Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 03:55 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the LA area and our real estate agent has informed us that people in that area usually submit financial documentation along with the offer to purchase.
We bought homes in 4 different states before and never had to do that. We have letters that we are pre-qualified by two lenders but he says that is not sufficient. He says we need bank statements showing we have the money for the down-payment and pay-stubs. We are putting 20% down and are OK showing the bank statements but not the pay-stubs. Anybody dealt with this type of situation? Are this documents covered by any type of confidentiality?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 04:05 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Submit what you are comfortable with and a introduction letter telling the seller why this will be the perfect home for you.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:55 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Seller is unlikely to balk if you only submit pre-qualified letters and a letter from your bank stating that you have the cash amount for the down payment. Sellers just want to know where the money is coming from to pay for the house. They want to see proof that you've got the money and are not wasting their time. They don't really care where you work or what you make, as long as the bank is OK with it.

Last thing I would ever do when trying to negotiate a price for a house is to let the seller know exactly how much money I have.

If you are asking the seller to carry paper, then that is different. They will rake you over the financial coals. But if the bank is paying for the house and the sellers walk away with the money and are done with the house, all they want is reassurance that you can close.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Submit what you are comfortable with and a introduction letter telling the seller why this will be the perfect home for you.
Would sellers want such a thing?. When I sold my previous homes I didn't want to picture other people living in my home.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Seller is unlikely to balk if you only submit pre-qualified letters and a letter from your bank stating that you have the cash amount for the down payment. Sellers just want to know where the money is coming from to pay for the house. They want to see proof that you've got the money and are not wasting their time. They don't really care where you work or what you make, as long as the bank is OK with it.

Last thing I would ever do when trying to negotiate a price for a house is to let the seller know exactly how much money I have.

If you are asking the seller to carry paper, then that is different. They will rake you over the financial coals. But if the bank is paying for the house and the sellers walk away with the money and are done with the house, all they want is reassurance that you can close.
That is what I thought. I wonder how much of that is the real estate agents idea.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:04 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Don't let the other side know how much money you have. That's none of their business.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Don't let the other side know how much money you have. That's none of their business.
Apparently that is not the way they do it in LA. They must have had so many house sales fall through due to financing.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:55 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Apparently that is not the way they do it in LA. They must have had so many house sales fall through due to financing.
You are making an assumption that what your realtor is telling you is completely accurate and truthful. I'm a big fan of Realtors, but I wouldn't accept his/her word so easily.

Maybe call another realtor or two and confirm. Maybe post this questiin on the CD board that covers Sacramento.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Would sellers want such a thing?. When I sold my previous homes I didn't want to picture other people living in my home.
Yeah, I've never really understood this either. When a relative sold his home recently (multiple offers over asking) the successful bidder included a letter talking about how the grandchildren would love it, they had been searching so long for the perfect house, etc. Huh? It was kind of embarrassing -- TMI -- the thing that got them the house was their 10% over asking, all cash bid.

So I don't understand the personal letters -- do they really influence sellers?

Old 12-26-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You are making an assumption that what your realtor is telling you is completely accurate and truthful. I'm a big fan of Realtors, but I wouldn't accept his/her word so easily.

Maybe call another realtor or two and confirm. Maybe post this questiin on the CD board that covers Sacramento.
We are relocating to LA and we heard from other sources that it was common to give more financial information in order to make an offer. I just didn't expect it to be a paystub. In the past we had never supplied anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate