Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:44 AM

59 posts, read 85,805 times

Advertisements

I am going to put up my single family home on the market in Spring. I will use a flat fee MLS. Is a 1% Buyer's reasonable? The home will probably sell for $500K for $5000 buyer's agent commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 11:50 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Sure it's reasonable if you plan on never selling your house.

No, I'm not a realtor. But I am a big fan of GOOD Realtors.

I use professionals to do work and perform services for me that I do not have the expertise or qualifications to do myself. That includes hiring dentists, electricians, doctors, car mechanics, attorneys and Realtors. I hire them, and I pay them.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
That $5,000 is not the buyer's agent's commission. That is the commission that is split between the buyer and their broker.

Most buyers with agents have a buyer's representation agreement with their buyer that usually specifies how much the buyer's agent will be paid, and here, at least, it specifies that the broker (who receives the commission and then splits it with the agent) will look to the seller/seller's agent first for that commission, and if it's not paid by them (usually in the case of a FSBO who is not willing to pay the buyer's commission), they will look to the buyer for that amount. Buyer's agents might show your house, but their fiduciary responsibility to their client means they are legally required to inform the client that you are paying less and therefore the buyer will have to come up with the rest, per the agreement.

This results in a buyer who is going to look at what they will owe in commission to the buyer's agent and will, quite reasonably, adjust their offer to the seller accordingly. Or, more often, a buyer who will decide just not to look at the house.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:26 PM

983 posts, read 1,182,171 times
Give it a try if you are curious .... who knows maybe it works out for you ??

However, if you truly want to SELL YOUR HOME for top dollar ... I would not entertain such an idea like that.

And no I am not an RE agent. But I do know their value when it comes to a RE transaction.

Don't step over twenty dollar bills to pick up nickels.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:28 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Because you feel the Buyer should pay their own agent?

Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM

89 posts, read 116,398 times
2.4% is typical, your looking to cut that by 58.4% to 1%. To give you an idea on a FSBO I'd ask for 3% as more work is always done on my end for the client and typically the seller to get the transaction completed. If I have buyer agency my client would be on the hook for the other 1.4% to buy your house. Not a good idea.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:52 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GocubsGo15 View Post
I am going to put up my single family home on the market in Spring. I will use a flat fee MLS. Is a 1% Buyer's reasonable? The home will probably sell for $500K for $5000 buyer's agent commission.

Offer what you want. If the agent doesn't like the compensation you are offering, they can have their buyer pay the difference, except for VA clients.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:39 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TosaJoe View Post
2.4% is typical, your looking to cut that by 58.4% to 1%. To give you an idea on a FSBO I'd ask for 3% as more work is always done on my end for the client and typically the seller to get the transaction completed. If I have buyer agency my client would be on the hook for the other 1.4% to buy your house. Not a good idea.
You should always specify "in my area" because 2.4% is NOT typical in my area, and even a fee of that will get someone's house not shown because the buyer doesn't want to pay the agent the difference. Yes, fees are negotiable, but a buyer agrees to a fee and in my area, it's more than 2.4% and it's more than 2.9%.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:58 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Where the commission split to buyer broker is listed in your mls listings, see what the standard percentage says. Is your area such that 1% CS (commission split) gets shown or shown much. Busy areas, some will purposely avoid it.

Realize that 1% to the buyer's agent is split in some way with their office usually. Sometimes, like with many Remax offices, the agent pays a monthly fee instead of a percentage of all their commissions.

Keep us updated.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:52 PM

89 posts, read 116,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You should always specify "in my area" because 2.4% is NOT typical in my area, and even a fee of that will get someone's house not shown because the buyer doesn't want to pay the agent the difference. Yes, fees are negotiable, but a buyer agrees to a fee and in my area, it's more than 2.4% and it's more than 2.9%.
In my area. Feel better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate