Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:59 PM

179 posts, read 122,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Simply don't look at your neighbors house.
Doesn't understand the concept of "property value".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 03:38 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post

We don't have such an organization that can enter people's yards and remove the animals.
If you live in Anchorage, call Animal Control. It's listed under municipality services. They can and do come out and investigate animal welfare cases.

Anywhere else in Alaska, call the municipality or the police department and ask which dept. handles this.

It is legal to chain a dog up outside in Alaska, but you have to provide adequate shelter and care.

Quote:

I don't know. On the one side, we need to downsize so I think of selling that won't be possible with such a trashy neighbors. OTOS, if we stay, it will be unbearable since spring is coming.

Dog doo everywhere in Alaska when the spring thaw comes. Takes a week or two to get it picked up.

Quote:

I dunno, why should I, a homeowner, stop living there because of one junkie? I want this junkie to move into the woods with his dog and let it run wild and be happy. It's one of the best neighborhoods in town, except for this house, that wasn't bad even 4 months ago. When you fart, you think people are supposed to be happy with it, since it's your body's gas? If I wanted to live in the woods, I would do this.

And i want our neighbors to plant raspberries.

Quote:

I'm in 10%. If the dues are reasonable. I would move into a condo right away if I could find one that allows dogs, has fenced section of the backyard, is a 2-story (hate upper neighbors) and doesn't charge much extra for so-called "management fees"

3225 Montclaire Ct Unit 14 C, Anchorage, AK 99503 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

3241 Montpelier Ct Unit 9 B, Anchorage, AK 99503 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

3335 Mount Vernon Ct Unit 3 F, Anchorage, AK 99503 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

3321 Mount Vernon Ct Unit 4 B, Anchorage, AK 99503 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

The above Anchorage townhomes all have fenced in backyards. I'll bet there are more.

This could be an opportunity,

Old 03-27-2016, 04:01 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you live in Anchorage....

Dog doo everywhere in Alaska when the spring thaw comes. Takes a week or two to get it picked up.

And i want our neighbors to plant raspberries.

The above Anchorage townhomes all have fenced in backyards. I'll bet there are more.

This could be an opportunity,
No, I don't live in Anchorage.
Dog doo is where nobody picks it up. My dog's poop is cleaned once a week.
Our neighborhood is single family, so there should be no renters, it's - in theory - as you buy it. While many people violate this (owners get older, retire, become empty-nesters, have extra room but are short of money etc.), this is the only house with TRASHED yard. So yes, in this case I have a right to want raspberries, as you put it. I'm kinda entitled.
Their yard is fenced with chain link fence. So it doesn't help.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Does the state health department have any rules about dog poop that shouldn't be on the ground? Some states have such laws and often the county health department enforces this law. You can try to call your county or state health department and file a complaint about dog poop on the ground as a health code violation. If it's a state law then they will take the compaint and go to the property and give the neighbor a warning to pick up the poop. They usually give a week or so for them to do it and revisit to ensure it's picked up, else they fine the neighbor. You might be able to file the complaint as an anonymous person. But if you do this they won't call you back to give status of the complaint. If your state doesn't have such a law they will tell you when you attempt to file the complaint.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,508 times
OK,
I took a short route: from my door to a car where the dog owner was sitting. Told him he has to clean this trash out. His surprise was genuine: "What trash?" I usually don't answer rhetorical questions, but this time I had to be blunt: "This poop and trash from the broken trampoline etc. And you might want to do so before snow melts." The boy said OK.
A minute later he took off and then I spoke to another neighbor, and it turned out that another neighbor's daughter is running this place, and the guy was happy to hear my complains - "Oh, I'll call her right away and tell her that people around complain and she will have to deal with this guy!"
Then he told me more about that poor animal. I thought the owner is a bachelor who works around the clock. But no, he lives with a wife and even when a wife is home she doesn't bother to take a dog inside. The dog looks somehow autistic, but likes her male owner for sure, I saw it wags its tail when he comes back.
It all sucks. But it might be resolved (for me) in a war-free way. Don't know whether the dog's fate will be better, though. If they give it away, there are slim chances for it to be adopted again, a big furry animal with a lack of character.
But thank you all. If the nice neighbor wasn't the owner's father, I might have to escalate. I will still need to do this if the nice guy moves out.
It's better here to take matters in your own hands then go seek help from authorities. First, we are outside city limits, second, there is so much of "love for freedom" that people will rather hurt themselves than follow the reasonable requests from the governing body. They burn trash and smell this air during the entire winter, as it seems, just to annoy borough authorities who bang their heads about the wall for years trying to finalize the rules and ordinances that will allow to reduce air pollution - and every winter there are months of air quality alerts, when soot particles exceed norm by 20-30 times.
So my identity is revealed, I'm in open confrontation with the guy, and I hope it will turn OK but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate