Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:53 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,515,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Normal people enjoy them? No, it's called ignorance, as Glade PlugIns contain phthalates which are harmful to humans, fragile or not. But don't take my word for it.

Here's a partial list of products containing phthalates:

Yet our government/the FDA approves using these items. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 06:32 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Yet our government/the FDA approves using these items. What's up with that?
I'm not aware of the FDA approving air fresheners. Please post link. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
yeah, and you'll die if you submerge yourself in dihydrogen monoxide too long too.

Grow up - not everyone selling a house is Snidely Whiplash, trying to "trick" you somehow.

You can't "cover" mold, cat ****, or cigarette smoke smells with a plug-in.

FFS, there was a three-page thread on here a couple days ago about someone who saw <gasp>, a TOILET BRUSH! during an open house.

News flash, toilet brushes & air fresheners are just as likely to be necessary in houses that are for sale because the people touring them leave bombs in unflushed toilets & other assorted nastiness. I'll gladly remove both the air fresheners *and* the toilet brush from the next home I sell, if you'll agree to wear a butt-plug when you're viewing it.
Wow!

My guess is air fresheners are the least of your worries.

The thread was on a toilet plunger not a brush. A small point, but nonetheless.

You, of course, are welcome to leave out both as well as any of your personal hygiene supplies that you use or expect guests in your home to use.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
If you are trying to sell your home-might consider getting rid of the plug-ins.

We were in the market to buy a home the past few months, still might be who knows yet. Two homes we went into in 45' and 48' had those disgusting plug-ins and they had one in every room!

It is not only disgusting and polluting to people like us, but can be a sign you are covering up a smell.

In our case we had to run out of the two homes within 3 minutes because we could not breathe.

What was also scary was each home had a cat, and one of the homes seemed to have a child live there.

What future health issues might your family (including pets) get from choosing to put these chemicals in your proximity to breathe 24 hours a day. The poor cat's head is level with the stuff!
You're buying a used house (mobile home?) The previous occupants have the right to have kids, pets, in other words to LIVE in THEIR home. If you're that concerned about "chemicals," and (absolutely everything is made up of chemicals, BTW), you can always buy new. Lots of people use plug-ins. I did when I was selling my house because it was unoccupied, so I didn't want it to get that stale, empty smell. It was a large house (2500 sq feet) and I only used 4, I think. Besides, if plug-ins were dangerous, they would not be on the market. And if the owners are covering up a bad smell due to rot, pet smells, or leakage of something, the inspector should discover this.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:23 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wow!

My guess is air fresheners are the least of your worries.

The thread was on a toilet plunger not a brush. A small point, but nonetheless.

You, of course, are welcome to leave out both as well as any of your personal hygiene supplies that you use or expect guests in your home to use.

The point is, it's not *your* house. Judging the character & morality of the owners, as well as disparaging their habits of cleanliness based on a presence of an air freshener is absurd & asinine.

Wild speculation about "why" a seller might choose to deploy an air freshener isn't warranted, nor are claims that simply walking through a house with an air freshener is going to give you horrific health consequences.

If you are so "fragile" that an item as common as a plug-in will send you into a medical emergency, you're not "normal" and the world isn't set-up to handle you, nor should it be.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:59 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,942,174 times
Quote:
The point is, it's not *your* house. Judging the character & morality of the owners, as well as disparaging their habits of cleanliness based on a presence of an air freshener is absurd & asinine.

Wild speculation about "why" a seller might choose to deploy an air freshener isn't warranted, nor are claims that simply walking through a house with an air freshener is going to give you horrific health consequences.

If you are so "fragile" that an item as common as a plug-in will send you into a medical emergency, you're not "normal" and the world isn't set-up to handle you, nor should it be.
Right, when I was a buyer the houses I viewed were not *my* house, so for example the sellers are more than welcome to leave dirty diapers and much other trash on the floor in the living room (as one seller did when I looked at their house years ago). The reverse side of that coin is that I wasn't entranced with the dirty diaper house, just as I wouldn't be entranced with the houses that stink of Glade plug-ins. I bought another house. Maybe the dirty diaper house would have been just fine once it was tidied up, and maybe the Glade house would have smelled lovely without the plug-ins. But buyers sometimes have a hard time imagining these things. I really tried but just couldn't visualize myself living in the dirty diaper house and I ended up buying another house.

Nobody is putting a gun to the head of the sellers and saying they CAN'T use strongly scented chemical air fresheners. As you point out, it's their house! Plug-ins do turn some buyers away, that's all. I think that is all that anybody is trying to say, here. No need to get defensive; it's just information. Possibly the house might appeal to more buyers if you tried something like baking cookies instead. But if you have enough buyers to sell your house immediately at a high price anyway, it probably doesn't matter to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
First thing we tell our listing clients on a walk-through: "Lose the air fresheners. Now."

Most people don't like them. That's reason enough to ditch them if you are trying to sell a house. If it's your house, and your like "fresh floral fragrance", then hey, have at it. If you are trying to SELL a house, then they just make people suspicious and make them gag. NOT what you want them to remember when you are selling your house!

I understand it, I really do. People think that "oh, after a few minutes, no one will notice it, their nose will get used to it, and it will leave a subliminal fresh smell." Nope. That's the marketing. That's not the reality.

Clean your dang house -- THAT impresses clients. Air fresheners aren't going to hide a dirty rug, a bathroom that hasn't been scrubbed to within an inch of its life, or the litter box in the laundry room.
+1000 As a former buyer who has suffered through at least one or two homes that were too strongly scented, I couldn't agree more.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,721 times
From what I've heard, put a pot of coffee on or bake cookies, because it gives the house that "smells like home" feel to it.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:28 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,082,057 times
Quote:
If you're so "fragile" that a glade plug-in will send you into a spin, you should only be looking at new builds. My costco store has 2 pallets of plug-ins on the floor, because lots of normal (non delicate) people enjoy them.
Last time I was at Costco they had pallets of cigarettes as well.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
When we were house hunting a few years ago, we looked at a house where they had a glade plugin in EVERY room of the house. It was extremely overpowering and our first thought was that they were covering something up. Sure enough, we made it down into the basement and we could smell mold in the crawl space.

I'm a firm believer in that a clean house has no smell to it at all.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:49 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times
I understand the OPs concern. I cannot tolerate artificial scents.

I was in a department store earlier. As the customer ahead of me paid and left, I stopped up to the register to take her place. My lungs seized from the scent of her lingering perfume. I literally could barely take in my next breath. I would take someone's cigarette and cigar smell over the stink of perfume any day. Some women feel they have to bath in it, having no care that it's like tear gas to the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate