Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 01:54 PM

548 posts, read 816,306 times

Advertisements

The columns and porches are a later interpretation of the older archetypical style -- "Federal"; the White House is a particularly big and ornate version of that.

My neighborhood is a mix of mostly 1900-1940 Colonial Revivals (New England and Dutch) and actual 250 year old colonial-era homes. None of the 1750s ones have porches or columns, very spare like the photo that was posted. The 20th century ones are a mixed bag, but big porches are uncommon on the colonials and monumental columns almost unheard of. A fair number have a small cover over the immediate front door area, like 6' x 4' with two posts or iron work, but again, small. One 1930s Colonial Revival nearby does have huge columns -- ground to roofline, not just to a one-story porch -- but from old photos those were added within the last 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
How is that colonial? Where are the rounded columns on the front porch? In the older part of town in my market, which is only a handful of streets, that picture is not representative... You would need a covered front porch and columns. But that's just how each market is different.
As for Cape Cods, a front porch and off-center door rules them out? I used to live in a neighborhood of with a lot of 1875-1895 'Cape Cods' that meet the classic shape and 1.5 story, but mostly with full width front porches and doors at one side as often as centered. An early 'cape cod revival'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 01:55 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Hollytree-

I am in CT & in CT a four square is a colonial. Go into places such as New London & huge sections of the city are four squares. Agents call them colonials. No place on the MLS service for four squares.

What are they called in RI out of curiosity ?
Well that is the point. What I meant was a foursquare is not a colonial. A knowledgeable agent would check "other" in the listing (which does exist in the RI MLS) and call the house a foursquare. What I often see happening is agents who check multiple boxes to try to reel in everybody. I've seen houses with everything from bungalow to raised ranch checked. They'll also check off all kinds of water amenities when the house doesn't have any. When you google map it it's no where near water. And then they don't check flood insurance when it requires it! Really unprofessional. Doesn't seem to be any oversight at all.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

They listed this home as a Colonial Revival. This home is in my neighborhood and recently sold for $448,000. I had no idea what a Colonial Revival home was so I clicked on the link and found that the style is 2 or 3 story homes. The homes on my street were all originally single story. One owner years ago added a second story. That two story home looks nothing like a Colonial Revival. The home pictured does not look anything like a Colonial Revival.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:02 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That is a "Transitional." The name mimics the style. Transition between multiple styles.
Thanks for that. But it's still advertised as a colonial as I'm sure 99% of buyers wouldn't have any idea what transitional means.

BTW, a realtor told me that my "Grand Cape Cod" would be very desirable. I always knew it was Cape Cod but I guess a 2 story family room/master suite and garage addition on the side makes it "Grand." Is there a check box on the MLS for that?

Old 01-01-2016, 02:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
As for Cape Cods, a front porch and off-center door rules them out? I used to live in a neighborhood of with a lot of 1875-1895 'Cape Cods' that meet the classic shape and 1.5 story, but mostly with full width front porches and doors at one side as often as centered. An early 'cape cod revival'?
Hmmm. Another interesting addition to the discussion to ponder. Do you have photos to share?

Old 01-01-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

They listed this home as a Colonial Revival. This home is in my neighborhood and recently sold for $448,000. I had no idea what a Colonial Revival home was so I clicked on the link and found that the style is 2 or 3 story homes. The homes on my street were all originally single story. One owner years ago added a second story. That two story home looks nothing like a Colonial Revival. The home pictured does not look anything like a Colonial Revival.
Ha! Now that's funny. I lived in a house somewhat like that in northern Californa, built in the eighties. I remember when those homes hit the half-million point. I thought the entire world had lost its ever lovin' mind.

I appreciate that everyone seems to be having fun with this thread. When I reread my original post this morning, it struck me that I sounded kind of snotty, and I apologize for that. Honestly, I just love houses and the entire topic of domestic history. I spend hours and hours poring over old maps of my hometown tracking its development and looking for insight about how and why neighborhoods came to be, who lived there, and how they went about their daily lives. It's been very enjoyable learning about how others describe residential architecture. Thanks to everyone who's contributed!

Last edited by randomparent; 01-01-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 01-01-2016, 02:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Haha! It must be because of that "colonial" looking light fixture atop that randomly placed post in the middle of the entry. Which would absolutely drive me crazy btw, the first thing I would do is take a sledgehammer to that thing!

Old 01-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Haha! It must be because of that "colonial" looking light fixture atop that randomly placed post in the middle of the entry. Which would absolutely drive me crazy btw, the first thing I would do is take a sledgehammer to that thing!
Right there with you!

Old 01-01-2016, 02:25 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I would argue that a Foursquare is not a Colonial at all. It was a housing style dating from the post-Victorian period and aligned with Prairie School architecture and the Arts & Crafts movement. (Think Frank Lloyd Wright, Mission furniture, and Tiffany lamps.) They were markedly less ornamented than Victorian homes and were the dominant house style of urban streetcar neighborhoods. One house that I just love in my hometown is a somewhat odd combination of Victorian fretwork outside (although definitely toned down) with a typical Foursquare layout and Arts & Crafts woodwork inside. It's like the builder couldn't quite figure out what he wanted!

By the way, I learned something new just a bit ago. A Cape Cod with a gambrel roof is called a Cape Ann.
I am just as much if not more of a house/style geek as you so know that you are not alone

You are correct that a American Foursquare is considered part of the "modern" movement away from Victorian styles of the past, along with Arts & Crafts and the bungalow styles.

Here is another Colonial/Revival sub-style for you; a two story Colonial with an overhanging 2nd story is called a Garrison, named for the ability to "protect" your house by shooting down at enemy soldiers or maurading Indians banging at your front door from the protective slot that that overhang would create.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Ha! Now that's funny. I lived in a house somewhat like that in northern Californa, built in the eighties. I remember when those homes hit the half-million point. I thought the entire world had lost its ever lovin' mind.
These homes were built in the early 1960's and they are not large. The home pictured is just over 1,500 square feet on a 6,000 square foot lot (60'X100'). In early 2007 these homes were hitting the high 600K low 700K range. In 2000 you could have picked one up for under $200,000. My home sold for about $190,000 in 2000. In 2005 it resold for $585,000. In 2007 the owners at the time pulled out equity to buy a new home for just under $900,000. By 2010 they lost our home as the value had been going down. We heard from a neighbor that they had walked away from the $900,000 home. We were in the market in 2010 for a home. We picked up our home for just over $300,000 and thought it was a bargain. Our mortgage cost us about what we were paying for our 2 bedroom apartment. In the 5 years we have been in the home the neighborhood increased in value from the $300,000 mark up to the mid $400,000 mark. Doesn't paper wealth make you feel good. LOL

All we care about is paying off the home. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate