Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Having or Not Having a Sidewalk a deal breaker?
I would not buy a house with a sidewalk. 9 7.83%
I prefer not to have a sidewalk, but it's not a deal breaker. 19 16.52%
I prefer to have sidewalks, but not having them is not a deal breaker. 51 44.35%
I would not buy a house (neighborhood) without a sidewalk. 28 24.35%
Go fly a kite. 8 6.96%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:16 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times

Advertisements

In many places, cities and towns require a developer or builder put in sidewalks. It's not just older neighborhoods that have them.

I live near a subdivision with 1 acre lots, minimum. Silly thing to me that they had to put in sidewalks. Other than walking the neighborhood, there is no place to go nearby.

My current neighborhood doesn't have them because the lots are all at least 3 acres. It would be darn expensive to put in several hundred feet of sidewalk.

I've lived with them on smaller lots. It was great for the kids when they were little, but I hated the extra snow shoveling. Some cities/towns require snow be shoveled from sidewalks within 24 hours of a snow fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
We never buy homes with sidewalks. Don't want to shovel them. Don't want to take care of a strip of grass between sidewalk and street. Don't want people walking their dogs on our lawns and garden beds.

Don't mind them across the street. I just won't buy a home with a sidewalk in front.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
We don't have them in my neighborhood and walking the dogs can be a pita to dangerous because of that.... particularly up towards the front of the subdivision where it seems like every other house has at least one car parked in the street, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.... nearly all of the houses have at least 1-car garages, but heaven forbid that a garage be used for its intended purpose!!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:18 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
I'm unable to drive, so I won't live in a neighborhood without sidewalks, and places to walk to.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:50 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Go fly a kite.

On your sidewalk?

Old 03-24-2016, 10:17 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
It's the irresponsible pet owners that makes me detest a sidewalk in front of my home. These types rarely clean up after their pet whether they do their business on your property, the actual sidewalk or devil strip. Aside from this, sidewalks are a positive and add safety to the neighborhood.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:26 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
We don't have significant snow here, so I will never have to get snow off my sidewalk. I think it's nice to have sidewalks because I like to go for short walks, without having to walk in the street. One thing I love about my new neighborhood is that it is so walkable. My lawn service does not charge extra for edging around them or mowing the part between the sidewalks and the street.

Last month I had my sidewalks taken up and re-poured, and now they are really lovely, smooth, and fun to walk on. So yes, I like sidewalks.

Between 2005-2011 we were thinking of moving to Springfield, Missouri, but changed our minds and decided to stay in New Orleans. Had we moved to Springfield, I am thinking that I probably would not have wanted sidewalks because of the snow shoveling. In Springfield I would have paid more to not have sidewalks. In New Orleans I probably would not pay more, or pay less, for a home with sidewalks but I personally enjoy having them here at my new home.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:10 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
We have sidewalks and I like having them when I'm out for one of my late night walkies with my dogs. Yes the down side is having to shovel them and we have to pay half the bill to repair them here, but where are the deer supposed to walk at night when there's a lot of snow?

Yes I see them walking on shoveled side walks vs the unplowed streets. That smile alone makes it worth while to have sidewalks. There's something you just don't see every day. I miss the fox that I used to see running around on the sidewalk on the block behind our house. It's been over a year since I've seen it now.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:00 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Unless you're out in the country, sidewalks. No sidewalks is cheap. tacky, and antisocial.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:49 PM

455 posts, read 464,052 times
I live in a suburban neighborhood with sidewalks on both sides of the street. We have a lot of walkers and the side walks come in handy. As a homeowner, we refer to the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street as the "Nuisance Strip." The city won't let you install a sprinkler system that covers it so it much be watered the old-fashioned way. I also have to edge it which adds to the yard work. Still, it's worth it for my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate