sense to buy if you have enough disposable money for a downpayment. I pay $635 and my property would rent for $1000. This may not be true for your area. In my case I have VA loan eligibility which means no money down and no PMI.

You can do a lot of maintenance yourself and it's not as big of a deal as people here make it seem. Plus, landlords are not exactly going to do the best fixes - they will do bare minimum to keep the place standing. People are saying "OMG maintenance!" because they're comparing apples to oranges - meaning what an invested home-owner does with their house vs. an absent landlord who will go with the lowest bid and cheapest material every time.

I bought a former rent-house and the previous owner did practically nothing for 10 years except keep the place standing.

Interest rates going up will actually improve the rental market for landlords because fewer people will be able to buy.
Did you read the part where she may only be in that state for a year? I am surprised people are saying buy for that short a time frame. I think you'd be foolish to buy without knowing where you're going to be living in a year.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
If you may move in the next few years, and it's not a lot cheaper to own, then rent. Only reason to buy in this scenario is if you expect the market to rise rapidly.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 PM

490 posts, read 838,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Not sure where you're getting figure of paying $400 a month in principal for the first three years. That seems very high to me.
It does seem high for the first years.. I was using an amortization calculator, but I should double check the numbers...

In any case, I heard interest rates rose last week, so I may have missed my sub-4% 30-year fixed conventional window..

I might have to ride it out by renting, as others have indicated it's not a good idea to buy a property if i'm not sure i'll be in the area for over 1-2 or 3 years.. much less 5+ years.. plus since my intent would be to eventually rent out the property after 1-2 years or so maybe, and expectation is that the rent would merely pay my actual total monthly costs and help pay down principal, maybe it's not worth the potential complications and headaches.. plus i'd put myself at risk of dipping into the net proceeds from sale of my current house for any unexpected repairs or damages..

so with that in mind, where is the best place for me to park my money while not having it shrink in value due to inflation? I have about 80K to park and do something with conservatively so that it maintains if not increases its present value in the future.

I think that with interest rates going up, savings account interest rates will also go up, although I'm not expecting great returns from that..

btw, in the area near work, rent for 2bd/2ba apartments are like 1400-1700, and an additional 40-70 in pet rent for 2 pets. I might have to look outside of the city where I work, to find cheaper places to rent.

I did enjoy owning my house but felt that I should pull out the equity now for a rainy day fund, investment fund and fund for down payment on other property(s) down the road.. especially since i'm not sure I want to stay at my current job and not sure about its stability in coming years.. having a fund to fall back on relieves some stress and dependency on the current job..

one of my family members wanted me to keep the house, refinance and take out an HELOC but I didn't like that idea as much as taking my money off the table now while the getting is good.

Maybe the home value will continue to go up, but with rising interest rates maybe i'd have a harder time selling too.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did you read the part where she may only be in that state for a year? I am surprised people are saying buy for that short a time frame. I think you'd be foolish to buy without knowing where you're going to be living in a year.
Oh I didn't see that. The New York Times has a good rent vs buy calculator where you can input the relevant data for your area. However, the over/under is always 3-5 years at least.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 AM

259 posts, read 268,386 times
The NYT's rent vs buy calculator:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ator.html?_r=0

Old 06-08-2015, 10:19 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
It does seem high for the first years.. I was using an amortization calculator, but I should double check the numbers...

In any case, I heard interest rates rose last week, so I may have missed my sub-4% 30-year fixed conventional window..

I might have to ride it out by renting, as others have indicated it's not a good idea to buy a property if i'm not sure i'll be in the area for over 1-2 or 3 years.. much less 5+ years.. plus since my intent would be to eventually rent out the property after 1-2 years or so maybe, and expectation is that the rent would merely pay my actual total monthly costs and help pay down principal, maybe it's not worth the potential complications and headaches.. plus i'd put myself at risk of dipping into the net proceeds from sale of my current house for any unexpected repairs or damages..

so with that in mind, where is the best place for me to park my money while not having it shrink in value due to inflation? I have about 80K to park and do something with conservatively so that it maintains if not increases its present value in the future.

I think that with interest rates going up, savings account interest rates will also go up, although I'm not expecting great returns from that..

btw, in the area near work, rent for 2bd/2ba apartments are like 1400-1700, and an additional 40-70 in pet rent for 2 pets. I might have to look outside of the city where I work, to find cheaper places to rent.

I did enjoy owning my house but felt that I should pull out the equity now for a rainy day fund, investment fund and fund for down payment on other property(s) down the road.. especially since i'm not sure I want to stay at my current job and not sure about its stability in coming years.. having a fund to fall back on relieves some stress and dependency on the current job..

one of my family members wanted me to keep the house, refinance and take out an HELOC but I didn't like that idea as much as taking my money off the table now while the getting is good.

Maybe the home value will continue to go up, but with rising interest rates maybe i'd have a harder time selling too.
You should talk to a CPA or investment advisor. Check credentials and references for the right person for you. Honestly? Right now everyone's chasing returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate