Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:12 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
I guess it's just me...I know when I want to look at houses I try to be accommodative and thoughtful of the other person. I'm also like this with any other business, I do not go into a business right as they are opening up because I realize the staff need to get settled just as the same as I do not go into a business 5 minutes before they close. I realize we live in a "me" society and that when it comes to sales anything goes to make a sale.

I appreciate the comments and you all are right- I want a sale and if this is when then this when.
Out here weekend showings start at 9am. Sometimes you will get an 8:30 request, but that is rare.

Considerate goes many ways. Sellers, buyers, and agents. Weekends are usually high demand times for agents so if they don't start until 10, it pushes their day out even longer, and means they might not be able to get a showing in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 03:19 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
You never really know the situation, what if the buyers had flown in from out of town and want to see your house before they catch a flight back at lunch on Sunday?

Once my house sells, I will be a buyer who will have to fly to another state to view houses and do so within a couple days before returning here. Depending on the time, some of my showings may not be able to be the most convenient times for the buyers.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:16 PM

146 posts, read 293,862 times
If the goal is to get the house sold there is no obnoxious time.

My house went on the market on a Thursday night. By Friday afternoon there were 3 showings booked for Saturday starting at 9am and another for Sunday at 9am. As the weekend progressed, we ended up having 12 showings over the weekend, some on very short notice. I told my agent it was like having a 48 hour long open house! I was in and out if the house all weekend, tidying things up between showings. BUT, we had an offer in hand Sunday afternoon and continued negotiations throughout Sunday evening. We finally sealed the deal at 10pm Sunday night!

What I did find obnoxious was the people that kept me waiting down the street and made themselves at home for 90 minutes. I could tell they used the bathroom, sat around the kitchen table and enjoyed the living room furniture. Then gave feedback that the house was not what they were looking for.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:25 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,050,126 times
I wouldn't have an issue with it if I was the seller. I would assume it was the only time the potential buyer had available, PLUS it would allow me more "prep" time to prepare for the showing ( the night before ). I would be annoyed if they were a "no show"

Old 08-07-2015, 11:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Obnoxious to whom? If it's okay with the buyer, the seller and the agent, why would it be obnoxious? I'm not an early riser so I would neither view a house then nor allow my house to be shown then except for a very good reason.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:40 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Does anyone else feel that 9AM on a Sunday is an obnoxious time to show a house?? It almost seems rude to me.
Go enjoy breakfast and maybe get your house sold....

Old 08-08-2015, 07:25 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
Thanks for all the comments- you all made me understand this but yes I will not be happy if this is a no show. Selling a house is a miserable experience unless of course your house sells immediately. I just want a contract so the showings will cease and I can move on to the next step.
Just frustrating when the house shows well and some agents have said house is priced fair & others say over-priced given the issues the house has & yet no offer's. I've discovered that pricing is a mere guessing game and you fumble your way along to discover where the market it.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:34 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I like vacant houses, as a listing agent or as a buyers' agent, and as a seller or as a buyer.

These questions just never arise.
After unsuccessfully trying to sell my house for 4 months while I was living in it, back in 2010, this year I tried again and decided to move OUT while it was for sale. I moved out on July 1st, had it professionally cleaned, put it on the market empty and clean, and half a week later it was under contract. Quick and easy, and I never had to change my plans to show my house.

I was worried that it might seem too bleak, plain, and sterile that way but it worked. Maybe it was the market? Or maybe it was because it was empty. Anyway, it was wonderful to not have to live in a showplace for months.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:24 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
My house "shows well" because of the furnishings- this house has to be staged. After my experience of someone leaving my bathroom faucet on after a showing I would still need to be near by to check on the house after showings. I'm wanting to move to another state so the only thing holding this up is selling this house. Got another showing tomorrow from 12-12:15 (a much more reasonable time) so hopefully it will be "the one" for whoever is looking.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:33 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
I guess it's just me...I know when I want to look at houses I try to be accommodative and thoughtful of the other person. I'm also like this with any other business, I do not go into a business right as they are opening up because I realize the staff need to get settled just as the same as I do not go into a business 5 minutes before they close. I realize we live in a "me" society and that when it comes to sales anything goes to make a sale.

I appreciate the comments and you all are right- I want a sale and if this is when then this when.
they asked for an appointment 2 whole days before, so the answer is NO. As others have noted, if 9 am Sunday is truly inconvenient for you, then decline it and ask for a them to come back at a later time.

The idea that you wouldn't enter a business until either after they've been opened a certain period of time is laughable - the employees have been there more than 5 minutes. Not wanting to "hold them late" - that I get and it's quite kind of you. I try to do the same, but remember, they are their to serve you. And what takes an hour anywhere with posted hours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate