Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:52 AM

912 posts, read 915,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
A new listing came up on the mls for the area I am looking at. One of the bedrooms has a very prominent confederate flag. I am curious what other's reactions would be to it.
While I agree with others that the flag doesn't come with the house, your first impressions of a house (and seller) stay with you. That's why, when staging your home for sale, you are typically advised to remove all religious paraphernalia, personal family photos, etc. A confederate flag (and any flag, really), given its controversy, would fall in the same category, IMO.

So, if it bothers you and you can mentally get past it, go for the house. If you can't, move on. FWIW, in some cases I was able to look beyond family photos and religious decor (despite that I'm not heavily religious). In other cases, I wasn't able to look beyond the gun sitting openly on the patio table next to the family eating their brunch (in their robes, no less -- in an upscale neighborhood in Encinitas!). My ex-husband wanted the house, but that mental imagine was too much for me to get past so we passed. The family and their gun didn't come with the house any more than that flag, but the impression was made for a lifetime. I say all that to say, only you can make that call.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:00 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
I could care less if anyone selling a house displayed a Confederate flag inside the house - or outside either, to be honest. I'd be a lot more hesitant to buy a house if it was the only one in the neighborhood NOT flying a Confederate flag and every other house had one. Although I have to admit, the Confederate flag is still pretty popular around these parts as a decorating theme, lol. And my neighbors are mostly nice people.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:05 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
this is so silly.........flags are flags and the confederate flag is part of our history and it may have a different meaning for different folks .....what's next if we see a flag of Britain, Mexico, Japan, Germany or Vietnam we are going to get offended, we went to war with those countries.

Lets stop being political correct, its killing the country.....you are buying an empty house, not the belongings of the seller.........I'm sure somebody is going to feel offended with one or two things or more things of my personal items, especially hardcore feminists.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:07 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I couldn't have said this any better. Those that are offended by the Gadsden flag (Don't Tread on Me) should have stayed awake during their history lessons. The flag dates back to the Revolutionary War, when Europe was exporting their convicted felons to the New Colonies. Benjamin Franklin wrote one of the first editorials (and first political cartoon) suggesting the Colonies send rattle snakes back to Europe. At one time the snake was cut up into pieces, representing each colony. I find it very sad that we can't see before 2009 (when Tea Party adopted the flag), where this flag has a deep history in the founding of our country. Or do we want to sanitize that part of our history, too?
I never knew that, thx for sharing. I have seen that flag here and there but never knew it was associated with the Tea Party or with the earlier history you noted. My "learn something new" for today - much appreciated!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:09 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I sure as hell wouldn't. Likely trashy rednecks, and they tend to live in groups.
Wow, is this like someone saying trashy ghetto people live in groups? Some peoples ignorance never ceases to amaze me.
I'd be more afraid to buy a house nest to this person than someone who displays a confederate flag in a bedroom. You a remove the flag, but not an ignorant neighbor.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 AM

299 posts, read 557,250 times
Yeah... how stupid. A restaurant reviewer, visiting my city, got all bent out of shape and ranted in her review because she saw a Confederate flag flying in front of one of the area homes. Well, it turns out that house was owned by a retired guy who does Civil War re-enactments and plays the role of a Confederate general in them. So yeah, he has EVERY right to want to fly that on his home and it doesn't mean anything negative.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:19 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
the Civil War is part of our history. Many brave men died on both sides, it was the bloodiest war the Americans has fought. It has a different meaning for different folks and is not as black and white like some are trying to paint it.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Thats like not buying a house due to a tacky mailbox.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:32 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I never knew that, thx for sharing. I have seen that flag here and there but never knew it was associated with the Tea Party or with the earlier history you noted. My "learn something new" for today - much appreciated!

It's very similar to how the Nazi's took a symbol of prosperity and turned it negatively.

Did some work in a very old lady's house a while back that had a bookshelf arranged in a swastika pattern with religious artifacts on it. During lunch one of the other guys commented "Should we report this lady for possibly being a Nazi?" I had to explain to him that the symbol in this context had a religious significance.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:33 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the Civil War is part of our history. Many brave men died on both sides, it was the bloodiest war the Americans has fought. It has a different meaning for different folks and is not as black and white like some are trying to paint it.
Again, +1.

My fear is political correctness will rewrite history and our grandchildren, and their children, will only get a sanitized version of what really happened. Kind of like the thinking there are no trophies for first and second place.....to now, our fathers have no sins. I find this thinking very, very scary, how will we (as a society) ever learn by our mistakes if we whitewash all of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate