Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:14 PM

403 posts, read 939,638 times

Advertisements

We were in this situation last year and had a toddler and baby. For the first week, we cooperated with the landlord in showing the house as much as possible and with as little notice as possible. We kept the house immaculate (not easy with baby stuff everywhere) and left the house for each walkthrough if possible. Sometimes the baby would be napping and we couldn't leave the house and that was always awkward. Especially when they would sneak in his room to take a look and comment on him sleeping. Total invasion of privacy. Also it was annoying when we would find they left lights on or doors unlocked or it looked like the restroom was used. Ugh! It was the worst when we would leave the house and the people didn't show up. But we figured if we put in the effort up front, the house would sell much more quickly. By the end of the first week (when the amount of showings are the highest) we were truly exhausted and asked the landlord to give us more notice before showings and set up a time limit for how late they could show the house. But luckily by that point, someone from the first week wanted the house. Which was our plan...make sure it sells FAST to get it over with. Haha. Good luck, I know that it is so annoying and disruptive. I tried to tell myself that this is the chance I took in renting but it really didn't make me feel any better. Also, check your lease to see what it stipulates in this situation. I was told we would get 24 hour notice but agents are always trying to squeeze in a showing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 02:54 PM

741 posts, read 594,246 times
The owner may be willing to let us out of our lease early to facilitate showings more easily. Is there a boilerplate addendum document that we can both sign to that effect? We would of course give full 30 days or more notice once we're under contract for a house and would do all the required cleaning at move out.

ETA: should this thread be moved to the renting boards?

Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 PM

254 posts, read 466,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Maybe you should reconsider buying the house you're in. You know the positives and negatives, a real plus. And no moving or storage costs, which could easily cost $15k.
What? $15k for moving costs? Possible but definitely not easy. Last moving company I used was $125 an hour, and not the cheapest company in town. That would mean it would take 120 hours, or 3 full time weeks, to move. You could move twice and store it for a month in the middle and most likely not come close to $15k.

Don't pick the house you're going to spend the next decade in because its what happens to be slightly convenient right now.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:15 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,148,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I know in my state it is 24 hours for each showing. The owner does not have to be present, neither does the occupant/tenant.

If your lease said (and most do) that you agree to cooperate with showings and/or sale of the property, then you can't decline to allow the lockbox or to allow the showings.

I would suggest keeping the dog either gone or crated for showings. If your dog decided he didn't like someone and bit them, you'd be liable.
I don't normally respond to this section but I do read it. I usually agree with your advice but this is the second thread you have posted on recently where I disagree with your advice... so I felt I needed to post my response. Nothing personal because I usually agree with the advice you give to OP.s.

I know for fact that you can refuse a lock box as a renter, if the landlord or renter is /or cannot be present during showings, in VA.

I also know that if you agree to a lock box with a 24 hour notice, for showings... that if the house is shown without that notice, you are not liable for your dog biting someone who entered you house without proper notice.

I know this for a fact because I was sued and went to court for this exact situation and won. I was not given any notice so they did not have my permission to enter my house. I was unaware that I had to secure my dogs that day because I was never given notice. The lock box was attached to my door unbeknownst to me. The suing party appealed their loss. I won again on that appeal.

My landlord was then sued and was found at fault. He then tried to sue me and lost that as well.

Not that it matters but... maybe it does...I am a renter and a homeowner who has renters in 3 different states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate