Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times

Advertisements

As a lender, I frequently see the FSBO disasters and can say they are far from my first choice transaction to market. I've seen sellers sign addendums without taking in the full impact of what was signed. Buyers do a bit better if I can get them before they negotiate the contract, but lately, they've come in after the contract is signed.

For the folks using attorneys, your experience will vary by the attorney's experience. Many of the real estate attorneys are transaction attorneys and not contract attorneys, and visa versa. Not much practical advice flows from that direction and both buyers and sellers learn by their wallet. Agents writing contracts as a service are great for the smooth transaction. For the not-so-smooth, look forward to paying attorney fees in lieu of commission to right any issues.

But, will those mistakes be more than the commission? Probably not. However, almost every sales price on a FSBO is below market value (based on how much higher the appraisals come in), many below by at least the amount of the agent's commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
As a lender, I frequently see the FSBO disasters and can say they are far from my first choice transaction to market. I've seen sellers sign addendums without taking in the full impact of what was signed. Buyers do a bit better if I can get them before they negotiate the contract, but lately, they've come in after the contract is signed.

For the folks using attorneys, your experience will vary by the attorney's experience. Many of the real estate attorneys are transaction attorneys and not contract attorneys, and visa versa. Not much practical advice flows from that direction and both buyers and sellers learn by their wallet. Agents writing contracts as a service are great for the smooth transaction. For the not-so-smooth, look forward to paying attorney fees in lieu of commission to right any issues.

But, will those mistakes be more than the commission? Probably not. However, almost every sales price on a FSBO is below market value (based on how much higher the appraisals come in), many below by at least the amount of the agent's commission.
Agreed. Not sure what folks are expecting from a $500 worth of attorney time.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
What great advice from everyone!

New buyers often 'think' they need a r.e. agent...but with the inspector and appraisal...
and friends looking the place over the r.e. attorney will be great.
But it's simple, say, It's $200, 000 without an agent ...it's 206,000 with...your choice!
(Or whatever price you pick.) And if it goes on the market...it'll be listed at 230,000.

Then, if they want one, oh well. Saves you the r.e. attorney paper work...let them handle the details. My opinion.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 AM

41 posts, read 48,379 times
The real estate contracts are standardized. In Illinois agents use the
Multi-Board Residential Real Estate Contract. Pretty simple.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 PM

56 posts, read 78,832 times
Thanks everyone!

BoBromhal - we haven't gotten that far. Our tenants, when they gave us their move out date, just asked us if we planned to sell and mentioned that several of their friends may be interested in buying if we did. Do I need to hire a real estate attorney, in addition to the title company's lawyer? Thanks!

Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM

56 posts, read 78,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

Good point. What is the best way to get an accurate appraisal? I've heard from someone else that appraisals by an appraiser can be off because they're looking at sale numbers in the area and not taking other factors into account (for example: your neighbor's house may have sold low because they were divorcing and just needed to unload it). I have a fairly good sense of what other houses around ours have sold for, and know what ours was priced at a year ago (when we had it on the market as a sale/rental and ended up renting it). Thanks.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:45 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Will you be doing a tax deferred exchange?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltbrevis View Post
Thanks everyone!

BoBromhal - we haven't gotten that far. Our tenants, when they gave us their move out date, just asked us if we planned to sell and mentioned that several of their friends may be interested in buying if we did. Do I need to hire a real estate attorney, in addition to the title company's lawyer? Thanks!
I'm sorry, but I couldn't tell you what the custom or requirement may be in the state the property is located.

A current appraisal under the indication it was specifically for a "market sale" will be the value the buyers' lender assigns to the home. Appraisers usually either know the conditions (divorce, and home condition) of surrounding sales, or they will ask the agents involved when there's an outlier (like you mention). If there are 3-5 good comps and one "fire sale", then they're going to rely on the 3-5 good comps.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:02 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mltbrevis View Post
[/b]

Good point. What is the best way to get an accurate appraisal? I've heard from someone else that appraisals by an appraiser can be off because they're looking at sale numbers in the area and not taking other factors into account (for example: your neighbor's house may have sold low because they were divorcing and just needed to unload it). I have a fairly good sense of what other houses around ours have sold for, and know what ours was priced at a year ago (when we had it on the market as a sale/rental and ended up renting it). Thanks.
Distress sales are considered in the comps. However, if it's an oddball, one of a kind, it may be dropped. However, if the distressed sale is the most recent and similar, its hard to exclude it without strong reasoning.

You (anyone) can order an appraisal before you sign a contract, but only your buyer's lender appraisal matters. The appraisal report is an opinion of value. Opinions can vary (as much as 10%, maybe a little more). Also, if there is a closing in the neighborhood between the time of your appraisal and the buyer's, that can change the buyer's appraised value.

Selling via FSBO is to save you a little money and the buyer to get a better deal. Where things go wonky is when one side tries to get the bigger piece of the pie. If it's a matter of there's a bottom line and nothing less is acceptable (potential short to payoff) or even close to that situation, you need to do some serious upfront work. Stats prove if you approach this by asking for max price and reduce as the home remains on the market, the final price will be lower had you priced it competitively to begin with. Take into account tenants don't like people coming in and out to look at the home, so you may have a vacant rental. And if you put someone in there as a pre-occupancy, you may wind up being an unintended landlord again.

I'm not discouraging you, but advising you to consider every angle before you commit to anything.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:04 PM

65 posts, read 98,579 times
My tenant found our buyer, it's her friend who used to be a neighbor who always loved our rental property. When our tenants gave notice she approached us to buy. We already had been talking to an agent who did our comps and so I told the buyer to get pre-approved and give me a call. I asked the agent if I could hire him as a non-agent facilitator to do the paperwork only and represent us both for 1% and he agreed. He owns the firm, so he has a little more wiggle room for negotiations. The buyer agreed we could work together without agents and we negotiated the price and terms and he wrote up the purchase and sale agreement and now we are just waiting until closing in 3 weeks. It will be our first sale and it's working out well so far. I would not sell the house myself if I didn't already have a serious buyer. I would want to make sure the person wanting to buy the house is super serious though. I told my agent I wanted to list the house a month before my tenants moved out, and she made a serious offer and signed the contract before then so we didn't list it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate