Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:06 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times

Advertisements

Heck, get the local humane society to catch them. Everyone will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,950 times
Was going to suggest they provide the photos of the cats or you photo the cats seen outside May not belong to anyone in the community just strays roaming. You could of course show them pictures of your cats or have police come and verify the appearance of your cats. Tell them the story and that your being falsly accused with the threat of HOA fines. KAB0906had another good suggestion call animal control or suggest to HOA they should do it. Just saw this past week Chicago has 54000 stray cats roaming the city.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
I once had a neighbor who complained my cats were in his yard, which was impossible as those cats had NEVER been outside. Turns out every time he thought he saw them, he didn't have his glasses on and there were raccoons in his back yard

Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,943,169 times
I would simply send a certified letter to the HOA stating that I do not owe any fines as the roaming cats are not mine. I'd keep it short and sweet. I'd also read up on the CCR's and state/county laws pertaining to HOAs.

I'd also suggest they call the local animal control as they will put out humane traps to round up the cats.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,801,198 times
I am laughing over here......sorry to hear of your continuing cat whoas but this is too sweet. Why anyone promotes an HOA is beyond me. Trade your sense of individuality and mobility even your ability to do what you want for what is rightfully yours for a fluid and fleeting property value is insanity. Oh and you pay someone to do this to you.......beyond moronic!

Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Based on this thread, and others, I foresee the day when the cheapest houses available will be located in HOA communities.

Retiring in Tucson, next year, I'm already planning on forgoing an HOA townhouse complex, and the $150-$250 monthly dues, will be spent on making my single family home as secure as Ft. Knox!

I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:07 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
The Ugly HOA Cliques strike again!

The letter from an attorney, the certified letter from you, and the animal control officer all make sense.

Whatever you do, DON'T call the police!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:23 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
Help! I have an issue with HOA. A week ago they told me to keep my outdoor cats inside because neighbor was complaining. Since then both my cats have been inside. But we have other people's cats roaming around. And the HOA woman keep calling me saying to remove MY cats from outside, I told her I keep them in, and she said no, the neighbor saw MY cats on their yard. It's impossible! They both have been locked up in the house!
Can HOA legally fine me for something I didn't do? Do I need to hire a lawyer if HOA fines me for other people cats or should I just pay somebody's else fine? Is there a way to prove that my animals are INDOOR only? I told the woman she can come to my house anytime and check if they are inside, because they have been inside since the day I received the letter from HOA. But she seem doesn't hear me and said I'd have to pay a fine!!!
This is annoying! And if I have to go to court because of that??? I don't wanna pay $$$ for something I didn't do (they told me to keep the cats in, and I have been!). What do I do?
The HOA has a fiduciary duty to treat all homeowners equally. Therefore, if the HOA tells you to keep your cats inside then they must tell all homeowners with cats to keep them inside.

If you have a reasonable relationship with one or more Board members then I would start there.

However, if you want to get ahead of this and if the Board are not going to be reasonable - and you may need to check state law on this - then I would send a certified letter to the HOA, state that you have complied with their request to keep your cats indoors, point out that other homeowners allow their cats outside, that you are making a formal complaint about those cats and that you expect the HOA to apply the same standard to all homeowners that was applied to you.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The HOA has a fiduciary duty to treat all homeowners equally. Therefore, if the HOA tells you to keep your cats inside then they must tell all homeowners with cats to keep them inside.

If you have a reasonable relationship with one or more Board members then I would start there.

However, if you want to get ahead of this and if the Board are not going to be reasonable - and you may need to check state law on this - then I would send a certified letter to the HOA, state that you have complied with their request to keep your cats indoors, point out that other homeowners allow their cats outside, that you are making a formal complaint about those cats and that you expect the HOA to apply the same standard to all homeowners that was applied to you.
Her problem is that there doesn't seem to BE a board yet, the HOA appears to be run by the developer because the development isn't built out yet. And the developer isn't about to do anything except keep the place as neat as possible until all the profit is made.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 AM

234 posts, read 328,103 times
Thank you so much for your valuable advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate