Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,191 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for all your positive wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:06 AM

86 posts, read 243,099 times
There is old saying: Good madicine tastes bitter. Just like Couponjack's posts, they are not cheerful but true.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,522,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meimei88 View Post
There is old saying: Good madicine tastes bitter. Just like Couponjack's posts, they are not cheerful but true.
So true. I also think like Couponjack sometimes about the price of a home.If I had stuck to what I thought was a quick sale price and not had my agent and husband saying way to low we most likly would have had our home sold.Now hubby and the new agent is listening to me a few months to late.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 AM

2,766 posts, read 5,522,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
So true. I also think like Couponjack sometimes about the price of a home.If I had stuck to what I thought was a quick sale price and not had my agent and husband saying way to low we most likly would have had our home sold.Now hubby and the new agent is listening to me a few months to late.
I posted this reply on the wrong thread so here goes again.

CouponJack goes crazy on this but we are now the proud owners of two homes. We did it because of a lot of reasons which I will not share but we are happy though I am a bit scared. We can swing it no problem but it would be nice to only have one home. BTW hubby said he should have priced right from the get go but he thought we put to much money in this house.I am keeping my mouth shut and not telling him if we had done what I wanted in the beginning we wouldn't still be putting money in the house. It is so hard not to say that to him but sorry men on this board a lot of you feel the same way my hubby did.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:31 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
That's a nice speech, but unfortunately what YOU want buyers to do will not happen. They are going to pay the absolute lowest price they can (and why blame them?)

Again, NO ONE blamed sellers 3-5 years ago for selling for outrageous prices in many areas. Now the shoe is on the other foot and people are crying the blues about "lowballs" and "living within their own means". WHERE WERE ALL YOU PEOPLE 3-5 YEARS AGO? Now that your selling or you have a vested interest your crying the blues. People are so hypocritical its rediculous.

Let the market play itself out. If you can sell for the amount you want, great. But there's no rule on what a house "should" be valued. Its only worth what someone will pay. If you are in a market that overheated OR there's a limited amount of buyers THEN ITS BASIC SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

Of course people should "live within their means", however the REALITY is most people don't. People today are blitzed by different entities to entice them to overextend themselves. If they don't have the will to fight back that's their problem. And judging by the finances of the majority of today, its obv we have a financial crisis.

Its GREAT that the market is doing what its doing. Getting back to tough standards and getting back to historical norms....
As I've stated before, not ALL of us are in areas that are seeing declines. The OP is in one such and her area is NOT going down. In fact the city she lives in has one of the highest appreciation rates in our state and still seeing growth (good growth). This is also a state that has always had slow and steady appreciation rates and not the runups in other areas that you have experienced. She HAS priced her house accordingly and actually LOWER than what she probably REALLY could get for it.

If these buyers only want to spend $250K for a property then they need to be looking at homes in THAT price range especially if they are looking in an area that is NOT in a bubble (or bursting bubble like so many other areas). What THESE buyers need to understand and others like them is that they have a budget and there are homes in THAT budget for sale and their are houses that are over THAT budget for sale. They should not expect sellers to pansy down to them just because all they want to spend is $250K but they REALLY like the $350K house. What your trying to say is that the seller should be happy someone actually wants her house no matter the amount and that includes EXTREMELY LOW offers that should not even be put on the table. Buyers today need to be just like buyers everyday and that is do not expect a seller that is asking $350K for their property to come down to $250K because the buyer says that is all they have to spend. If the market in her area is dictating thru comps and tax appraisal rates that it is worth $350K then she has every right to ask that. As I said before these are the types of buyers that get into SERIOUS trouble when they get into a house that is worth more than they can afford for really cheap. The appraisal is still going to come back at the higher amount. The tax office is still going to appraise it at that higher price and expect taxes on it. The upkeep is going to be more and they won't be able to afford ANY OF IT. Then they will be playng the "blame the seller" game.

If what YOUR saying REALLY does work then I'm going shopping for a new house and car tomorrow . There is a house around the corner for sale that is listed for $1.2M. I'll go offer them $500K because according to you that is all it is worth, " Its only worth what someone will pay" and this someone only wants to pay $500K. I'd also like the new BMW 650i Convertible. It says they start at $82,700 but I only want to spend $50K Millie, if they take the $50K do you want one too?

Again for the umpteenth time, this seller is NOT in an area that OVER DEVELOPED nor is it experiencing a bubble of any kind. Real Estate is VERY localized and what plays out in one area is totally different than what plays out in another. Her market has NOT "overheated" nor does it have a very small limited number of buyers.

Where was I 5 years ago? I was out looking at houses and lots. Ended up buying one and am happy to say it is NOT FOR SALE (well, unless someone knocked on the door and offered me a sum I could not pass up ) and it HAS gone UP in value. Houses in my area SELL in no time if they are in the right condition. I know of one that just spent $10K on their house, put it on the market and got list for it w/in the first two weeks. Only thing is now it is going to make my value go up which means higher taxes, bummer.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:07 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
As I've stated before, not ALL of us are in areas that are seeing declines. The OP is in one such and her area is NOT going down. In fact the city she lives in has one of the highest appreciation rates in our state and still seeing growth (good growth). This is also a state that has always had slow and steady appreciation rates and not the runups in other areas that you have experienced. She HAS priced her house accordingly and actually LOWER than what she probably REALLY could get for it.

Ok, let me ask you a question.

The OP is on her THIRD realtor since last May. She's listed for 310,000 and was "offended" at an offer for 10% below her "asking" price.

But you are in her camp and since San Antonio is "not going down" "has the highest appreciation rates in the state" "blah, blah, blah" , she is priced right.....

Look at her history closely again. Are you SURE you want to believe that she is priced LOWER than what she could get for it???

Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,606,430 times
Firstly Mumof2 yes please can you order me a nice red one !!! lol
Yes I am on my 3rd Realtor as we live in a manned gated community we do not have drive by traffic. The last two were not advertising it only MLS, this one is doing her job. If you look at the comps (if you are familiar with this area)you will see as we have that it is priced below or the same as those in our area. No I am not prepared to take $30000 below list price as I stated earlier I am not a registered charity.As we all know the last 3 months of last year were difficult for the economy so we are prepared to sit it out would rather do that than give it away.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 PM

Well said...same with us..we are not going to give away our home. It would be better for us to sell but we can hang on, too...not everyone is desperate to sell...and I agree..why look at a 500,000 house if you can only afford a 400,000 one. I wouldn't do that, get my hopes us, then everything in the right price range looks cruddy. We have purchased and sold several homes over the last 10 years, not once did i look at one over our price range..no point..Millie have you heard anything from your buyers...they might be more trouble than they are worth...

Old 02-15-2008, 05:50 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,606,430 times
That is exactly what I have said from the beginning that "if" they buy it will be a long drawn out procedure.
So hopefully they will back out.
Our agent is being an angel over all of this she is very direct and on the same wavelength as us - which is good.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Sometimes you just get a feeling..a bad feeling..i am surprised their agent would even let them make an offer without having a loan in place..he or she is probably tearing their hair out...

Let us know what happens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate