Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So you aren't aware that some realtors take family and friends to see the house in order to make it look like they are getting showings? There are also realtors that work with buyers where they appear to be working to get the price down and representing the buyer, not the seller. You really need to learn a lot more about the quirks that can be involved. Our neighbor was going out with his realtor friend looking for houses to create showings. A realtor is a salesperson and they need listings and showings, real or otherwise to keep business. Let's them say "It isn't me, it's you/your house."

No, you were right. We have sold 4 houses. Some people see a house on the market and just like to look. They are often looking for years for just that "right" house and then still never buy. You can kind of tell when the realtor brings some of them because the realtor looks like they just can't take it anymore which is a good indication of "lookers". You can also tell the people seem to be having "fun" and viewing with the intention of buying isn't all that much fun.

Realtors used to be better when there were more buyers in locations where we were. They would actually make sure the potential buyer had done some leg work so that "pending" became "sold". So many buyers don't qualify for a loan, even a basic chat would reveal that to the realtor.

Do not give up and rent out your current house since they always get around to suggesting that since there are usually more people looking for rentals than houses to purchase anymore.
It's been awhile since I've read a post with this much nonsense AND inaccurate generalizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:23 AM

79 posts, read 85,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Three months seems a fair amount of time to test the market. If your home is looks good, then the price is too high for the market right now.

As to the mad dash of cleaning followed by the disappointment of not receiving any offers, I would suggest making life easier on yourself. If your home is basically clean, come up with a 45 minutes list of things to do before showings and stick with that.

"Show towels" are not to be touched. The rest of the towels got pitched in the wash machine.

Cleaning wipes (Costco has larger ones, some with wee "scrubbing" nubs) used on sinks, tubs, counters, and toilets for a quick spiffy and nice clean aroma.

Floors vacuumed. Dogs, bowls and beds removed.

The easiest way to deal with kid mess is to seriously declutter. Get rid of everything that doesn't bring joy. Pack up and put in storage anything you don't plan to use within the next two months.

Pack up your photo albums, holiday decorations, summer clothes, good china, toys and kitchen gear you aren't using now, anything you want to keep but don't plan to use the next two months. Haul it all to a storage unit.

Your home will look more spacious and you'll have less to fool with with the mad rush is on.

Plus, when your house sells, you'll be ready to go.
Good tips. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't know how people do it. We have lived in our house for 34 years. I always say we have always stayed here because we are too lazy to have our house "ready to sell".

Good luck to you--I hope it sells soon.
Thanks! Yes, enjoy your home if you don't need to move for sure

Old 01-02-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The last time we went through this I got so fed up! agents would call with 15 minutes notice, while I'm home alone with 2 kids under 3 years old. Or we would bust a$$ to get everything tidied up and get out of the house only to have them be an hour late, and just be arriving when we get home; or sometimes we'd find out they never came while we stayed away for an hour.

I was finally so over it, that I said "no" to a showing one evening. They ended up coming back the next day and making an offer.
It's the worst especially with young kids and pets. I don't mind doing it if the people are actually looking to buy something, even if it's not mine, but these folks are making me batty LOL

Old 01-02-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think that's when it happens. There are a few job transfers and so forth around the holidays, but most people are probably getting geared up to put their house on the market in March.
My realtor did some analysis for me and showed that around here very little goes under contract from December to about March, which makes sense with the schools. Which makes me think we should just pull it off until then but I do think there is value in having on the internet and all that until then.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The key takeaway? 3 months, 15 showings, no offers. Your price is not right. It is too high. Everything else is noise.
I'm not going to give the details of the pricing and everything else because I would have to essentially post my address to do that to convince people on here. Trust me it is priced right. Or don't trust me, I don't care. The people who come through are not going on to buy something else, they aren't passing on my house, they aren't buyers. If you have a house to sell that you bought in the bubble that isn't even on the market yet, you are not a real buyer. If you are a downsizer whose house isn't on the market yet, you are not a real buyer. If you are a tenant with ten months left on their lease you may be a real buyer in the future, but not today. That is the people we are getting. I hope this will change in the spring.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yep, that was my thought as well. That's just a little more than one showing a week. What's normal for your market? That seems like a very low amount of showings unless you are talking about a very expensive home. And no offers, not even a low ball. Something is off.
We got three verbal offers with a contingency that they needed to sell their house first to which we said don't bother killing a tree for that. I don't count them as offers in my head but there they are.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
When our house was on the market we had one showing where they stayed for 2 and a half hours.
this was a first viewing, who the hell traipses around someone else's home for 2.5 hours!
If we ever try to sell again there will be a strict 30 min. limit.

bill
Crazy rude. I don't even know what you look at for 2.5 hours.

We had people talk in our driveway for 45 minutes after the showing. I kept driving by periodically with the dog and the kids. I wanted to throttle them.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:40 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
First off, a vacant house ALWAYS shows better.
That is absolutely, 100% false. Every marketing study has proven that.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I never want to sell our home. We plan on living there for the next 100 years and then give it to our grand kids.

Not sure if we will make it to the 100 point but I am betting you get what I am saying.
Good plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate