Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:28 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times

Advertisements

Ok there seems to be some confusion here on what different houses are. Here is a little graphical help for those that need assistance:

Suburban Home

https://www.google.com/search?q=McMa...D09A9Rdn8JM%3A

McMansion

https://www.google.com/search?q=McMa...QkIKxA61IpM%3A

Mansion

https://www.google.com/search?q=McMa...qFtKEqP5jzM%3A

Palace

https://www.google.com/search?q=McMa...ZHzxSV6n7zM%3A

You'll never be this rich

https://www.google.com/search?q=McMa...3wiYaOJkSfM%3A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 12:20 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
A weird feature you can see in the McMansion example above and in a lot of new construction in real life is that the garage seems to be the prominent reason for the structure. It looks like a garage with a big attached house, not a house that has an attached garage.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I just wanted to mention, having lived in a big house/small lot for 10 years and selling it, I'd rather a big house and a large lot. That being on top of your neighbor thing gets old. A half acre is just about right - not too much to handle, yet neighbors are at a distance in all directions.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:05 PM

25 posts, read 47,096 times
Never mind the derogatory undertone of the word "McMansion" ...

I personally like the look of most McMansions -- I tend like the architecture style usually associated with McMansions (and those of smaller mansions/houses). Generally speaking, I also like the fact that those who own McMansions can afford to keep the grounds in pristine shape and usually takes care of the place. Pride in ownership (whether it's a McMansion or a small house) is always a great thing in my book.

I won't ever buy a McMansion because well, I can't afford one . Even if cost is not a consideration, I think I would be more than satisfied with just a bigger house. No mansion or McMansion for me.

Let's just say during my many travels, I've visited enough mansions, palaces, castles, old historical homes to know that I don't want to visit yet another (let alone live in one). No kidding. In my mind, they are huge for one person (and I don't have kids). I also don't have huge families, so I'd personally find it very eerie to live in a large place like that. Bump in the night, that sort of thing.

Ahem, on a more serious note, I don't think anyone could pay me to live in a mansion. I'd feel super weird about it, like do I really need such a big place for one or for a few people? It's not a criticism towards those who prefers it that way -- it's just not the lifestyle/taste/preference that I want for myself. No surprise there - real estate appeals different people for different reasons. To each his/her own.

So yeah, I like McMansions but I wouldn't personally want one, or want to live in one. They are "nice to look at", but not to keep kind of thing.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I'm the same way. I live in a 942-square-foot condo. It suits me fine. As much as I do not like the McMansion fad, I have been inside a couple of them and the living space was just beautiful. I am fine with people having more than I do materially, lol. As a matter of fact, a couple of years ago I attended a holiday party at a house like that. The wife is a lawyer, the husband a doctor. The basement was like a theater and game room. The kitchen was huge and gorgeous and they had the party catered with wonderful food. But I know the wife struggles terribly with her alcoholism, and all the money she's got won't buy sobriety.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:13 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The people that you see complain about McMansions, do so for one reason. They simply cannot afford one, and complain about those that can. They also complain about big expensive cars, etc., etc.
Ha, so not even close to correct. Some people have aesthetic preferences regardless of whether they can afford something or not. I can afford to buy a Thomas Kinkade print, doesn't stop me from thinking it's hideous.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:46 AM

49 posts, read 46,620 times
Thought I'd give share an experience I had with you guys today, some of you might find it interesting.

My dad and I drove through this backwoods neighborhood today that was meant to look very prestigious.

It had the guard tower with the 2 gates that were both opened, but you could tell that they had not operated in a very long time.

Anyway, we get into this neighborhood and IT. IS. BIZARRE. Very remote, normal-ish sized homes, probably around 4,000 sq ft. This ultra shoddy canopy that covered a bridge on the road that looked like it was about to fall apart, the road was also replete with potholes. Bad ones, at that.

We get to the end of the road and had to turn around, but one of the homes was this massive mansion and directly to it's right hand side ....(Keep in mind, wooded area but you could still clearly see the homes before turning around... didn't want to enter their property).... was this gorgeous brick house that had just been completely abandoned.

It was sad because I know that if I wanted to buy a house in this neighborhood when it first opened, it would seem like HEAVEN. Big, WIDE private roads, a nice private covered bridge.

It is literally almost as if it has been forgotten. The tip off was the shape of the gated entrance.

From what I've heard, Joan Rivers used to live in the neighborhood.

I'd give the address out on here (Not of the houses but the neighborhood) to see if anyone wants to view it.

I just stumbled upon it and was awestruck at how nice the homes were and how they've let the neighborhood crumble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate