Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:10 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times

Advertisements

I'm selling the house and thoroughly decluttered all the rooms. My stuff is in boxes in the garage. The garage door has no lock and I'm thinking of getting a garage lock.

Do I have to allow prospective buyers access to my garage? I'd like to keep it locked up and my stuff out of sight. I'm too exhausted, busy and financially tapped out to move it and pay for storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:25 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Any prospective buyer will expect to see the garage. So what if they see it full of boxes--you're moving.

In my old neighborhood, if you had an unlocked garage full of stuff, you sure wouldn't have to worry about moving your stuff later.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:25 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I'm selling the house and thoroughly decluttered all the rooms. My stuff is in boxes in the garage. The garage door has no lock and I'm thinking of getting a garage lock.

Do I have to allow prospective buyers access to my garage? I'd like to keep it locked up and my stuff out of sight. I'm too exhausted, busy and financially tapped out to move it and pay for storage.
I can assure you that if I were a potential buyer and the seller locked me out of a room (including a garage or attached storage space), I'd be suspicious that something was being hidden. Water leak, cracks in walls or flooring, mold, etc. My imagination would run wild. Detached storage, like a shed, I'd be a less concerned. Detached garage - nope, I wanna see it.

good that you've decluttered. Put the boxes in the garage neatly preferably AWAY from the walls. And sweep the floors and cobwebs out of that garage.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
I decided to get the lock, leave it unlocked for showings and lock it at other times. My garage could still be broken into, but a lock makes it very difficult.

The garage will be very neat by the time I'm through with it. I don't like storing my things in dirty spaces.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Assuming that your agent uses a lock box, why don't you have an extra key made for the garage lock and have that in the lock box also?

If not that, leave the extra key on a key ring marked "Garage" in the house, perhaps on the kitchen counter. Have your agent include instructions in the MLS or with the showing service that the garage key will be on the kitchen counter. Ask that agents be reminded to lock it back up.

Seems simple enough.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:

You don't have to let them see it, but I wouldn't buy a home for $1 if they didn't let me look at the garage, I would think they were trying to hide something, I wouldn't care if it had boxes in it. A refusal to examine any part of a home is a red flag.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
I've known of many homes for sale over the years where there was a bedroom you couldn't enter because the husband slept during the day and worked nights (sometimes there was no one else home, just a note on the door), or they let buyers in but you couldn't see the baby's room because the baby was asleep or guests were concerned about having their room shown with all their things in it, or the dogs were in there for a couple of hours while the owner went out, etc. And the idea was always that if the buyer was very interested in the house, they could return at an agreeable time and the owners would make that room available.

The idea was never that the house would be sold without looking at that one last area...which I'm sure is what you mean too.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Unless you are not selling the garage. Any potential buyer will want to see what they are buying. If there is that much stuff, you may want to consider renting a storage facility.

When I was house hunting, there were house that I went to see where we were told not to enter the garage as they had their big dogs in there. That was a turn off for us and our agent.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
I'm home shopping right now.

The garage is the first thing I want to see. I have a project car, and misc tools and equipment and the garage layout is make or break for me.

So if I were interested in your house, i'd ask to see the garage before deciding to make an offer or not.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:12 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
I never realize how heated people got over not seeing a garage. Didn't hurt my sale at all when I kept my dogs and cats in the garage during open houses and had a sign on the door stating that there's pets inside and do not open door. Under the sign I had pictures of the garage. A standard 2 car garage. Nothing fancy, no storage, no appliances etc. Just a big square room.

Upon second viewings, I would put my pets in cages and allowed access to the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate