Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
My understanding of McMansions are that they're relatively big houses, but are built out of few differing floorplans, meaning your house ends up looking like every other house in the block. They tend to be relatively poorly constructed, since they're put up in a hurry, and they have tiny yards.

I can't stand them.

TV show Weeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 12:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
https://www.redfin.com/NY/Atlantic-B.../home/20254438#!

Here is a nice 626 square foot house for sale. Plenty big for most folk.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:13 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
They are unusually large homes on small lots. Usually for the people who really can't afford a real mansion. Somewhat like the baby Benz. It's for people who must have a Mercedes but can only afford the bottom of the line.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
https://www.redfin.com/NY/Atlantic-B.../home/20254438#!

Here is a nice 626 square foot house for sale. Plenty big for most folk.
I know this isn't why you posted this, but that one needs to be submitted some Bad Real Estate photos site. Some sideways pictures and that is so dark you just see some blurry squares of window.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:06 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
With infinite resources, I'd be happy living in a large, well-built home with all the amenities. I wouldn't be happy in a McMansion where the house has fiberglass tubs, vinyl flooring, builder grade fixtures, laminate kitchen countertops, builder grade appliances, etc.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:19 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

My problem in looking for a new house is finding one small enough. I don't want a lot of square feet to have to vacuum and dust, pay to air condition and heat, not to mention the added cost when I need a new roof. Often the smaller houses are tacky. I'm still hopeful I can find a cottage-like smaller house that is cute in architecture....and has what is most important: LAND (the only thing that lasts, according to Scarlett O'Hara's father).
^^^This! This is exactly what I want as well, but they are very hard to find around here, unless you go really far out and have to deal with nearly an hour commute just to get to the suburbs, let alone the city. Even then, they're hard to find. The newer houses around here have small lots and big houses. I'd rather have a smaller house (for the same reasons you listed) with a bigger lot where I'm not on top of my neighbors. I don't know that it is possible to find a well-built smallish (under 2000 sq ft) one-story house in any of the new neighborhoods here on a lot that is at least 12,000 sq ft minimum.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:22 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
With infinite resources, I'd be happy living in a large, well-built home with all the amenities. I wouldn't be happy in a McMansion where the house has fiberglass tubs, vinyl flooring, builder grade fixtures, laminate kitchen countertops, builder grade appliances, etc.
I actually wish my tub WAS fiberglass. Easy to clean and functional, instead of yucky marble.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:09 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,963,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The homes that I have seen that would qualify as McMansions typically have nicer features - real hardwood floors that are not pre-finished, high end (or higher end) appliances and fixtures, marble or high end tile showers, large walk-in closets, granite countertops, etc. And, they typically have requirements that each phase or section or street in the subdivision can only have 1, 2 or 3 homes with a similar exterior color, and if House X chooses grey siding, then the houses on either side of it cannot also be grey.

Of course, I haven't been everywhere and seen everything. If I wanted every home looking exactly alike, I'd buy a condo, but I'm sure there are plenty of homes out there like that.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:14 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
Here in Los Angeles, at least, homeowners in established neighborhoods of mostly smaller older homes typically object to the "mansionization" trend because they feel that these homes are robbing the neighborhood of it's character. A number of jurisdictions have succeeded in passing laws which prevent such construction. However, I believe that if the architecture is tasteful these "McMansions" can add new vitality to an old neighborhood. As for why people like them, it's simple. They are big, beautiful and brand new! No worries about the plumbing or major systems going bad and causing costly repairs. Plus, people are beginning to appreciate the many energy efficient LEEDS building standards which are incorporated into these homes. They incorporate features that people like such as wide-plank flooring, whole house internet wiring, security systems, wine closets and energy efficient appliances. As for the "poor construction quality", I have news for you. I have appraised hundreds of homes and condos in mid-construction. Everything from condo projects in the Valley to custom homes in Bel Air. When it comes to the construction of the home itself, IT'S ALL THE SAME GUYS. They go from one project to the next. The differences are in the finish work only. I always chuckle when I think of the Beverly Hills matron lounging in her $ 15,000 jacuzzi tub who does not know that within the marble "box" that the the tub sits in are soda cans, McDonalds bags and more, all left behind by the "custom builder".

Old 10-30-2015, 03:39 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I actually wish my tub WAS fiberglass. Easy to clean and functional, instead of yucky marble.
I like enamel over cast iron. The iron keeps the water hot for much longer.

The contractor tried to talk me into getting a new kitchen sink when I got new countertops. I had/have white enamel over cast iron. I wouldn't have anything else. Besides, like I'm going to throw out a perfectly good nice sink and replace it with a SS sink? We really have become a throwaway society, haven't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate