Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:26 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times

Advertisements

What a ridiculous question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:50 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,253,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a ridiculous question.
What is ridiculous about it?

Old 12-18-2015, 12:05 AM

509 posts, read 908,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
What is ridiculous about it?
It is ridiculous because anyone over the age of adolescence with at least an average intellect knows the answer to this, and can surmise the many reasons for it.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:24 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,116,362 times
Yes we just bought into a neighborhood and we already see in 10 yrs we will be done with it because of all the riff raff around the corner that we did not see . One neighbor on one side of us is a renter and the other owns her home but still not that friendly at all and I'm really not okay with that but I'm stuck here now so that's that until we see where we are at in ten years . I think I will be ready for a condo at that point , small yard . We have a 1/4 acre yard now which helped sell this house at that point . but now we are thinking probably will not want to be taking care of this place in our 60s . bottom line yep we will have the house in tip top shape when we do sell and be done with it .Good luck to you whoever mentioned selling their house.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:41 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,667,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Charm Style View Post
IN GENERAL if I bought a home in a lower middle class neighborhood would I expect neighbors to be worse than a middle class or upper middle class area? I can buy a nicer home in these areas for the money but wonder if there would be more crime, noise, etc.

Again I am talking about a lower middle class neighborhood, not a ghetto.
I fell for the "first house". "working class neighborhood" thing for my first house in PA. I did the usual stuff, parked on the street and observed a few times, but not long enough. Didn't check municipal laws either, about parking. I last 11 months and we had it back on the market. It was horrible. Like a different episode of COPS going on outside of every window. "Working class neighborhoods" are going to give you more negative quality of life issues. Thats just the way it is. Im sure 10 people will say they are awesome, but I still stand by what I said.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:13 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,253,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida7 View Post
It is ridiculous because anyone over the age of adolescence with at least an average intellect knows the answer to this, and can surmise the many reasons for it.
How nice of you to insult the OP.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:16 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,737,091 times
Yes. Our first home here was in a lower class/working class neighborhood, because that's what we could afford. It was actually okay when we first moved in, in 2005, but by the end of 2006, it was going downhill fast. The property values plummeted (we lost 2/3 of our home's equity) and the lawns grew higher and were getting filled with junk cars. There was a drug bust on our street at 4:00 one morning, car break-ins, shady people hanging around.

We now live in a quiet middle-class neighborhood. We have one set of shady neighbors (young 20-somethings who have a lot of coming and going and moving-in and moving-out happening), but the rest are all nice, either quiet families or older retired people. I feel quite safe walking outdoors at night; I'm more afraid of running into a coyote than I am of running into an unfriendly neighbor. It's an underdeveloped area, and I like it that way. Trees make the best neighbors anyway.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,631,345 times
Depends.
There can be shadiness in more affluent neighborhoods too. There are too many variables in play to easily judge without knowing more.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:35 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,512,040 times
I would try to get a home in the best neighborhood you can. I think it is best to have the cheapest house in the neighborhood - we live in one where most of our neighbors are richer than us - its good that way

Old 12-18-2015, 10:17 AM

726 posts, read 1,230,666 times
If there are renters in said neighborhood YES! That makes all the difference, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate