Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times

Advertisements

Hey Millie.

I am a would-be buyer in your market area and price range. Your question was "why not," correct?

Here is my quick list of why not a second glance. Just my opin, as would be (not) buyer, and no sort of professional, real, imaginary, or online.

The Listing:

First sentence -- "An exquisite home in the prestigious gated community of Mission Ridge"

What I am reading -- two lines of bs right upfront -- exquisite? prestigious? Yeah, like Gold Rims on an old Buick. Just be real or I will pass you by.

Gated community? Not a good thing in my pass-by reading. First thing I think is -- what is wrong with the area that they are gating the street?

I see heated spa, hot tub and pool . . . I am thinking -- Utility Hog. Would I be paying as much in Utility Bills as House Payment? If it said "Solar Heated," I would saying "oh yeah."

Age: 21 year(s) old -- Again, what about those Utility Bills?

Approximate lot is 0.24 [acres] Sorry, but for the price, I get a lot more house, and way more playground.

Dunno about the school district, but if it is not rated Exemplary across the board, (again, mho) you do not have a prayer.

And not to be petty, but while the real estate folks may be nice folks, that picture is no favor to anyone. Dunno why realtors do that.

Sorry, but you were really asking, right? And I did not think folks were really being straight with you.

If I were where you sit, I am thinking way closer to $200K or less, and maybe drop the realtors -- for sale by owner, or whatever. We shop there, too. At least that will save you something like $18,000 or something?

Again, this is just my point view as someone shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 04:35 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,606,430 times
Now I knew you were having a laugh when I got to the bit about 200K - thats really funny. Where do you live ?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Now I knew you were having a laugh when I got to the bit about 200K - thats really funny. Where do you live ?
Naw, that is the sad part. I am being real with you. But you are correct, in my realm I do get away with being more than a little odd in presentation and demeanor.

We are in Dallas, now, shopping Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio markets.

The key trade-off on our search is the schools. If (and only if) you are sitting in a very top rated school area (not a "good enough, not a Texas Monthly rating based on the SES "curve," but a real geniune top rated District) can you hold on a top price and manage to sell -- again that is just mho, and what I am seeing.

Does that not match your own experience?

The trade down on the price equates to sending the kids to private school. It is just numbers and math. How I see the world being an enginerd type. But so do most folks with some money to spend and kids. That condition applies all across Texas because so many of the average schools here are so below average in national standards.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 PM

The school district is very good NEISD, High school is excellent which is the reason we moved here.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Sorry, but hit the search on the district rating -- came up

Accountability Rating: Recognized

for the district.

Is that not correct? Not trying to be hard on you, but Good Enough is not good enough anymore.

Meanwhile, your particular school within the district does well -- (we are looking at munchin level)

Hidden Forest Elementary
Accountability Rating: Exemplary

But from what I am seeing -- to hit the money, it has to be the district, itself have the Exemplary rating.

If you have that, you can move a house, easy, at full price. Other than that condition -- things are what they are.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:22 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,191 times
Gee I don't know what homes sell for in Texas, but Millie has 3,000 sq feet for what, a little over $300,000? That wont get you anything decent most other places..at least in the west.

Philip I hope you find the perfect house in the perfect district...and having worked at a high school and know the inner workings of my district, you can have the highest rated schools, and still somethings go wrong... jmho... Good luck to you both...

Old 02-03-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Gee I don't know what homes sell for in Texas, but Millie has 3,000 sq feet for what, a little over $300,000? That wont get you anything decent most other places..at least in the west.

Philip I hope you find the perfect house in the perfect district...and having worked at a high school and know the inner workings of my district, you can have the highest rated schools, and still somethings go wrong... jmho... Good luck to you both...
Oh, sure I am painfully familiar with the Texas Education (or lack of) game. Even some of the high dollar top rated districts have been involved in cheating to get the rating -- because as is the side topic here -- it is SO important to premium property values and all that go with that.

It is sort of funny when you go North and are property shopping -- folks do not really even understand what you are talking about in terms of school districts because those states are in general in the upper tier of standings. So on average the average school is pretty good. But down on the bottom -- where Texas stays (along with Mississippi, etc.) the average are MUCH lower. So the ones on the bottom down here are gawd awful.

All of that creates and keeps the demand for the premium product in public schools. As far as specific numbers, you must have noticed the SEVERE drops in prices "in the West" and especially in California. $500,000 now going for under $300,000. Texas did not the hard run up like CA, so our fall is not so great. However, the market is soft nationwide, and the only places going solid here are ones tied to good school districts.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:36 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Oh, sure I am painfully familiar with the Texas Education (or lack of) game. Even some of the high dollar top rated districts have been involved in cheating to get the rating -- because as is the side topic here -- it is SO important to premium property values and all that go with that.

It is sort of funny when you go North and are property shopping -- folks do not really even understand what you are talking about in terms of school districts because those states are in general in the upper tier of standings. So on average the average school is pretty good. But down on the bottom -- where Texas stays (along with Mississippi, etc.) the average are MUCH lower. So the ones on the bottom down here are gawd awful.

All of that creates and keeps the demand for the premium product in public schools. As far as specific numbers, you must have noticed the SEVERE drops in prices "in the West" and especially in California. $500,000 now going for under $300,000. Texas did not the hard run up like CA, so our fall is not so great. However, the market is soft nationwide, and the only places going solid here are ones tied to good school districts.
SEVERE...hmmm depends on where you are in California, I guess...yes there has been a drop in prices in some areas...others are holding their own..its a big state and very diverse...norcal..socal...I think that wherever you live your property value is tied to your county and your school district, even with the price adjusting thats going on. Good luck in your search..

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 AM

237 posts, read 967,857 times
Please 200,000 for a 3000 sq foot house. I dont know where your going to find that. Good Luck!!. I think her price is fair. Its a real nice house. People want you to give your houses away today. Mindy

Old 02-04-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Sorry, but hit the search on the district rating -- came up

Accountability Rating: Recognized

for the district.

Is that not correct? Not trying to be hard on you, but Good Enough is not good enough anymore.

Meanwhile, your particular school within the district does well -- (we are looking at munchin level)

Hidden Forest Elementary
Accountability Rating: Exemplary

But from what I am seeing -- to hit the money, it has to be the district, itself have the Exemplary rating.

If you have that, you can move a house, easy, at full price. Other than that condition -- things are what they are.
Good luck in finding the perfect house for the perfect price in the perfect area, let us all know where it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate