Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 12:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
How is that colonial? Where are the rounded columns on the front porch? In the older part of town in my market, which is only a handful of streets, that picture is not representative... You would need a covered front porch and columns. But that's just how each market is different.
What you're describing is a Georgian Colonial, aka Federal. But I note that you're in Austin, which means that any house fitting that description is a modern interpretation. In New England, a Colonial could actually be a period home dating from the seventeenth century, and, if so, that's very close to how it would appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 12:14 PM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Today, while I was perusing real estate listings, I noticed once again that many agents don't seem to have even a basic grasp of the major architectural styles. This time it was a Cottage Revival described as a Cape Cod. Am I expecting too much when assuming that agents know enough to identify a Victorian, a Tudor, an American Foursquare, a mid-Century Modern, and a Colonial?
Maybe, but I'm not sure it really matters that much. A 1.5-story house with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath is still a 1.5-story house with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, whether it's described as a Tudor or a Cape Cod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The same thing with having a 1.5 story old house with rooms upstairs. They are listed as one story, but then would you look at the pics there is a finished room or two upstairs with original stairs going up there.
That may depend on local custom and code. My previous home was a 1.5-story Cape Cod (called a bungalow in some markets, so there's another issue), one bedroom down and two up. According to the county, my house had three bedrooms, but legally was considered a one-story home with 780 square feet. But actually, it was 1.5 stories with 1080 square feet. I don't know the reasoning behind that, despite conversations with the county auditor on the topic. Because he didn't know, either, beyond "that's the way we do it".

Old 01-01-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Maybe, but I'm not sure it really matters that much. A 1.5-story house with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath is still a 1.5-story house with 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, whether it's described as a Tudor or a Cape Cod.

That may depend on local custom and code. My previous home was a 1.5-story Cape Cod (called a bungalow in some markets, so there's another issue), one bedroom down and two up. According to the county, my house had three bedrooms, but legally was considered a one-story home with 780 square feet. But actually, it was 1.5 stories with 1080 square feet. I don't know the reasoning behind that, despite conversations with the county auditor on the topic. Because he didn't know, either, beyond "that's the way we do it".
It doesn't matter much in the large scheme of things, except maybe to house geeks like me, but Cape Cods are low-slung, wide, 1-1/2 story homes with only two gable ends and a central doorway without a covered porch. The original Cape Cods are from Colonial period Massachusetts, thus the name Cape Cod. Cape Cod Revivals built in this century sometimes included dormers to bring light into the upstairs bedrooms and a bit of ornamentation, but they are typically very plain and symmetrical. Friends of mine lived in a brick Cape Cod Revival in Green Hills, Ohio (Cincinnati). They can be found in all over the U.S. in suburbs built between 1930-50.

The house I was referring to was built in 1923, which coincides with the peak of the romantic Cottage Revival movement. Unlike the Cape Cod, even very small Cottage Revival homes have complicated rooflines with mutiple gable ends and very steeply pitched roofs. They are completely asymmetrical and have a storybook look. Doorways are often arched and are sometimes surrounded by stone. Some of the most beautiful Cottage Revival homes I've ever seen are in Carmel, California. Many of them have hand-carved wood shingles on the roof with undulating lines and rolled edges to resemble thatch. I call them Hansel & Gretel homes.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-01-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 12:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
I frequently get a kick out of what realtors call the style of homes. I took historic architecture classes in college....I looooove historic homes. Love when a cape is called a colonial. Many new houses are labeled as colonials when there is NOTHING colonial about them except that they are 2 stories.....that's the only thing they have in common.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:49 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What you're describing is a Georgian Colonial, aka Federal. But I note that you're in Austin, which means that any house fitting that description is a modern interpretation. In New England, a Colonial could actually be a period home dating from the seventeenth century, and, if so, that's very close to how it would appear.
Thank you. Every part of the country has it's version of a colonial. What I posted is the traditional New England style which although very simple was actually a sign of prosperity in the 1700's. Having columns and other features would have been considered an affront to their simple Puritanical roots. In fact, those fancy clapboards on the front were a statement of frugality - the sides and back were shod in cheaper shingles.

Here in MA, today's colonials would be considered garish to those folks:

BTW, 1/2 acre lot on a main road, $890K, replaces a tear down ranch bought for $313K.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:50 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
A four square is a type of colonial but not all colonials are four squares. Just like gambrels, garrisons, et al - all types of colonials but not the traditional definition.

If someone told me they lived in a colonial here in MA, I think of this:

Center entry, fireplace up through the middle of the house, simple granite steps, very little ornamentation.
We have so many of these built in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. We call them "Five, Four and a Door."

Old 01-01-2016, 12:51 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Thank you. Every part of the country has it's version of a colonial. What I posted is the traditional New England style which although very simple was actually a sign of prosperity in the 1700's. Having columns and other features would have been considered an affront to their simple Puritanical roots. In fact, those fancy clapboards on the front were a statement of frugality - the sides and back were shod in cheaper shingles.

Here in MA, today's colonials would be considered garish to those folks:

BTW, 1/2 acre lot on a main road, $890K, replaces a tear down ranch bought for $313K.
That is a "Transitional." The name mimics the style. Transition between multiple styles.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:58 PM

I would argue that a Foursquare is not a Colonial at all. It was a housing style dating from the post-Victorian period and aligned with Prairie School architecture and the Arts & Crafts movement. (Think Frank Lloyd Wright, Mission furniture, and Tiffany lamps.) They were markedly less ornamented than Victorian homes and were the dominant house style of urban streetcar neighborhoods. One house that I just love in my hometown is a somewhat odd combination of Victorian fretwork outside (although definitely toned down) with a typical Foursquare layout and Arts & Crafts woodwork inside. It's like the builder couldn't quite figure out what he wanted!

By the way, I learned something new just a bit ago. A Cape Cod with a gambrel roof is called a Cape Ann.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-01-2016 at 01:19 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 01:37 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Just to pick a nit, a cape cod can also exist as 1/2 of what you describe, randomparent. There the door would be at the front but at one end, basically a house that was two rooms down and a sleeping room upstairs. Very early style. Later the 'other half' might be added on.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just to pick a nit, a cape cod can also exist as 1/2 of what you describe, randomparent. There the door would be at the front but at one end, basically a house that was two rooms down and a sleeping room upstairs. Very early style. Later the 'other half' might be added on.
Hmmmm. You've piqued my interest. Do you have a photo or link, per chance? I'd like to learn more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate